The Student Room Group

Applying to Russell group unis with average grades

Im in year 12 looking into universities at the moment and I want to study at a russell group uni, however my grades are very average. I dont have any A's at all, but I do meet the math and english requirements for some russell unis. I have a 4 in maths and 5 in english.

Im doing BTEC Extended business and have been getting lots of distinctions so far, and have had some experience in business related things such as helping my mom with marketing work and working for my dad's business, but I feel like I wont be accepted by any of them because I dont stand out.

Is there anything I can do? I dont want to resit maths.
Original post by smithj5hk
Im in year 12 looking into universities at the moment and I want to study at a russell group uni, however my grades are very average. I dont have any A's at all, but I do meet the math and english requirements for some russell unis. I have a 4 in maths and 5 in english.
Im doing BTEC Extended business and have been getting lots of distinctions so far, and have had some experience in business related things such as helping my mom with marketing work and working for my dad's business, but I feel like I wont be accepted by any of them because I dont stand out.
Is there anything I can do? I dont want to resit maths.
When you apply to university, you apply for the course at the university. You seem focused on the university more than the actual course you would be studying. Russel groups universities… is just a reputation.
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
When you apply to university, you apply for the course at the university. You seem focused on the university more than the actual course you would be studying. Russel groups universities… is just a reputation.
I want to go to a uni with a good reputation, where I am from the ranking and reputation matters, however I am interested in studying business
Then you have to find the ones where you meet the maths and English requirement. That will be a non-negotiable for the universities. If you meet their requirements for the course you will have as good a chance as anyone else.
But you will be ruling out good courses by limiting your range of universities
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
You have to really think about what you mean by "reputation". Reputation amongst whom? Teachers? Other students? Your granny whose friend's grandson went there? What is the consequences you are hoping for of going to a uni with a good reputation? That you will get a better job/career, or just that everyone you tell about your uni ("where I am from" in your own words) will say "oh yes, they've got a good reputation"? It's just a load of hearsay. If you go to a non-Russell group and do well, you will make your own reputation, not rely on what people think of where you went.

If you want somewhere that has a good reputation amongst employers, look for a uni that has strong links with industry and sends students out on meaningful work placements.

That said, I think if you apply to somewhere you meet the requirements from, it sounds like your application will stand out for the experience you have gained. And if going to a RG will make you happy, that counts for a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending