The Student Room Group

Am I the only person that can't stand the Big Bang Theory?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
It's watchable and mildly amusing but doesn't deserve a lot of the hype that surrounds it. The humour is predictable but what do you expect from E4? Having said that, I quite like the novelty of having a mainstream show that references stuff like Game of Thrones and Norse mythology.

Personally, I think Ross from Friends was a better representation of PhDs/academics - had his awkward, 'geeky' side but still socially capable, confident and able to form relationships.
The IT crowd is a far much better comedy about nerds shame they stopped it.

Big Bang Theory is the new replacement for friends, on all the time on E4 which annoying characters and most importantly its not funny. They trick the audience by having a laughing track to tell where to laugh to cover up poor jokes.

I don't have a problem of people liking it, it just annoys me that people consider this as one of the greatest comedy shows which it is not.
Original post by LonelyDemon
The IT crowd is a far much better comedy about nerds shame they stopped it.

Big Bang Theory is the new replacement for friends, on all the time on E4 which annoying characters and most importantly its not funny. They trick the audience by having a laughing track to tell where to laugh to cover up poor jokes.

I don't have a problem of people liking it, it just annoys me that people consider this as one of the greatest comedy shows which it is not.

The thing is I watched IT Crowd on E4 and never found it funny. I cringed at most of the jokes. To me the only annoying person in TBBT is Leonard.

Sent from my LG-P940
Original post by street.lovin'
The thing is I watched IT Crowd on E4 and never found it funny. I cringed at most of the jokes. To me the only annoying person in TBBT is Leonard.

Sent from my LG-P940

You sir have poor sense of humour, I don't think its amazing but its more creative than TBBT as every episode is the same.
Original post by LonelyDemon
You sir have poor sense of humour, I don't think its amazing but its more creative than TBBT as every episode is the same.

Or I just find different things funny? I am fed up with people like you who said I got poor sense of humour just because I laugh at jokes you dont find funny. People with very good sense of humour will find the funny sides of everything. I dont find IT Crowd particularly funny,but it is entertaining to watch for the sake of the plot. I find The War at Home funny. Lol. I dont find Scrubs funny but that is not the same kind of comedy. Just different jokes suit to different people. Maybe people who like TBBT think that it is more relevant to them. I really like video games and comic books and when I first watch the show I kind of like it when they joke about people like me. It is humourous in a way. You are probably not the target audience. People have different taste, if you dont like something , dont watch it. I dont like Scrubs, i dont watch it. Simple as. It does not mean you are cooler or have better taste than the people that do.

Sent from my LG-P940
Original post by bestofyou
I have laughed maybe once while watching the show, and even the it wasn't even that funny.

It certainly is a watchable show, but more in the sense, 'meh, nothing else on, nothing else to do etc so I'll watch it'. I would never think, must go watch Big Bang Theory or anything like that. I think the fact that everyone talks about how funny it is etc just makes it even less funny for me, particularly when the audience are laughing there heads of at things that just are not funny, is that a laughter machine? Or are the told to put on fake laughs the the 'Laugh' light blinks on?

Does anyone else have this view?

I have exactly this view! :biggrin: It is fine, because it passes the time. There are shows that i would make sure i watch even if i were busy, namely breaking bad, dexter, futurama and probably a few others. Big bang theory passes the time, in fact, i found myself having to explain this because i was embarrassed that i am relatively up to date with it (i think :s-smilie: Im watching the latest series and i must have watched it all, not in order though...its on e4 late at night). Its not unique at all compared to american sitcoms, i guess how i met your mother is better, but friends i cannot stand.

EDIT: Up to date on it because i am unemployed at the moment, probably should find something to do :p:

Original post by street.lovin'

Sent from my LG-P940

I disagree, the IT crowd is genuinely funny imo because the humour is quite original. The big bang theorys sense of humour is the most clinched thing ever. Comparing the two is quite unfair.

EDIT: Oh, i just saw your reply above. Forgive me, had a few drinks and just scanned the thread. Aye, i do not look down on you for not finding it funny, different taste. Although i will never understand you; worlds apart.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 126
It's a good show, but more recently Penny and Sheldon have started to annoy me.

Strangely enough though, Howard has gone from being my least favourite character to my favourite...
Reply 127
I don't think its that bad, but it gets a but boring over time. The whole Leonard and Penny thing is annoying though - I hope it ends well for them so they can fly off somewhere nice together. That way I'll see less of them on my TV
Reply 128
I dislike it too. Prefer Modern Family!
Reply 129
Original post by Guru Jason
I hate the show with a passion. The thing is, they're not even proper nerds/geeks, i.e. half the stuff they talk about is actually cool like Star Wars, old console games ect.

Any excuse to see this another clip without the laugh track over it.

FFS, it's a normal conversation. (Follow the link on the clip.)

They're not exactly going to make a show about people discussing RAM speeds and USB backward compatibility...

Would be a cool show, though lol
Original post by Vazzyb
They're not exactly going to make a show about people discussing RAM speeds and USB backward compatibility...

Would be a cool show, though lol

And infinitly better than BBT.
Original post by paperclip
I have exactly this view! :biggrin: It is fine, because it passes the time. There are shows that i would make sure i watch even if i were busy, namely breaking bad, dexter, futurama and probably a few others. Big bang theory passes the time, in fact, i found myself having to explain this because i was embarrassed that i am relatively up to date with it (i think :s-smilie: Im watching the latest series and i must have watched it all, not in order though...its on e4 late at night). Its not unique at all compared to american sitcoms, i guess how i met your mother is better, but friends i cannot stand.

EDIT: Up to date on it because i am unemployed at the moment, probably should find something to do :p:

I disagree, the IT crowd is genuinely funny imo because the humour is quite original. The big bang theorys sense of humour is the most clinched thing ever. Comparing the two is quite unfair.

EDIT: Oh, i just saw your reply above. Forgive me, had a few drinks and just scanned the thread. Aye, i do not look down on you for not finding it funny, different taste. Although i will never understand you; worlds apart.

While I dont understand how TBBT is not original, I respect your opinion. Many of the jokes on TBBT is never seen in any other shows.

Sent from my LG-P940
Season 1 + 2 were fantastic.
Season 3 + 4 were pretty dry.
Season 5 was fantastic.
Season 6 Ep 1 felt more like season 3 + 4 than 1, 2 or 5. Hope it improves!
Reply 133
I also hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest