The Student Room Group

Yes or no to gap years …

Add a yes or a no to the chat depending on your opinion !

Emily <3
Reply 1
yes
Definitely yes! Especially for work or student exchange experience, I am going on a student exchange in Spain this September. My intuition tells me it will be one of the best years of my life! :smile:

Julia
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Add a yes or a no to the chat depending on your opinion !

Emily <3

definetly yess, i had mine and it was amazing
Original post by a.plane
yes

Hi there
How come?
Original post by lollobarcollo
definetly yess, i had mine and it was amazing

Hi there
Where did you go!!
Best wishes
Emily
Original post by De Montfort University
Definitely yes! Especially for work or student exchange experience, I am going on a student exchange in Spain this September. My intuition tells me it will be one of the best years of my life! :smile:

Julia

Hi Julia
Oh wow, what student exchange do you work for? Spain sounds amazing where Bouts are you going.
Best wishes
Emily
Yes - if you are going to use it well and build on your CV / build a more successful UCAS application the second time round.

God no - if you are just going to waste your time doing absolutely nothing of benefit.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Yes - if you are going to use it well and build on your CV / build a more successful UCAS application the second time round.

God no - if you are just going to waste your time doing absolutely nothing of benefit.

Hi there
did you take a gap year?

best wishes
Emily
Hi there
did you take a gap year?

best wishes
Emily

Yes.

I was reapplying to Oxford (chemistry - and yes, I got in), so I used my gap year to mentor students in chemistry and maths, whilst also taking additional qualifications (A level further maths and AS biology).
Yes.

I was reapplying to Oxford (chemistry - and yes, I got in), so I used my gap year to mentor students in chemistry and maths, whilst also taking additional qualifications (A level further maths and AS biology).

Hi there
What an amazing achievement you must be so excited :smile: you had such a productive gap year oh my goodness ?! How did you fit it in

Emily
Hi there
What an amazing achievement you must be so excited :smile: you had such a productive gap year oh my goodness ?! How did you fit it in

Emily

Thanks and I am.

Having a timetable. Simply having a routine and arrangements in place to organise everything makes time management much less of a problem.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Yes.

Hi, I'm thinking of doing something similar to what you did and I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind :smile:

1. What were your grades at the end of year 13?
2. Did you do any traveling and/or work during your year?
3. Did you self-study your additional qualifications or join an online college or anything like that?
4. What was your reason for taking a gap year?
5. Did you do your exams at your old school/college or at an exams centre?
Original post by Ravagenw
Hi, I'm thinking of doing something similar to what you did and I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind :smile:

1. What were your grades at the end of year 13?
2. Did you do any traveling and/or work during your year?
3. Did you self-study your additional qualifications or join an online college or anything like that?
4. What was your reason for taking a gap year?
5. Did you do your exams at your old school/college or at an exams centre?

1. A* A* A Distinction (A level chemistry, A level maths, A level physics and AEA maths in that order).

2. No. Travelling was something I considered, but I decided against it because I wasn’t sure I’d have enough time to factor it in and work experience isn’t especially beneficial since chemistry is a purely academic degree, I suppose you could argue the mentoring I did counts as work experience, though.

3. I self-studied, because that matches my style of learning more closely.

4. I guess part of me wasn’t ready for uni and needed some time to encourage better habits and to pick up some life skills. I also felt I needed another crack at Oxford after the first attempt didn’t go so well (I think I blew my chances in interview 3 out of 4 when my frustration got the better of me).

5. At my old sixth form.
Reply 14
1. A* A* A Distinction (A level chemistry, A level maths, A level physics and AEA maths in that order).

2. No. Travelling was something I considered, but I decided against it because I wasn’t sure I’d have enough time to factor it in and work experience isn’t especially beneficial since chemistry is a purely academic degree, I suppose you could argue the mentoring I did counts as work experience, though.

3. I self-studied, because that matches my style of learning more closely.

4. I guess part of me wasn’t ready for uni and needed some time to encourage better habits and to pick up some life skills. I also felt I needed another crack at Oxford after the first attempt didn’t go so well (I think I blew my chances in interview 3 out of 4 when my frustration got the better of me).

5. At my old sixth form.

Thank you :smile:

I've got a couple more questions if you don't mind haha

How did you find self studying Further Maths? Also what options did you pick?

How did you get into the subject mentoring?
Original post by Ravagenw
Thank you :smile:

I've got a couple more questions if you don't mind haha

How did you find self studying Further Maths? Also what options did you pick?

How did you get into the subject mentoring?

FM was great. I found the majority of the pure maths and statistics topics in the course to be generally quite straightforward. However, I had considerably more difficulty with mechanics (oblique impact and elastic strings and springs, especially).

As for my options, I did further pure 1, further mechanics and further statistics 1 (note that I did Edexcel, so that affected my available options).

Subject mentoring was something I first started doing whilst I was studying for my GCSEs, because I found it challenged me and helped me to work out how strong my understanding of each subject was and where the gaps in my knowledge were - for these reasons, it became my dedicated revision strategy in my A level studies and gap year.

In my gap year, I was mostly assisting others with questions on TSR, though I often chipped in with helping friends in the year below me and some of my other friends siblings.
Reply 16
Mine was less of a gap year and more of a 'gap', 6 nearly 7 years.
Thanks and I am.

Having a timetable. Simply having a routine and arrangements in place to organise everything makes time management much less of a problem.

This is such a good way to go about it and sort it out.
I hope you time table some rest in as well and some down time.
Best wishes
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest