The Student Room Group

No motivation

I'm in my AS year, and feel real low, because all the good uni's consider GCSE's and stuff, and my gcse's were only ok. So its got me thinking what the hell is the point in me working hard for the AAB offer, when I can easily do a BCC course or something, which is probably what I'll get accepted in. And because of this, I seem to have lost all motivation in studying, I mean I sit there with a book in front of me, but nothing goes in, and I don't concentrate on what I am reading or revising, can't be bothered to do homeworks anymore, I know I sound like I'm being stupid, but I don't want to be like this...so any tips to help me get motivated
Reply 1
Well for a start the universities will consider your AS results and predicted A-Levels, and your reference, as well as just your GCSE grades. Seriously, I know a fair few Oxford students who didn't do amazingly at GCSE but got in there through hard work and talent in their A Level courses, and they're really at the top of the top universities now.

Of course, the odds are that you're probably not aiming for Oxbridge, but even if you wanted to do a BCC course it wouldn't hurt you to get good A-Levels - I mean, you've just complained about universities judging you on your GCSE grades as well as A Levels, so do you think it will be any different with employers when considering you for a job? They'll look at your A-Levels too, as well as your degree.

And if you give up working hard now, what's to say you won't slack off at uni too and end up with a bad degree instead of the First you're probably capable of?
Because the chances are, a university that asks for AAB will have a better reputation than one that asks for BCC, and generally speaking, the better the reputation of the uni you go to, the easier it will be to get a good job. Your A-leves don't become meaningless once you have a degree, they'll still be looked at by employers. Also, if your GCSEs aren't that good, you can make up for them with good A-levels and a good reference.
Reply 3
you can use the study guides
Reply 4
heya. i had the same problem for a while. but like philjw said, even oxbridge accept people with average gcses. the as levels are in over a month so its not too late to get your a's. just think about how good it will feel opening your results in august with excellent grades, and proving to yourself that youve made such a big improvement from gcse. you can do it :-)
Reply 5
hey dude, no need to worry as such. i was in the same situation when i was doin my A levels 2 yrs ago. on one of the tests i got 98% and then on the last one i got a really low D. it all averaged out to a C. When i think back i know i could have done better but i was really depressed then and all i did was eat and eat and eat..... dnt stress yrself too much and just do yr best. hopefully u will do well. i think i may have lost the point here but oh well
Reply 6
I got exactly same prob of losing all motivation for work after gcse and i got quite good at gsce completly messed up jan exams and found out i got 6 exams on 1 day this summer
my motivation is kinda lame...everytime when i feel i lack the momentum i will pick up my uni offer letter and read it over and over again...and start working like crazy again.

Latest