The Student Room Group

Unwilling parents

Ok here is the issue: I have just finished my first year of uni, I am only entitled to the minimum maintenance loan due to my household income so ended up being heavily dependent on parents, savings and work. Last year my parents gave me money as and when I needed it instead of a regular monthly amount, which made it hard for me to budget. My parents would have a massive go at me whenever I spent money on going out or clothes as they saw it as 'their' money, when all I was trying to was to have a good time like every other student.

I got home for the summer and spent most of my time away working. I get home and my parents are moaning at me to work again whilst I am home, but no-one will employ me just for the 4 weeks before I go back and I would like a break. My parents keep nagging me to help around the house which I do anyway but these are very unreasonable requests whilst they are out having fun etc.

I keep asking them to sit and talk to me about finance for next year and to agree on a set amount each month so I can budget properly but they won't and my Dad says he isn't legally obliged to give me any money so won't. However as I still live at home during the holidays I cannot tell Student Loans I am estranged from my parents. It is really stressing me out when I think about next year at uni.

Is anyone else in a similar position? I hate being at home, but cannot afford to move out. Anyone have any suggestions?
Original post by psycho22
Ok here is the issue: I have just finished my first year of uni, I am only entitled to the minimum maintenance loan due to my household income so ended up being heavily dependent on parents, savings and work. Last year my parents gave me money as and when I needed it instead of a regular monthly amount, which made it hard for me to budget. My parents would have a massive go at me whenever I spent money on going out or clothes as they saw it as 'their' money, when all I was trying to was to have a good time like every other student.

I got home for the summer and spent most of my time away working. I get home and my parents are moaning at me to work again whilst I am home, but no-one will employ me just for the 4 weeks before I go back and I would like a break. My parents keep nagging me to help around the house which I do anyway but these are very unreasonable requests whilst they are out having fun etc.

I keep asking them to sit and talk to me about finance for next year and to agree on a set amount each month so I can budget properly but they won't and my Dad says he isn't legally obliged to give me any money so won't. However as I still live at home during the holidays I cannot tell Student Loans I am estranged from my parents. It is really stressing me out when I think about next year at uni.

Is anyone else in a similar position? I hate being at home, but cannot afford to move out. Anyone have any suggestions?

I think that you need to give it time and let them cool off and give yourself time to cool off first. You then need to have a reasonable talk with them. In this you need to be open and honest. Don't blame your parents for your failure to budget - that's not helping matters. Yes they didn't have to keep giving you money and it could be argued that this didn't encourage you to budget, but part of going to university is becoming an adult and accepting responsibility for your actions. You didn't budget - your fault, not their's and you need to make clear that you understand that. Try to look at ways in which you could earn your keep. For example, do odd jobs around the house - washing up for example. Wash the car, do the gardening. This at least allows you to work for your money rather than simply getting it on a plate.

In short, talk to them and accept responsibility for your failure to budget and be grateful. Your father is right - he doesn't have to give you money and some students are lucky enough to get money from their parents. Be grateful and stop acting if it's your God given right to have this money because it isn't - you're an adult and you have to start acting like one. Talking to them properly and calmly is the first step on that road to acting like an adult.
Reply 2
Have you signed on with any temp agencies. They often need people for short time periods. Even if they can't sort you anything it'll show your parents you're making an effort.

I'd start by doing a basic budget based on your maintenance loan. That way you can show that how little you're living on.
Reply 3
I think Toronto353 thinks I have come across as a spoilt brat and I would like to clarify that is far from the truth. I do not think it's my "god given right" it's the SLC assuming my parents will fund me. I'm living in halls again with a couple of friends due to my friend having medical issues. My loan only covers just over half of my accommodation. I have been really actively handing out cv's, applying for jobs and looking of babysitting opportunities with family friends but nothing as yet. My parents seem to think getting a job is really easy. I do a lot around the house such as washing, cleaning bathrooms etc. I just find it hard to understand that my parents have worked hard all their lives and even though I am 19 The SLC gives me a reduced amount on the basis of their earnings. My dad has strong views that every student should be seen as an adult this all get the same amount. This is what I am contending against. My parents went to Uni in times of no fees and I don't think they understand. I have a job sorted for term time, but it won't be enough. Is there anyone I could contact to help?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by psycho22
I think Toronto353 thinks I have come across as a spoilt brat and I would like to clarify that is far from the truth. I do not think it's my "god given right" it's the SLC assuming my parents will fund me. I'm living in halls again with a couple of friends due to my friend having medical issues. My loan only covers just over half of my accommodation. I have been really actively handing out cv's, applying for jobs and looking of babysitting opportunities with family friends but nothing as yet. My parents seem to think getting a job is really easy. I do a lot around the house such as washing, cleaning bathrooms etc. I just find it hard to understand that my parents have worked hard all their lives and even though I am 19 The SLC gives me a reduced amount on the basis of their earnings. My dad has strong views that every student should be seen as an adult this all get the same amount. This is what I am contending against. My parents went to Uni in times of no fees and I don't think they understand. I have a job sorted for term time, but it won't be enough. Is there anyone I could contact to help?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You didn't and don't come across as a spoilt brat, but I do think that you can and should look to act more responsibly as an adult and the first step is admitting that you haven't budgeted properly and that was your fault and not their's. Discussing the situation openly and honestly with them not being afraid to admit that you have made mistakes and that you need help budgeting is an incredibly mature thing to do. I completely understand on the jobs front and perhaps you need to explain that to them, but maybe you could look into term time jobs when you're at university if you have any time for working. That would show maturity, but only look if it won't interfere with your studies.

Talking to your parents and taking mature decisions will help the situation and certainly admitting where you went wrong and then asking for help and advice would be how I would approach it. From what you've written, you're not spoilt at all - you just got carried away and now you need to seek amends and move forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending