The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City, University of London - MSc Human-Computer Interaction Design - 2023/2024

Hey everyone! Received a conditional offer for the MSc HCID course starting in September 2023, would love to connect with anyone who has received an offer and is considering paying the deposit. Also if anyone knows about this, what are the career opportunities like after the programme?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I haven’t applied but thinking of it. What did you put down in your personal statement? Do you have a background in the field? X
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by MScApplicant2023
Hey, I haven’t applied but thinking of it. What did you put down in your personal statement? Do you have a background in the field? X

Hi! My personal statement was basically just describing how my academic and personal experiences brought me to the field of design and more specifically, a UX design internship and how my work helped develop these skills. I'm from a Computer Engineering background, don't have any full time experience working in the field, just a couple of internships. What about you?
Hi there! Congrats on your offer! I submitted my application to the MSc HCID course last week, so fingers crossed. :smile: I am really attracted to the program's focus on the design process and potential career opportunities after graduation. How long it took them to issue you an offer after submission? And... have you applied to any other programs?
Original post by ShirleyShirley
Hi there! Congrats on your offer! I submitted my application to the MSc HCID course last week, so fingers crossed. :smile: I am really attracted to the program's focus on the design process and potential career opportunities after graduation. How long it took them to issue you an offer after submission? And... have you applied to any other programs?

Heyy, thank you so much! Yeah the career opportunities are mainly what helped me decide between this and the other offers that I have at the moment. Surprisingly, it took just 6 days for them to respond. I've applied to UCL, St Andrews, Newcastle, Kingston and Loughborough. What about you?
Thank you for the quick reply! 6 days sounds really fast, and now I am nervous, haha. I am only considering London due to internship/job opportunities, so I've only applied to City and UCL. Kingston appears to be a good program as well, but I'd wait for City's response first. Also applied to a few programs in the US, yet the tuition and one-year duration of UK programs are more appealing.
Original post by truecheesecake
Heyy, thank you so much! Yeah the career opportunities are mainly what helped me decide between this and the other offers that I have at the moment. Surprisingly, it took just 6 days for them to respond. I've applied to UCL, St Andrews, Newcastle, Kingston and Loughborough. What about you?
Thank you for the quick reply! 6 days sounds really fast, and now I am nervous, haha. I am only considering London due to internship/job opportunities, so I've only applied to City and UCL. Kingston appears to be a good program as well, but I'd wait for City's response first. Also applied to a few programs in the US, yet the tuition and one-year duration of UK programs are more appealing.

Good luck on your applications! :smile:
I'm of the same opinion regarding US programs, have applied to 2 just to see if I have a shot because they're very competitive. Not expecting much because I'd like to work in the UK anyway.
Good luck on your applications! :smile:
I'm of the same opinion regarding US programs, have applied to 2 just to see if I have a shot because they're very competitive. Not expecting much because I'd like to work in the UK anyway.

Thank you! Why would you prefer working in the UK than the US though? Thought the tech industry in the US offers more opportunities, however the situations are severe this year as tech giants are having mass layoffs. I am leaning towards the UK because I personally prefer its culture more. Btw, I am an international student, having worked in non-tech roles in tech companies back home for years.
Hey everyone! Received a conditional offer for the MSc HCID course starting in September 2023, would love to connect with anyone who has received an offer and is considering paying the deposit. Also if anyone knows about this, what are the career opportunities like after the programme?

Congratulations on your offer! I am going to be sending off my application this week :smile:
Thank you! Why would you prefer working in the UK than the US though? Thought the tech industry in the US offers more opportunities, however the situations are severe this year as tech giants are having mass layoffs. I am leaning towards the UK because I personally prefer its culture more. Btw, I am an international student, having worked in non-tech roles in tech companies back home for years.

Just a personal preference tbh, not really a fan of the work culture in the US. I'm an international student as well, just getting done with my bachelors and just have a couple of internship experiences at a few design agencies.
Original post by 1Bobbin1
Congratulations on your offer! I am going to be sending off my application this week :smile:

Thank you so much! Good luck on your application, hoping you get an offer as well :smile: If you don't mind sharing, which other universities are you applying to and where would you prefer to go if you were to receive an admit from all of them?
Hi all, I am rejected by the MSc HCID at City, but the reason they provided was disappointing.

"Unfortunately, I checked with our visa compliance team and they were unwilling to sponsor your visa application given your previous withdrawal from a UK MSc course.

As the visa compliance team were unwilling to sponsor your visa, we were therefore unable to offer you a place on the course."

Background information: I am an international student who voluntarily withdrew from my previous UK course (2022 Fall) due to personal reasons, returned to my home country in compliance with the UK student visa policy, and applied for a new course (2023 Fall).

I checked the Student Sponsor Guidance (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1022004/Student_Sponsor_Guidance_-_Doc_2_-_Sponsorship_Duties_2021-09-29_FINAL.pdf) and consulted UKVI Contact Centre directly, which both indicate that in my case, I'm eligible for a UK Student visa application as long as I'd be applying for a new Student visa from outside the UK regardless of my previous withdrawal.

After sending this information to City's visa compliance team, all I received was "City’s policy is not sponsor anyone for a CAS who has not successfully completed their previous course in the UK due to academic progression."

I cannot express how disappointed I am, because my situation indicates international students in the UK may have no freedom to drop out of school and apply to a new school if an old withdrawal would affect their future studies.

My case might be rare, but FYI.
Hey! I have just received an unconditional offer! Would love to connect with the 23/24 hci class !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I am rejected by the MSc HCID at City, but the reason they provided was disappointing.

"Unfortunately, I checked with our visa compliance team and they were unwilling to sponsor your visa application given your previous withdrawal from a UK MSc course.

As the visa compliance team were unwilling to sponsor your visa, we were therefore unable to offer you a place on the course."

Background information: I am an international student who voluntarily withdrew from my previous UK course (2022 Fall) due to personal reasons, returned to my home country in compliance with the UK student visa policy, and applied for a new course (2023 Fall).

I checked the Student Sponsor Guidance (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1022004/Student_Sponsor_Guidance_-_Doc_2_-_Sponsorship_Duties_2021-09-29_FINAL.pdf) and consulted UKVI Contact Centre directly, which both indicate that in my case, I'm eligible for a UK Student visa application as long as I'd be applying for a new Student visa from outside the UK regardless of my previous withdrawal.

After sending this information to City's visa compliance team, all I received was "City’s policy is not sponsor anyone for a CAS who has not successfully completed their previous course in the UK due to academic progression."

I cannot express how disappointed I am, because my situation indicates international students in the UK may have no freedom to drop out of school and apply to a new school if an old withdrawal would affect their future studies.

I'm sorry, that sucks :frown: I can understand how frustrating it must be for you. Did you apply to any other HCI programs? What has the situation been like with the admission status there?
Original post by Chia_design
Hey! I have just received an unconditional offer! Would love to connect with the 23/24 hci class !

Hey there! Congratulations on the offer :smile:
Unfortunately, I've only been able to get in touch with one other applicant so far, please let me know if you know of a group for City's HCID admitted students
That’s grim, but not surely surprising. If you dropped out of a previous masters what guarantee do they have that you won’t do the same again? Were your reasons for doing so easy to accept eg parent seriously ill or were they questionable - ran out of ££, mental health etc.

It happened to me two years ago as well!! Same situation! I was on student visa (T4) and quit my first master course in the UK. I got rejected by City due to the visa reason even I explained my case (mental health issue). very sad City is sticking to this policy. There are some unis such as Goldsmiths (MSc UX Engineering) and UAL (MA User Experience Design) who do not care much about your dropout. As long as you provide academic progression justification, they will process your application. I got offers from them back in 2021.

I think this is the City's visa policy document. https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/297372/Tier-4-Admissions-and-CAS-Process-Manual.pdf.
Reply 18
Hello! I received an unconditional offer! would love to connect with 2023/24 HCI class! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by camelliaaa
Hello! I received an unconditional offer! would love to connect with 2023/24 HCI class! :smile:

Hi! I have an offer too, would love to connect with you as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending