The Student Room Group

Impossible assignments for a basic class Geology, PLEASE HELP

Hey you guys! Im aware how bad it might look like when a newly-registred user asks for help like this, but I really got no choice. See, the thing is, Im taking this internet class in basic geology, but Im finding myself totally unable to even try to guess the answers to this test. I have have read the chapter in the only text book "earth: portrait of a planet" about this subject a million times already, googled like crazy but still no luck!
I would really appreciate it indescribely much if anyone would be able to help out with any of theese questions. I am genuinly interesed in the earth, and not a lazy at all.

http://i.imgur.com/iEzOa.gif
What is the approximate direction of the subduction at 20 S 70 W?
What is the approximate vertical slope of the subduction along with 20 s?

Focal depths of earthquakes along a subduction zone (unit: km)

Based on the Brunhes / Matuyama magnet reversed area is 11.7 km from the back axle in the Central Atlantic, how fast moving seabed away from the back axle?
Based on the Matuyama / Gauss magnetic reversed area is 38.7 km from the back axle in the Central Atlantic, what is the rate of spreading of the back?

Absolute age of Brunhes / Matuyama magnet reversed integers: 0.78 M.yr. (millions of years)
Absolute age Matuyama / Gauss magnetic reversed integers: 2.58 M.yr. (millions of years)

What part of the discovery of plate tectonics did Patrick Blackett contribute to?
Thank you dearest anyone whom might reply!
Reply 1
I do A Level Geology and don't have the faintest clue.

A quick google reveals blackett had analysed data about paleomagnetism (Earth magnetic field ect ect) which reverses every so thousands of years, which changes the rocks whcih can be picked up by equipment. he also provided evidence for continental drift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Blackett,_Baron_Blackett
Hi!!!
did you solve the problem? because I have the same problem now!
please let me know if you fixed it somehow
Hi I have the same problem!!!
please tell me how you fixed it.
Original post by siruxes
Hey you guys! Im aware how bad it might look like when a newly-registred user asks for help like this, but I really got no choice. See, the thing is, Im taking this internet class in basic geology, but Im finding myself totally unable to even try to guess the answers to this test. I have have read the chapter in the only text book "earth: portrait of a planet" about this subject a million times already, googled like crazy but still no luck!
I would really appreciate it indescribely much if anyone would be able to help out with any of theese questions. I am genuinly interesed in the earth, and not a lazy at all.

http://i.imgur.com/iEzOa.gif
What is the approximate direction of the subduction at 20 S 70 W?
What is the approximate vertical slope of the subduction along with 20 s?

Focal depths of earthquakes along a subduction zone (unit: km)

Based on the Brunhes / Matuyama magnet reversed area is 11.7 km from the back axle in the Central Atlantic, how fast moving seabed away from the back axle?
Based on the Matuyama / Gauss magnetic reversed area is 38.7 km from the back axle in the Central Atlantic, what is the rate of spreading of the back?

Absolute age of Brunhes / Matuyama magnet reversed integers: 0.78 M.yr. (millions of years)
Absolute age Matuyama / Gauss magnetic reversed integers: 2.58 M.yr. (millions of years)

What part of the discovery of plate tectonics did Patrick Blackett contribute to?
Thank you dearest anyone whom might reply!

I should be able to help but first what scale is being used for the data points, are those dots age in millions of years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending