The Student Room Group

Best A-levels to take to do a nursing degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A-level painting by numbers, skipping and nail painting. You probably want to take BTEC rolling around - just for the vocational aspect.
Original post by JonCha
So what would you say to people wanting to do nursing that didn't study Biology or Chemistry? My cousin got an E in Biology in her A levels yet is now working full time.

Yeah that person is talking ****e, biology is not a must. My mother (band 6) and sister (band 5) did not even study biology before Uni.
It does make A&P modules easier if you have done biology recently. I last did Biology 6 years ago and I'm finding it a lot of work to keep up with everyone who has done more biology. But like what has been said it doesn't make the course impossible you just have to work at it a bit harder, maybe.
Reply 43
You don't need Biology really. They pretty much get back to basics as not a huge percentage will have Bio A Level.
What salary does a band 6 or band 5 get paid??
Reply 45
Original post by Hush12345
What salary does a band 6 or band 5 get paid??

Band 5 - 21k to 27k, Band 6 25k to 34k
A levels aren't needed for a nursing degree. I'm doing a level 3 extended diploma in health and social care, which includes A&P, sociology, psychology and much more. You learn all about medication and how its administered and cover units such as: public health, person centred planning, health education, POVA, equality and diversity ect.

I did my AS levels in sixth form, then decided to apply for my level 3 diploma in a local college. Probably the best decision I ever made :smile:

After completing my first year I gained a part time job in the sector, so along side my studies I'm now working 21hrs a week which I absolutely love!

BTECs are A level equivalent courses. There nothing to be afraid of :smile:
you NEEd chemistry preferably maths and biology but chemistry if preferable because you need to know what drugs to describe an if there is an imbalance of toxins in the body.
Reply 48
Original post by jesuschristisme
you NEEd chemistry preferably maths and biology but chemistry if preferable because you need to know what drugs to describe an if there is an imbalance of toxins in the body.

Not good advice at all - all clinical knowledge and skills required to practice as a nurse will be covered during the degree. You need a basic understanding of maths due to drugs calculations but even that is something that you can develop on in University. Biology is however, useful.
Original post by JonCha
So what would you say to people wanting to do nursing that didn't study Biology or Chemistry? My cousin got an E in Biology in her A levels yet is now working full time.

I didn’t. I have a place on BSc Adult Nursing.
My A Levels were all Social Science subjects, as was my degree and then I was a teacher. I retrained as a personal trainer and exercise referral practitioner. There’s a lot of anatomy and physiology, medical conditions and medication in these Level 3 courses and they count as 2 A Level equivalents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending