The Student Room Group

Full time study with a child.

Hi All,

I am going to University next year as a mature student to do Computing Science, my fiancee is also going to University to do Social Work.

We have a little boy who is 18 months and I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

How much harder (if any) did you feel it was because you had a child? He can be quite full on and I may not get as much time to study as I would like.

Thanks

Jim
Reply 1
I'm a single parent starting uni in September.

I've just done a gap year and before that 2 years of college... Only advice from all that is to stay on top of your work and get ahead where possible ...especially once your child is in nursery or daycare they get loads of colds and the odd tummy bug and studying with a poorly child around isn't easy!!!

Cheryl :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Thanks,

I'm not expecting it to be easy, especially after he turns 2. :smile:
Reply 3
My daughter is 5 and it's not harder at two its just different problems as they get older lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
come join us in the pregnancy & parenting society :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jim84
Hi All,

I am going to University next year as a mature student to do Computing Science, my fiancee is also going to University to do Social Work.

We have a little boy who is 18 months and I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

How much harder (if any) did you feel it was because you had a child? He can be quite full on and I may not get as much time to study as I would like.

Thanks

Jim

Hi! I'm a single parent starting uni in 2 weeks as a mature student, I have a 10 yr old autistic son and a 3 year old daughter, I'm really looking forward to the change after always working 40 hours a week to only being in uni 2 and a half days a week :smile:
I'm expecting it to be hard work but at the end of the day my evenings are only spent in front of the tv so will be good to do something constructive.
Once you get into a routine you will be fine x

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 6
Original post by Jim84
Hi All,

Thanks

Jim

Hello Jim,

My eldest daughter was born 2months prior to my first year exam season. I was reading for engineering science then, my then girlfriend now wife opted to quit her studies so I could continue on while she took on a part time job as we were both foreign nationals in Britain and therefore we had to fund this mostly on our own.

You definitely won't have as much time to do everything you want to do so you just need to priorities what is a need and what is a want. There will always be things to do, but it isn't difficult to prioritize studies usually by means of either when kids are asleep or when they are out. May work well if for example you could work out with your other half some blocks of time when she could bring the boy out of home to a park or somewhere while you spent time with books. I found it to work quite well because since time is scarce you generally will use it very productively as you wouldn't know if you get that chance again. Studying and doing homework while having a toddler around? It isn't impossible though some subjects can be done better than others especially the more practical ones while the mostly theoretical ones can be a bit difficult if it requires a lot of reading. One thing for sure if you are using a computer is to save your work very often as you never know when he might just start helping you type or throw up on the keyboard :-)

All the best.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P6800

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending