The Student Room Group

London Metropolitan University has visa licence revoked

Scroll to see replies

Oh no but what about the conveyor belt of future leaders of the world coming out of that place?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mellete
Offering any illegal immigrants in the current intake an amnesty would be grossly unfair. There has to be a way to differentiate, and the government has wisely delegated that to other universities, as that's the way the system is supposed to work.

You are purposely missing the point. it's like saying some of the population of [insert city] may be illegal immigrants so let's jsut throw them all out to be sure and make it 'fair'.
I'd be crapping myself if I was a UK student at London Met too. International students make made up a very high proportion of LMU's income, and it has been in financial trouble for a long time - it was only in 2009 that it had to repay a lot of money because it had underreported drop-out rates to HEFCE and claimed it had 50% more undergrads than it really did. It was then said that its 'future is in doubt'.

If London Met doesn't go bankrupt in the next three years, I will be very surprised.
Reply 23
Original post by >Untitled<
You are purposely missing the point. it's like saying some of the population of [insert city] may be illegal immigrants so let's jsut throw them all out to be sure and make it 'fair'.

I can think of a number of cities (or at least parts/areas of them) where that wouldn't be a terrible thing to do. It's sad that some pockets of the UK are such unproductive, leeching dumps.
Original post by G50
I can think of a number of cities (or at least parts/areas of them) where that wouldn't be a terrible thing to do. It's sad that some pockets of the UK are such unproductive, leeching dumps.

I agree but you're saying the WHOLE population should be thrown out, even though that means some innocent legal people pay the price too, ha!
it is idiotic to make that apply to current students there aswell.

It is the many of the current students that don't have proper documentation. Those that do can go elsewhere, while those that don't can go home. One can't have much sympathy for someone who came over and didn't even have a student visa. The ones deserving sympathy are the bona fide, properly documented students.
Original post by Good bloke
It is the many of the current students that don't have proper documentation. Those that do can go elsewhere, while those that don't can go home. One can't have much sympathy for someone who came over and didn't even have a student visa. The ones deserving sympathy are the bona fide, properly documented students.

Maybe people like you don't see that the 'bona fide, properly documented students' will pay the price too.
Maybe people like you don't see that the 'bona fide, properly documented students' will pay the price too.

Maybe you missed the bit where I said

The ones deserving sympathy are the bona fide, properly documented students.

Doesn't this implies that people like me do see that?
Reply 28

... Everyone who came over had to get it verified by the university. The fact that the university's licensing has been revoked means that every one's visa has been revoked as well. So yes, the bona fide students will pay for this as well, and so will the country (this is expecting to make the city lose around £70m)
Reply 29
The only problem with this decision is the timing. August, really?

London Met. wouldn't be fiddling the figures if they weren't in dire need to pay the bills.

Any current first or second student there should leave immediately, but with the academic year starting in a few weeks, many are going to have to wait a year to get back into education if that is what they wished to do.
Original post by zaliack
The fact that the university's licensing has been revoked means that every one's visa has been revoked as well.

I hadn't realised that but those that find places elsewhere will be able to be re-visa'd with a more diligent and competent institution.
Reply 31
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'd be crapping myself if I was a UK student at London Met too. International students make made up a very high proportion of LMU's income, and it has been in financial trouble for a long time - it was only in 2009 that it had to repay a lot of money because it had underreported drop-out rates to HEFCE and claimed it had 50% more undergrads than it really did. It was then said that its 'future is in doubt'.

If London Met doesn't go bankrupt in the next three years, I will be very surprised.

Thank you someone speaking some sense here!

I totally believe that London Met are being made of an example of here to send some sort of warning to other universities. Maybe this is some way of getting rid of some universities.

Considering overseas students subsidise some of our universities quite heavily - I think that some people going OH YAY glad that uni's gone need to consider the wider impact of this on higher education.
Reply 32
I hadn't realised that but those that find places elsewhere will be able to be re-visa'd with a more diligent and competent institution.

but the problem is that nearly every university is at it's maxed student limits now, so everyone will have to go home for a good part of the year to reapply to another university, and I'd hazard a guess that most non-EU students in London Met can't really afford to do so (no figures to back this up :tongue:).
Reply 33

Well, one could just as easily say that it's more similar to the customs officers of an airport having been found to be at best negligent and at worst corrupt, and it has been ordered that those they've already let in be re-examined.

But let's not delve into metaphor. It is what it is. There was substantive suspicion of illegality, and so the current students need to be looked at again by someone who can be trusted.

If we accept that the current students to need to be assessed again, given that their first was unsatisfactory due to no fault of their own, I can't see a better way to have it done. The government really should not step in and do it themselves.
Original post by zaliack
but the problem is that nearly every university is at it's maxed student limits now, .

Is that true for international places though?
Reply 35
Is that true for international places though?

Yeah as a proportional limit is imposed of British:Overseas.
I don't think universities should be allowed to issue visas anyway, that should be done solely through the Border Agency. Unless I'm wrong here and the universities only sponsor the visas, not issue them?
Original post by Mellete
Yeah as a proportional limit is imposed of British:Overseas.

I don't believe that is true. There are limits in medicine but I think there are no limits for other subjects.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8366967/Universities-more-reliant-on-foreign-students-despite-visa-fears.html#
Reply 38
Original post by Lil Piranha
I don't think universities should be allowed to issue visas anyway, that should be done solely through the Border Agency. Unless I'm wrong here and the universities only sponsor the visas, not issue them?

They only sponsor them, by applying to be on a UK approved list of sponsors. The issue of visa's MUST go through the UKBA.
Dad's mate is a cop, he arrested an Nigerian International Student from London Met for Anti-Social behavoir. He proclaimed that he was a "Top Economist" the guy was willing to release him if he could name him his favourite Economist. His response

"Ah, Well we haven't got onto that part yet" :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending