The Student Room Group

"UK university staff only read students’ personal statements for two minutes"

A survey of admissions staff by the Higher Education Policy Institute (Hepi) found the average time spent reading a personal statement was two minutes, with two out of five statements read for just a minute or less. Officers at Russell Group universities devoted only 90 seconds per statement on average.

One admissions officer reported: “We look at them all but the majority we don’t read in their entirety – we give them a skim.” The majority of those surveyed said decisions were primarily made on the basis of exam grades.

full story: The Guardian

How do people feel about this story? If you're currently applying, do you expect your personal statement to be getting more attention? If you've previously applied, did you expect your statement to be a significant factor in your offers?
And if you are currently applying, this advice over on Uni Guide is quite relevant:

You may think that your personal statement won’t matter as much to unis as your grades and experience but a great personal statement could make all the difference between you and a candidate with the same grades.

Sure, your application might not reach that deal breaker stage. But is it something you want to leave to chance?

full article: How to write an excellent personal statement in 10 steps (on Uni Guide)
Reply 2
I just picked a random PS online from a subject I know about (maths) and it took me less than 2 minutes to read through it and pick out the key points. This article suggests that 2 minutes is low but I'm not sure that I'd expect it to be longer.
I’ve been banging on for years about how PSs aren’t heavily used at the stage of making offers.

They’re much more important in August for considering applicants who have missed their offer conditions.
Original post by shooks
A survey of admissions staff by the Higher Education Policy Institute (Hepi) found the average time spent reading a personal statement was two minutes, with two out of five statements read for just a minute or less. Officers at Russell Group universities devoted only 90 seconds per statement on average.

One admissions officer reported: “We look at them all but the majority we don’t read in their entirety – we give them a skim.” The majority of those surveyed said decisions were primarily made on the basis of exam grades.

full story: The Guardian

How do people feel about this story? If you're currently applying, do you expect your personal statement to be getting more attention? If you've previously applied, did you expect your statement to be a significant factor in your offers?

Two minutes isn’t long, but I think that is quite a reasonable length of time to spend actually reading it the first time. This is because:

-A personal statement is only 500 - 1000 words at max length (the average reading speed is something like 238 words per minute and you can probably imagine those who have the job of reading personal statements have a faster reading speeds as they likely have more practice) so two minutes is likely enough time for a decent number of them to be read. I’d also guess that most personal statements have closer to 500 words than 1000, because it is often advised to keep it short and snappy.

-There are many applications that these relatively small admissions teams have to get through in limited time.

I expected my personal statement to be a sort of last resort, as I already knew that the uni I was applying to (Oxford) cares far more about whether you’ll fit their teaching style, which is assessed in the interviews.

I still think personal statements have a valid use as a last resort means of deciding between two candidates. Whether their replacements will be as good in that regard, idk.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
I feel that "averages" skew one's interpretation. Competitive universities and/or course selectors looking for differentiators will probably read PS more intently than others.
Courses/universities where 90-99% of applications get an offer aren’t going to be reading the majority of PSs. For the majority of those applications a decision to make an offer will be made on the basis of whether an applicant has the right qualifications to meet a standard offer. The PS in those cases will only be looked at if the qualification information is ambiguous, has gaps or is missing.

More selective courses, courses where they have issues with applicants not understanding the nature of the course (eg applicants to academic/theory heavy courses who are focused on practical aspects and vice versa), courses where qualifications aren’t a good predictor of success on the course etc will all pay more attention to the PS at offer making stage.

When it comes to confirmation and deciding which applicants to accept with lower grades then the PS will almost always be looked at in more detail.
Always said they are mostly irrelevant. I wonder if LSE actually do give a ****.
Quoting myself from the other thread on this topic:

Original post by Admit-One
This doesn't surprise me at all given that I've scored PS's for years and along with PQ have been repeatedly telling people that they don't form a substantial part of the selection process for the majority of UK undergrad courses.

As an aside, 2 mins doesn't sound like much, but an experienced admissions tutor can 100% review a statement and score it against criteria in that time.
Original post by PQ
Courses/universities where 90-99% of applications get an offer aren’t going to be reading the majority of PSs. For the majority of those applications a decision to make an offer will be made on the basis of whether an applicant has the right qualifications to meet a standard offer. The PS in those cases will only be looked at if the qualification information is ambiguous, has gaps or is missing.

More selective courses, courses where they have issues with applicants not understanding the nature of the course (eg applicants to academic/theory heavy courses who are focused on practical aspects and vice versa), courses where qualifications aren’t a good predictor of success on the course etc will all pay more attention to the PS at offer making stage.

When it comes to confirmation and deciding which applicants to accept with lower grades then the PS will almost always be looked at in more detail.

What are the key points you look for in a PS when considering the near misses?
Original post by ageshallnot
What are the key points you look for in a PS when considering the near misses?

That depends on the subject concerned but generally you're looking for evidence of enthusiasm and ability to succeed on the course with lower grades....not just saying "I'm passionate" but demonstrating that the applicant has bothered to find out more and get involved with things related to the subject in their free time and have an understanding of what the degree they've applied for involves.
If someone has low grades and a PS that shows they don't really understand or have much interest in the subject of the degree then that's not a good indicatory that they'll be able to do well. Applicants with lower entry grades have to understand that they'll be putting in extra effort to catch up - that takes real enthusiasm and motivation beyond "I've always liked maths"

We'll also go back an revisit references, interview notes and any other notes on file (eg extenuating circumstances etc) - it all gets looked at in more detail for borderline confirmation applicants.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by PQ
That depends on the subject concerned but generally you're looking for evidence of enthusiasm and ability to succeed on the course with lower grades....not just saying "I'm passionate" but demonstrating that the applicant has bothered to find out more and get involved with things related to the subject in their free time and have an understanding of what the degree they've applied for involves.
If someone has low grades and a PS that shows they don't really understand or have much interest in the subject of the degree then that's not a good indicatory that they'll be able to do well. Applicants with lower entry grades have to understand that they'll be putting in extra effort to catch up - that takes real enthusiasm and motivation beyond "I've always liked maths"

We'll also go back an revisit references, interview notes and any other notes on file (eg extenuating circumstances etc) - it all gets looked at in more detail for borderline confirmation applicants.

Useful information!
I always suspected this was the case, especially for courses where the acceptance rate is high, and I'd like to deliver a big 'I told you so' to my teachers who wholeheartedly believed the opposite :tongue:

Side note: I feel like theory courses (as pointed above), competitive courses where everyone has top grades, and competitive unis in general would place more emphasis on a PS, because if everyone's applying with 3-4A*, what's the differentiating factor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending