The Student Room Group

Exeter Penryn - Geology & Geography cancelled Sept 2024 - Transfer offer Help

My original offer of Geography & Geology has been cancelled as this degree course will no longer be running in September 2024. I would have chosen a flexible honours alternative but unlike the main Exeter campus flexible honours with Geography is not currently an option.

Looking for advice on the following Transfer options at Exeter Penryn.

BA/BSc Geography (F807)
Geology (F600)
Environmental Geoscience (F756)

I have 2 weeks to choose whether to transfer to one of these courses I am ideally looking for a course which doesn’t have short contact hours ie mainly focused on lectures/essays (I do enjoy essay writing but would prefer a more hands on course with regular field trips (one of the reasons for original choice at Exeter Penryn). I am more Physical Geography/Biology lab work orientated as didn’t take Chemistry/Physics/Maths at A level as they weren’t subjects I enjoyed like Geography & Biology.

If anyone has any experience of these courses, I would appreciate any feedback on contact hours, regular fieldwork, labwork, work experience etc many thanks.
Original post by Elizavecca
My original offer of Geography & Geology has been cancelled as this degree course will no longer be running in September 2024. I would have chosen a flexible honours alternative but unlike the main Exeter campus flexible honours with Geography is not currently an option.

BA/BSc Geography (F807)
Geology (F600)

I have 2 weeks to choose whether to transfer to one of these courses I am ideally looking for a course which doesn’t have short contact hours ie mainly focused on lectures/essays (I do enjoy essay writing but would prefer a more hands on course with regular field trips (one of the reasons for original choice at Exeter Penryn). I am more Physical Geography/Biology lab work orientated as didn’t take Chemistry/Physics/Maths at A level as they weren’t subjects I enjoyed like Geography & Biology.

If anyone has any experience of these courses, I would appreciate any feedback on contact hours, regular fieldwork, labwork, work experience etc many thanks.
Hi @Elizavecca,

I'm sorry to hear about that! Unfortunately I don't know too much about those courses, but I would advise you to get in contact with one of our current students via our online messaging system, linked here. I believe there are students who study both Geography and Geology on the system - they'll be very happy to answer any specific questions regarding contact hours, assessment types, fieldwork opportunities, etc.

If you have any further questions, feel free to get back in contact!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Elizavecca

BA/BSc Geography (F807)
Geology (F600)

Hi Elizavecca,

Just to add on to Kitty's previous message, that it might be worth closely looking and comparing the modules that make up each course. You can find these easily on our website by searching for each course and looking for the 'course content' tab. For example, like this for BSc Environmental Geoscience. You'll find that the BA/BSc Geography course has a lot more flexibility with the range of optional modules, including in related topics such as environmental law, human sciences, politics, ocean science and ecology/conservation. In comparison, the geology courses tend to be more streamlined to focus on particular set pathways. Clicking on the module code for any module will also provide additional detail, often including details of any significant lab or fieldwork involved. In particularly, you should pay attention to specific modules that are focused on fieldwork such as CSM3379 Summer Vacation Project (for geology courses) or GEO2460 Environment and Sustainability on the Isles of Scilly (for Geography) .The 'Fieldwork' and 'Teaching and Learning' tabs for each course can also be really helpful in this regard too.

Although I study a slightly different subject (Zoology at undergrad, now PhD in evolutionary biology), I've loved my time at the Penryn Campus and found that an emphasis on practical skills and accessible contact time - often achieved through slightly smaller class sizes - are shared features of many of the courses here. Being based in Cornwall provides a real 'living laboratory' for us to go out and study a wide range of different landscapes and environments right on our doorstep, and so I'm sure you can't go much wrong whatever course you ultimately decide to study.

I hope that's helpful, but if you have any more questions, specifically about life on the Penryn Campus, then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending