The Student Room Group

Maths student without doing Further Maths

I got an A in Maths but did not opt to do Further Maths.
Will I suffer in uni?
Should I read some of the FP1/2 to prepare
Original post by cashmoneyorg
I got an A in Maths but did not opt to do Further Maths.
Will I suffer in uni?
Should I read some of the FP1/2 to prepare

You'll suffer in getting into a top uni for Maths, but once you have a place then reading FP1 would be good preparation. Most will also expect you to recap your Maths A-level. You might also consider taking up FM AS in your U6 year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Junaid96
You'll suffer in getting into a top uni for Maths, but once you have a place then reading FP1 would be good preparation. Most will also expect you to recap your Maths A-level. You might also consider taking up FM AS in your U6 year?

I got into Loughborough, is that considered a top uni for Maths? what do you mean by u6 year?
Original post by cashmoneyorg
I got into Loughborough, is that considered a top uni for Maths? what do you mean by u6 year?

Upper sixth year, year 13, last year of school :smile:

Loughborough's pretty good - you should definitely do some prep as it'll make things easier anyway - FP1 won't take long to go through after doing C3/C4
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Junaid96
Upper sixth year, year 13, last year of school :smile:

Loughborough's pretty good - you should definitely do some prep as it'll make things easier anyway - FP1 won't take long to go through after doing C3/C4

Yep i have a few weeks til i start my course so i'm beginning now.
Reply 5
FP2 and FP3 are a lot harder than C3 C4 so be ready to pick it up a gear and first term uni Maths is just FP1-FP3 really from the textbooks I have seen (well for Nat sci anyway)
Reply 6
Original post by BlueJohn
FP2 and FP3 are a lot harder than C3 C4 so be ready to pick it up a gear and first term uni Maths is just FP1-FP3 really from the textbooks I have seen (well for Nat sci anyway)

Thanks for the heads up
Reply 7
Yeah, as said above it can give you a bit of a head start, make the first few lectures a bit less confusing! However, I wouldn't get stressed out about it if you don't get it all first time or don't have time, because there will be others in your situation and they go over everything, plus there will be plenty of new stuff straight away which no-one knows, even those who did further, so it's not like you'll be alone- it just means a little more effort to make sure you understand stuff when you start :smile:

Perhaps be a bit more flexible with your sources etc. For example, you could look at the FMaths syllabus and then look at various sources online to learn the basics and grasp what it's about. Or if you could get hold of the module content for Loughborough first year and have a look at topics covered there. What I mean is, going over the syllabus and practicing questions from a Further textbook is fine, but if you find it's not going in or you don't get it straight away then you can be more flexible and it's not like you're gonna get there and be like WHAT IS ALL THIS!!! (or if you are, it will pass quickly :P)

xxx
Reply 8
Original post by BlueJohn

Are you doing that at Cambridge? I am looking to to natsci (phy) and was wondering how hard it will be without further maths. I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and physics but I am looking to probably do chemistry, maths a, physics and material science in part IA with a plan to do physics A, physics B and maths in part IB. I understand how maths orientated it is and I am stressing over the lack of further maths I have!
Reply 9
Ye i will be studing nat sci at cambridge( I have just had a cheeky look at some of the stuff). Don't stress, if you needed FM it would be a requirement they have 2 'sets' that take the same exams but go at a different pace. Mathematics course B being for Further Mathematicians and course A being for people who just did A level Maths(as you suggested you will be doing this) . So you will be in the same position as all the people in Maths A and I'm sure Cambridge would have made it a requirement to have FM if it was that difficult without it.
Which college btw?

Quick Reply

Latest