The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Qualifications

I am currently doing a joinery apprenticeship but I don’t think I can do it for the rest of my life when I finish, I have considered to join the RAF to become a pilot which I have seen that I would need to have three Higher qualifications to apply, I have 5 useable national 5 qualifications but I am wondering if I could get some advice on which highers I would need to study and where would be best to get the qualifications as I am not longer in school.
Reply 1
What made you think that was helpful?
Reply 2
Original post by LewisCraig02
I am currently doing a joinery apprenticeship but I don’t think I can do it for the rest of my life when I finish, I have considered to join the RAF to become a pilot which I have seen that I would need to have three Higher qualifications to apply, I have 5 useable national 5 qualifications but I am wondering if I could get some advice on which highers I would need to study and where would be best to get the qualifications as I am not longer in school.
Ex-RAF Recruiter.

Apart from the subjects stipulated on the RAF Recruitment website, it doesn't matter what or where you study so long as you have the required grades.

Check your medical records to make sure there is nothing obvious that could delay or stop your application, get your fitness up and make sure you can demonstrate activities that show your leadership potential.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Ex-RAF Recruiter.

Apart from the subjects stipulated on the RAF Recruitment website, it doesn't matter what or where you study so long as you have the required grades.

Check your medical records to make sure there is nothing obvious that could delay or stop your application, get your fitness up and make sure you can demonstrate activities that show your leadership potential.

Thank you I appreciate it.
Original post by Surnia
Ex-RAF Recruiter.

hello im new to this whole website and ive been trying to look for answers about the RAF entry requirements because ive been chasing people up constantly about this topic. I'm currently year 11 and im looking to be a pilot in the RAF. I keep being told different acceptances regarding the entry requirement's. Does the RAF only accept A levels or can they simply accept a level 3 diploma course which is equal of higher than 64 ucas points and also the gives you the qualification of 3 A levels. If they do accept the diploma does it matter what course it is? or are they specific. for example would they frown on a art and design course or anything relating to that
Reply 5
Original post by user234345235
hello im new to this whole website and ive been trying to look for answers about the RAF entry requirements because ive been chasing people up constantly about this topic. I'm currently year 11 and im looking to be a pilot in the RAF. I keep being told different acceptances regarding the entry requirement's. Does the RAF only accept A levels or can they simply accept a level 3 diploma course which is equal of higher than 64 ucas points and also the gives you the qualification of 3 A levels. If they do accept the diploma does it matter what course it is? or are they specific. for example would they frown on a art and design course or anything relating to that

Who have you been speaking with; have you contacted your AFCO or looked at the RAF Recruitment website?
ive spoken to my local armed forces raf careers office and my sixths form to go over the grade requirements. My careers office said that dont accept btecs but they accept A levels and other tings but they didn't say what other courses they accept; my sixths form has said that on the website it says the raf accepts a2 levels/ 3 Highers that is 64 ucas points. Ive tried contacting the raf but they keep referring me to different numbers and its just not getting anywhere. I was wondering if u would know at all.

Quick Reply

Latest