The Student Room Group

Studying Maths and taking a Gap Year

I've decided that next year I want to study Maths and Philosophy as a degree, and have contacted the universities I want to apply to to ask if they accept Gap Year students for Maths, and they all said they did!

My only worry is how much I might forget over the next year (I'm currently having a Gap Year) and that I might arrive a bit behind everyone else or a bit rusty

Obviously I can for the next year carry on using textbooks and what not to keep my maths up, but was wondering if anyone knows of any pre-uni courses I could do the summer before I start or something to keep me up to scratch?

Thanks!
Most universities have diagnostic tests for maths, try doing these every now and then, making sure you know it all.
Reply 2
I do Maths & Philosophy (good choice :p:), and took a gap year; honestly I wouldn't worry much about forgetting stuff; most of the things you cover at uni-level maths aren't things that you learn at school, so forgetting isn't really an issue. It's useful to make sure you're still reasonably familiar with things like basic differentiation and integration when you come back, but that can be done in a week or two before term starts. To my mind a gap year that you spend doing awesome things is a much better use of your time than spending it doing maths.

Quick Reply

Latest