The Student Room Group

Am I the only person that can't stand the Big Bang Theory?

Scroll to see replies

I think so. I like it.

Original post by NutterFrutter
The show is obviously made for the general populace so the jokes are going to be easy enough for the majority of people to understand. It's not a science show, it's a sitcom.

What about "why did the chicken cross the mobius strip"? :biggrin:
people like it probably because they feel 'geeky' when they laugh at/understand the jokes when really there's nothing more clever about the humour than many other shows.

i don't like it much purely because i find the jokes more 'heh' funny than laughing-out-loud funny.

raising hope - THAT'S funny. :tongue:

i'm not against it, i just don't get the hype.
i was never a glee fan either which used to be a big thing in my school too.
Original post by ilickbatteries
No, creationists aren't keen either.

You ... I like you.
Reply 23
Makes two of us. But I am the sort of miserable old git who gets annoyed at other people thinking it makes them nerdy.
I can understand why it may be popular. I myself don't find it particularly funny, though.
Reply 25
Original post by ilickbatteries
No, creationists aren't keen either.

You... I like you.
gosh i miss friends :frown:
It's a dumb show about clever people.
Reply 28
It's watchable but there are much better shows out there. If nothing else is on then i'll watch because I do get a few cheap laughs about it. It's really just stupid jokes with smart people, where as I prefer shows that make smart jokes with stupid people (e.g Community, Arrested Development- If you haven't already seen these shows try them out as they may be more to your tastes). Or even watch something like Futurama which is miles ahead in terms of intelligent humour.
Sheldon is perhaps one of the best TV invented characters, do not mess with him !
Reply 30
I like it, but as with some people above, I hate when people think they're "nerdy" or "alternative" for watching it. Same with Doctor Who fans who all of a sudden start wearing bowties...
Yeah, it's decent for an easy watch when there's nothing else on. It's hugely hit and miss as far as laughs go though. I think the best character is that guy who lives with his mother (Howard I think?), that guy's a funny actor.

Sheldon has his moments, but to me he's always come across as a much less funny version of Niles from Frasier.
It's not funny at all it makes people feel 'nerdy' when they are not.
Reply 33
I watch it but I don't find it funny, as far as I know from nerd culture, the characters in TBBT are massively exaggerated and it is mainly based on laughing at them whilst making the general public feel smart.
Having seen it with the laugh track removed, it is just an awkward mess.

At first I couldn't stand it but now I would just about class it as watchable.
Original post by Lansaaaa
Just about everyone I know seems to be ranting about it. Barely a day goes by without someone telling me how much they love it, how "it totally gets my nerdy sense of humour!" or "it's a show for smart people like me yay!"

From what I've seen the show mainly laughs at nerds/nerd culture, rather than with them. It constantly implies that Leonard/Howard/that guy at the comic book shop are utterly miserable and pathetic because they like comics or whatever, and makes Sheldon seem borderline autistic. I haven't once seen an instance in which the audience are invited to laugh with one of the main cast about something considered nerdy or geeky; the joke seems to be that someone is pathetic enough to know/make a joke about that in the first place.

Not to mention all of the science mentioned is incredibly basic. The writers seem to think that namedropping Richard Feynman and string theory makes the programme "high-brow". The Sheldon gags are particularly hideous; how many times has 'socially awkward genius' been done before? The acting is wooden, the screenplay is crass and not nearly as clever as it thinks, and if I had any interest in comics/computer programming/other things taken the piss out of, I'd probably be offended by it.

Does anyone else agree?

To be fair most of the physics jokes are pretty good, and accurate too.

otherwise, all american comedy on e4 is predictable :smile: you just have to make do :biggrin:
[video="youtube;PmLQaTcViOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA[/video]

I know the general response to videos like these is 'but the timing is off, so it sounds weird', but this video doesn't really have that problem.
i enjoy it very much, and i expect most people to enjoy it, but i know that is unrealistic expectation...the show is insanely funny:coma: to me at least...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by The Hedonist
[video="youtube;PmLQaTcViOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA[/video]

I know the general response to videos like these is 'but the timing is off, so it sounds weird', but this video doesn't really have that problem.

That sounds so weird.

I also kept a straight face - it takes a lot to make me laugh via television
I don't laugh at it but I still like it, it takes something hilarious to get me laughing or something out of the blue e.g. Being Human and Glee quips. But sitcoms normally don't get me laughing with the exception of Friends. But I still like TBBT :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest