The Student Room Group

New to Higher Education

Hi there

I am totally new to Highter Education which was not a choice more of a accident, apart from doing a Diploma at College last year I have not actually studied for over 25 years.

I have just applied for another college course to complete a HNC, origonally it was a 2 year course when I applied it has now been condensed into a year and I now find that is run by Cardiff University. YIKES!!

As a single parent on JSA at this moment in time before the start of the course this revelation has thrown my world upside down over night!!

Trying to find Grants avaiable and being able to cover my rent is all now up in the air, I'm losing sleep over this.

Any pointers on where to start would be great, especially as the college is not sure if it is a full time or part time course throwing even more confusion into the raging fire.
Reply 1
hey sue!

wish i could help you more but unfortunately, i know next to nothing about the welsh system. am posting on here as a bump so that hopefully someone in the know may see, and post to help :smile:
Reply 2
I'm currently about to start a full time college course in North Wales, if you apply to Student Finance Wales, you can apply for ALG, now seeing as you've been "Self dependent" for more than 3 years (you can prove this by requesting that the inland revenue send you your end of year tax returns) you will qualify for an automatic ALG fund of £1,500, as for university you will again qualify as a "independant student" and recieve the full amount of grant (£5,000 student grant [no repayment] £6,365 [If I remember right study grant again no repayment] and the rest of your study fees are in loan form but it's about £3,655 approx this you do pay back).

In terms of your JSA you will be better off speaking to your JSA advisor but be aware that you will no longer be deemed to be searching for work and as a result you will most likely lose your JSA claim.

My best advice contact careers Wales 0800 100 900 and speak to them about it.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending