The Student Room Group

People going all the way round the mini roundabout.

This has caught me out three times now since I first started to learn to drive. I have done it twice in my instructors car and once in my car.

I was taught that on the mini roundabout, you either go left, ahead, or right. Not all the way round. This therefore means that if there is a car entering from the road on the left of me, I can go, as I don't expect them to come all the way round.

And because you indicate right to go right, I can only tell if they are going right when they actually go right.

Maybe now that i've done it three times, I might be more aware of it so i'll be a bit more cautious. (It's okay when you're a learner, but when you've passed and don't have 'P' plates on, it's a bit embarrassing).

:colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by Runninground
This has caught me out three times now since I first started to learn to drive. I have done it twice in my instructors car and once in my car.

I was taught that on the mini roundabout, you either go left, ahead, or right. Not all the way round. This therefore means that if there is a car entering from the road on the left of me, I can go, as I don't expect them to come all the way round.

And because you indicate right to go right, I can only tell if they are going right when they actually go right.

Maybe now that i've done it three times, I might be more aware of it so i'll be a bit more cautious. (It's okay when you're a learner, but when you've passed and don't have 'P' plates on, it's a bit embarrassing).

:colondollar:

In my first ever driving lesson my instructor told me to go all the way around a mini roundabout. I was just like :confused: but he said it was allowed, but it's rarely done :P and then I nearly went head on into a bus... :P
Reply 2
Original post by kiai8
In my first ever driving lesson my instructor told me to go all the way around a mini roundabout. I was just like :confused: but he said it was allowed, but it's rarely done :P and then I nearly went head on into a bus... :P

I think it says you're not suppose to in the highway code, but people do it anyway :/
Reply 3
Perfectly legal to do and many do it instead of a turn in the road as it is safer and easier

If doing it yourself then BE PREPARED TO STOP for those who will not be expecting you to go across their path of travel

Watch the front wheels of others on it as that will give you more of a clue as to what their intentions are
Reply 4
Remember that all rounabout rules are the same be they big or mini ones

PS - do not try doing a full circuit of a mini roundabout witha very large vehicle - LOL

Seriously, some vehicles have a large turning circle and the driver should never try doing the above with those ... if a vehicle doing it has to reverse then it was dangerous!!
Reply 5
Original post by ROG.
Perfectly legal to do and many do it instead of a turn in the road as it is safer and easier

If doing it yourself then BE PREPARED TO STOP for those who will not be expecting you to go across their path of travel

Watch the front wheels of others on it as that will give you more of a clue as to what their intentions are

The highway code states that you should avoid doing a U turn. It should be illegal though :/

I went out for two drives today and the first thing was someone going right round the mini roundabout that I pulled out in front of, then another car pulled out in front of me when I was going right at a mini r.bout and the last one was I was starting to pull out (again, onto a mini r.bout) and a red car appeared (out of no where, I swear) behind a white van. I wasn't going fast so I did stop just after the line.

Damn mini roundabouts :rolleyes: At least next time I go out i'll be paying that little bit more attention to these mini-roundabouts :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending