The Student Room Group

Uni nerves???

Okay everyone as most of you already know most of us will be heading to uni soon and I am starting to have doubts on whether I will be able to fit in or not at first I was mega excited. I know it's a big jump from sixth form and just wondering if anyone else feels the same way too. I keep thinking about not being able to make friends and falling behind on the work lol, also keep getting nightmares... is this normal? everytime I think about uni it makes me really nervous... advice and reassurance would be greatly appreciated, thanks :biggrin:
Nerves are normal, it's a big change but most people (including myself) are all feeling the same. Are you moving into halls? Try and find some of your flat mates (or people on the same course) on facebook. Most uni's have set up official freshers pages. Apart from that all I can say is just be friendly, get talking to people and you'll be fine :smile: In a few weeks we'll all probably wonder what we were so worried about.
You are SO not the only one. I come from a small, rural school-and-sixth-form, and no one I know is going to my uni (Oxford Brookes). I think the freaky bit is having to meet all these people who you don't know from Adam, and not even having friends/family to go home to in the evenings. I'm mega-nervous and I'm worried everyone is going to be confident and flirting with the boys and chatting and I'll just be the shy one in the corner, who has no one to hang around with.

But, what I reckon I'm gonna do (and you could too) is get the family (and friends) to send you letters every week or so. Not emails, but actual paper, handwritten letters, about life and gossip and stuff. That way you get to see their handwriting and hear about home, and have something to look forward to in the post :wink:
this is totally normal I was really nervous before uni just a couple of things to remember everyone in you halls is in the same boat do not sit in you room the fist day night go to the kitchen you may even go out on the first night try and realx talk to everyone and have fun
I more worried about not being able to cook. I'll either become skinny because I'll starve or become fat because I'll eat out :frown:
Reply 5
I just can't wait to start my course and classes! (I'm kinda a nerd haha :smile:) but don't worry, the majority of people going to University will be there for similar reasons and most will be like minded! If you like something join a club or society to do with it so you meet people who share the same interests!!
Reply 6
Original post by cgraham15
I just can't wait to start my course and classes! (I'm kinda a nerd haha :smile:) but don't worry, the majority of people going to University will be there for similar reasons and most will be like minded! If you like something join a club or society to do with it so you meet people who share the same interests!!

Dont think you get nerds at uni... everyones on a fairly level playing field as far as thats concerned! ha..hence.. uni! :P

I was incredibly nervous... think I peed a little.

It'l be fine though!
Reply 7
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
I more worried about not being able to cook. I'll either become skinny because I'll starve or become fat because I'll eat out :frown:

Basic cooking is incredibly easy. Just get someone to show you how to use the oven/frying pan/sauce pan and you can cook 90% of things.
Reply 8
It's completely normal to worry and everyone else will also be nervous about leaving home and having to make new friends and all that..That's pretty much why people go out drinking to loosen up and not feel nervous meeting new people.
I'm sure you'll be fine after a day or two, and the fact the uni accepted you proves that you must be able to do the work! Just don't slack off though if the first year doesn't count towards your degree. And also, if you do start to feel a bit lonely/ homesick then get skype and call home :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by py0alb
Basic cooking is incredibly easy. Just get someone to show you how to use the oven/frying pan/sauce pan and you can cook 90% of things.

Haha, you'd think so, but I'm about to go into third year and I still know plenty of people that are entirely clueless when it comes to cooking. As someone that has been cooking for them self since the age of 13 or 14 I really struggle to understand how someone in their 20s can't know how to cook. >____>

Anyway. There's nothing really to be nervous about. The vast majority of people enjoy it, meet great people, try new things and z0mg, enjoy their courses (okay, maybe the percentage here is slightly lower, especially near deadlines, but still).

You're more than likely to come across some dickheads, but that's true wherever you are.

Original post by Lozzo
It's completely normal to worry and everyone else will also be nervous about leaving home and having to make new friends and all that

People always seem to say this, it's as if those of us that were not at all nervous don't actually exist. : (
Reply 10
Original post by concubine
People always seem to say this, it's as if those of us that were not at all nervous don't actually exist. : (

Well yea, of course there are people who are confident and are not worried which is great, but from what I experienced people were usually worried about something when first starting uni, be it work or fitting in with people which is completely normal.
Reply 11
I'm worried I'll be heavily misunderstood. I've lived in my city all my life and everyone knows me and what i'm like. Moving to a new city and having to adjust is just so daunting to the point where I don't think I want to go anymore:frown:
Original post by LimeTree.
Dont think you get nerds at uni... everyones on a fairly level playing field as far as thats concerned! ha..hence.. uni! :P

I was incredibly nervous... think I peed a little.

It'l be fine though!

Uni 'nerds' are the best...and yeah you can have nerds at uni but only by comparison to those waster people who turn up to 2pm classes still drunk, and think 41% on an essay is awesome...
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Uni 'nerds' are the best...and yeah you can have nerds at uni but only by comparison to those waster people who turn up to 2pm classes still drunk, and think 41% on an essay is awesome...

uhm. Maybe.
Dont think anyone on my course thought that was good lol. maybe I just havnt witnessed the full spectrum of uni goers!
Yeah nerves are definitely kicking in. I move in just over two weeks and I've already had several uni-related dreams, they're rarely positive (or make much sense).

Overall I'm looking forward to it, but I'm dreading moving in, and then freshers week. I'm not a massively social person so meeting people will be difficult and I don't want to be going clubbing but everyone seems to think it's a necessity. I know once freshers week is over, things have settled down and I've made some friends things will be fine, it's just surviving until that point.
Original post by RedDevilThing
Yeah nerves are definitely kicking in. I move in just over two weeks and I've already had several uni-related dreams, they're rarely positive (or make much sense).

Overall I'm looking forward to it, but I'm dreading moving in, and then freshers week. I'm not a massively social person so meeting people will be difficult and I don't want to be going clubbing but everyone seems to think it's a necessity. I know once freshers week is over, things have settled down and I've made some friends things will be fine, it's just surviving until that point.

SAME. I'm shy and I don't really like drinking or the whole random-guys-grinding-on-you bit of clubbing, so I don't know how I'm gonna survive freshers week :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending