The Student Room Group

RAF Medical Cadetship and Choice of School

I was wondering if anybody has looked into going for a cadetship and if anyone has done one. Would like to know what it is like :smile: Also are UAS interesting?

Also I have had to remove St. Georges as an option from application as I believe my UKCAT is too low (687.5) to apply there.

I would like to know if anyone would recommend the choice of Sheffield, Cardiff or Dundee... Looking at nightlife (if you live there) and what there is to do there.
Reply 1
Original post by Booyah
I was wondering if anybody has looked into going for a cadetship and if anyone has done one. Would like to know what it is like :smile: Also are UAS interesting?

Also I have had to remove St. Georges as an option from application as I believe my UKCAT is too low (687.5) to apply there.

I would like to know if anyone would recommend the choice of Sheffield, Cardiff or Dundee... Looking at nightlife (if you live there) and what there is to do there.

Why would you remove St Georges? :confused: They have a cut-off at around 625
Reply 2
Original post by myyrh
Why would you remove St Georges? :confused: They have a cut-off at around 625

... I thought this whole cut off deal was higher and new!!!! Damnations... that would have made last night a lot shorter! Cheers for the info
I've never heard of a cadetship before.
I would love to know a bit about it (I used to be in the Air Training Corps for a bit, which was very interesting but very physically challenging).

Would you be expected to go into combat or be under similar physical fitness requirements as other jobs in the RAF (I'm an absolutely terrible runner).
Original post by Rainbow Clouds
I've never heard of a cadetship before.
I would love to know a bit about it (I used to be in the Air Training Corps for a bit, which was very interesting but very physically challenging).

Would you be expected to go into combat or be under similar physical fitness requirements as other jobs in the RAF (I'm an absolutely terrible runner).

Most of the time you'll be a normal doctor in a UK hospital, then every 12-18 months you will go on assignment for up to 2 months. You also have to stay in the RAF/Navy/Army for 5 years after graduation and pass the officers exams which does include physical fitness although you don't have to be super fit to pass them.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Most of the time you'll be a normal doctor in a UK hospital, then every 12-18 months you will go on assignment for up to 2 months. You also have to stay in the RAF/Navy/Army for 5 years after graduation and pass the officers exams which does include physical fitness although you don't have to be super fit to pass them.

Thanks, would these assignments be very dangerous (I'm not the fighting type, and don't want to killing people if), or is the main aim purely medical?
Original post by Rainbow Clouds
Thanks, would these assignments be very dangerous (I'm not the fighting type, and don't want to killing people if), or is the main aim purely medical?

It's purely medical, you'll receive basic combat training in case you and your patients come under attack, but for the most part you'll be stationed in a medical centre in one form or another.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's purely medical, you'll receive basic combat training in case you and your patients come under attack, but for the most part you'll be stationed in a medical centre in one form or another.

Thanks for the help, this is definitely something I'll look into.
Reply 8

Thanks for the post, it has been helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending