The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really liked Brunel, everyone seemed friendly and i loved my department (english), its location is nice, its near London but not with the costs.

I think it has a fair reputation, bound to increase after the huge building work to be done by September.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
The problem is I live quite close to brunel and I really want that uni experience.
How do the new buildings look?
Reply 3
I live close too, the new buildings look good, especially the student village.

Why didn't you go on a open day?
Brunel has quite a nice reputation for Engineering...ah well but i am bias since my old man is from there.
havent quite heard of it...has a long way to go before it reaches top 20...
Yeh but i'm talking more about the Law school than the actual university. But it is one of the top uniersities in London. But not alot of people know about Brunel.
Reply 7
that's cos it's so far out, takes ages to get into london and is not part of what many call the 'mainstream' london universities. I like it though.. i'm at 'the school of social science and law' but don't actually know what the law bit is like, sorry. it can get a bit unorganised but I haven't heard anyone complaining about the law department yet!
i don't think Brunel's strength is in law. no offense though but i think it's quite hard for Brunel to make it big in London especially they are facing tough challenges by the top London colleges, KCL,LSE,UCL... Brunel is more renowned for Engineering IMO.
No offence taken but there law department did get high ratings. Would you say City is better for law?
Went for an open day Saltash :vroam: <------ that's all I have to say.
Overall it looked good so I put as my firm
Reply 11
It all depends on what you're after once you've finished your degree. If you want to get into a big city firm then you may have some problems but nothing is impossible. The general consensus is that the firms look at stuff in this order...

Degree Class
Extra Curricular Activities experience etc
Your Uni.

Its just that at the top end anyway Law is an incredibly elitist profession so the uni you go to does play a part in determining if you get places or not. The other problem you may have is that a lot of firms specify the A-Level Grades they want their trainees, pupils to have. The International city firms and the top regional ones generally want AAB as a minimum. This in a way disriminates against some uni's at that stage because people with those grades will obviously go to decent uni's anyway.

But wherever you go, you can't sit on your rear and coast your way into a job.

But be warned - and I'm being frank so you don't get a wrong indication -if there's an applicant with a 1st from Brunel vs an applicant with a 1st from say UCL, LSE, Nottingham etc then the one from Brunel will probaby lose out. Firstly because of the A-Level Grades and secondly due to the uni.

If your aspirations are that you want to get to the top - as well they should be- then you need to set about ingratiating yourself with these city firms early. If you've got your foot in the door then you'll stand a much better chance.

Whatever you can do to put yourself over - i.e extra currics etc - that can give you an edge, go for it.

Sorry for the tone of this post, but unfortunately Law is buggery like that!

Best of Luck anyways though and hope this post was helpful

stay cool.

B:cool:
Baadshah
It all depends on what you're after once you've finished your degree. If you want to get into a big city firm then you may have some problems but nothing is impossible. The general consensus is that the firms look at stuff in this order...

Degree Class
Extra Curricular Activities experience etc
Your Uni.

Its just that at the top end anyway Law is an incredibly elitist profession so the uni you go to does play a part in determining if you get places or not. The other problem you may have is that a lot of firms specify the A-Level Grades they want their trainees, pupils to have. The International city firms and the top regional ones generally want AAB as a minimum. This in a way disriminates against some uni's at that stage because people with those grades will obviously go to decent uni's anyway.

But wherever you go, you can't sit on your rear and coast your way into a job.

But be warned - and I'm being frank so you don't get a wrong indication -if there's an applicant with a 1st from Brunel vs an applicant with a 1st from say UCL, LSE, Nottingham etc then the one from Brunel will probaby lose out. Firstly because of the A-Level Grades and secondly due to the uni.

If your aspirations are that you want to get to the top - as well they should be- then you need to set about ingratiating yourself with these city firms early. If you've got your foot in the door then you'll stand a much better chance.

Whatever you can do to put yourself over - i.e extra currics etc - that can give you an edge, go for it.

Sorry for the tone of this post, but unfortunately Law is buggery like that!

Best of Luck anyways though and hope this post was helpful

stay cool.

Thanks Baadshah to be honest I am thinking about my options when it comes to law, but I am going to work hard definitely. Anyone who isn't aware that Law among other top professions is an elitist profession is very naive. No one is guaranteed at a top firm they have to earn their way to the top, but going to a top 10 university makes the route alot easier. However my interests are going towards either media/criminal or business law to working for the government doing something interesting.

I have faith in my abilities so hopefully my future employers will see that too.
Reply 13
good for u. besta luck.:smile:

Thank u for your honest opinion. :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Á&#328
havent quite heard of it...has a long way to go before it reaches top 20...

Word on the street is that Brunel is moving up from 23rd to 15th this year in the Guardian as well as moving up in the Times guide, due to all the improvements and moving everything to the Uxbridge campus.
Reply 16
Good news.
Anything I should know about the Creative Music and Tech course? I'm trying to find at least SOMEONE on this forum who knows a bit about it...
I'm starting the *normal* music course in september, it's gonna be pretty good, I think the creative music course there is good too, although don't ave personal experience on that one!
Reply 19
News just in - -Brunel is considering changing its name to....
BRUNEL, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON.
It looks like Brunel is serious about being a strong competitor in the greater London area. Also, being associated with UofL will boost its reputation here in UK and elsewhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending