The Student Room Group

Is revenge an evil?

As a concept, do you think of revenge as a bad thing, as less than preferable or as a necessity?

"An eye for an eye" is an old saying, and probably what they used to practice once. The death penalty is still practiced today and is related to revenge (among other things).

But on the smaller scale - if someone's done you wrong, do you tend to strike back? Do you genuinely wish evil upon a cheating ex or do you 'let go' and find 'inner peace'? Even if you belong to the latter group - what do you think of revenge in general?

"Closer" is one of my favourite movie and it occurred to me how some of the characters somehow wanted to get back at each other, and it was portrayed as a very bad thing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A little timely revenge, i.e. getting a good verbal comeback in on the spot, to being dumped, is probably best for one's health. As for 'genuine wishing of evil upon a cheating ex', I'd say any actual revenge, would tend to be far more regretted than its absence.

Good, thoughtful question.
I really believe revenge is evil with the exception of being under attack (Getting beaten up / being invaded by another country)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/albania/7843351/Albanias-modern-day-blood-fueds.html This is astounding, I saw a documentary on it- entire families are on the run in fear of retribution because of something that happened 2 generations ago. Revenge against a friend/boy/girlfriend is even more malicious, in Albania 'an eye for an eye' is inherited, but if you crave revenge against someone who thinks they have your trust then your'e certainly evil.
Reply 3
Who says you have to find inner peace by not getting back at your cheatin ex??? It certainly made me feel a whole lot better.
Reply 4
Its not evil, its simply balance. If you upset my ying, you're gona get my yang.....
Reply 5
Original post by lilyobz
Its not evil, its simply balance. If you upset my ying, you're gona get my yang.....

Lol so bloodthirsty feuding types are merely following the teachings of the Tao? Mmm :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Revenge is not evil... Imagine some one killed your whole family ... It's your obligation to kill it back as the last survivor of your family.

Eyes of God
Reply 7
I expected at least some to agree with revenge...I suppose the question is to what extent. How do you make up for damage being done? If your gf cheats on you, you are not entitled to kill her. But as you cannot 'repay' the favour, what do you do?
It's complicated, as "an eye for an eye" cannot always be put into action.
Reply 8
Original post by Millie228
I expected at least some to agree with revenge...I suppose the question is to what extent. How do you make up for damage being done? If your gf cheats on you, you are not entitled to kill her. But as you cannot 'repay' the favour, what do you do?
It's complicated, as "an eye for an eye" cannot always be put into action.

I think it really depends on the intensity level ! If it's sth you think it's necessary to revenge then yes go for it.. Gf cheating not big deal oh well break up ........................

Eyes of God
As a concept, do you think of revenge as a bad thing, as less than preferable or as a necessity?

"An eye for an eye" is an old saying, and probably what they used to practice once. The death penalty is still practiced today and is related to revenge (among other things).

But on the smaller scale - if someone's done you wrong, do you tend to strike back? Do you genuinely wish evil upon a cheating ex or do you 'let go' and find 'inner peace'? Even if you belong to the latter group - what do you think of revenge in general?

"Closer" is one of my favourite movie and it occurred to me how some of the characters somehow wanted to get back at each other, and it was portrayed as a very bad thing.

Well, it's selfish. Revenge is only applicable in a situation where the victim has elected himself judge, jury and executioner. It's no basis for justice. Evil is probably the wrong term, though.
Reply 10
Original post by TurboCretin
Well, it's selfish. Revenge is only applicable in a situation where the victim has elected himself judge, jury and executioner. It's no basis for justice. Evil is probably the wrong term, though.

Never believe in justice. ....

Eyes of God
Reply 11
Original post by xiyangliu
I think it really depends on the intensity level ! If it's sth you think it's necessary to revenge then yes go for it.. Gf cheating not big deal oh well break up ........................

Eyes of God

I'd love to put my faith in karma. But there are two problems. 1) Karma can take very long. 2) Karma may hit them when you're not around, hence depriving you of the satisfaction.
Which is why I'm considering revenge for the man who did me wrong. But I only have a few options as to how.
Reply 12
I'm not English, though I was raised in a social democracy. I agree with the fact that revenge is deeming yourself judge, jury and executioner. But the alternative (I am used to) is one where those taking on those roles are too objective. Furthermore, revenge usually happens when the victim has the facts on the table and the hands-on experience - there is less revenge done on behalf of others.
I've seen rapists go free or receive a "group discount" on group rapes (which happens in Scandinavia all the time). I do not trust the police with such decisions. If such a thing happened to me, I'd definitely make sure of justice on my own.

For smaller "injustices" though, it's slightly more difficult. I don't want to physically hurt him, as I think it might backfire. But I'd like to drive his company to the ground. I might know a couple of bankers to help me. I am optimistic, at least.
I wouldn't say it is evil, however, revenge serves no other purpose than to gratify personal negative feelings by lashing out at their perceived source- it is an ego based response. It might make you feel better to begin with but feelings of guilt may follow, making you feel worse than before you decided on revenge. If anything it is a sign of weakness, remember- 'revenge is always the weak pleasure of a little and narrow mind'.

No I believe revenge is the meting of justice if in proportion to the affliction.

I don't know what I'd do with a cheating partner, I would probably do nothing at all (apart from break up, obviously).
To me revenge is a punishment for a sin. So are you saying that if someone does something bad and goes to prison, you'd class it as evil because it is a form of revenge?
Reply 16
I quite like "Revenge".
Fantastic iconic hotrod... :biggrin: I think airfix even did a model of it?

Reply 17
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
No I believe revenge is the meting of justice if in proportion to the affliction.

I don't know what I'd do with a cheating partner, I would probably do nothing at all (apart from break up, obviously).

I am using a cheating partner as an example as I know it is something a lot a people have experienced - and to those who have, it is one of the most hurtful things which may occur. It is perhaps the most severe emotional damage you can cause - and I find it completely at par with physical damage.

The problem with relationships, is that there is pride and emotions. Sometimes a person may walk away with no knowledge nor punishment for the damage they have caused. And I do not find that fair.

I have never been cheated on myself. But I have experienced unfair treatment romantically to a smaller extent. So to imagine it, I just multiply whatever suffering I had with 10.
Yes I imagine if you were in love with someone and they cheated on you it would be extremely painful, humiliating and make you feel worthless.

Thankfully, it's never happened to me and almost certainly never will, though in theory if it did, I would probably just not want to think about it. Revenge would not be congruent with my state of mind.
Reply 19
I mentioned this in a previous post. A "eye for an eye" is not always applicable. Which is why it's difficult to support revenge 100% - each and one's definition of what is 'justice' varies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending