The Student Room Group

Can I drive alongside lorry during a 2 lane roundabout?

Hello, I have a quick question regarding roundabouts. Say I am coming up towards a roundabout, I am on the right light tryna turn right and I am currently next to a lorry on the left. I've read that you should always stay behind or in front of a lorry during a roundabout (preferably behind). Therefore, do I just wait at the roundabout until the lorry has made considerable distance before going? Or what are the other better options?
Reply 1
Original post by Swasher3790
Hello, I have a quick question regarding roundabouts. Say I am coming up towards a roundabout, I am on the right light tryna turn right and I am currently next to a lorry on the left. I've read that you should always stay behind or in front of a lorry during a roundabout (preferably behind). Therefore, do I just wait at the roundabout until the lorry has made considerable distance before going? Or what are the other better options?

right lane*
It's usually best not to be alongside a lorry on a roundabout where possible as:

a) they have a wider turning circle, so it can be difficult to judge where they are exiting

b) they frequently dip into the adjacent lanes

Whilst it's not always possible, it's better to be slightly ahead or behind them to give yourself space to avoid them if needs be.

NB. You also have to take into account the size of the roundabout, if it's a big one then you both may have plenty of space to go about your way.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
It's usually best not to be alongside a lorry on a roundabout where possible as:

a) they have a wider turning circle, so it can be difficult to judge where they are exiting

b) they frequently dip into the adjacent lanes

Whilst it's not always possible, it's better to be slightly ahead or behind them to give yourself space to avoid them if needs be.

NB. You also have to take into account the size of the roundabout, if it's a big one then you both may have plenty of space to go about your way.

Thank you! That was what I was thinking too. Just to get better clarification and ease my mind, I've attached a roundabout I usually come across from Google Maps. Let's say I was turning right using the right lane and lorry on the left, do you recommend that I just wait for the lorry to enter the roundabout first or at the same time? Screenshot 2023-11-03 125514.png
Thank you! That was what I was thinking too. Just to get better clarification and ease my mind, I've attached a roundabout I usually come across from Google Maps. Let's say I was turning right using the right lane and lorry on the left, do you recommend that I just wait for the lorry to enter the roundabout first or at the same time? Screenshot 2023-11-03 125514.png

If I was adjacent to the cab, I would go at the same time but try to keep ahead of them. It's more the trailer that you have to be wary of.

Any further back and I'd give them room. A big lorry is likely to need to creep into the right lane to give themselve space to make the left turn.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
If I was adjacent to the cab, I would go at the same time but try to keep ahead of them. It's more the trailer that you have to be wary of.

Any further back and I'd give them room. A big lorry is likely to need to creep into the right lane to give themselve space to make the left turn.

Thank you so much! That clears things up
Thank you so much! That clears things up

No worries, it's all very case by case depending on the roundabout, traffic etc.

I'd recommend watching some of Ashley Neal's videos. He's good at explaining why some things are risky. This is just the ones with roundabout in the title, but the viewer clips are a good way to learn too:

https://www.youtube.com/@ashley_neal/search?query=roundabout
Reply 7
Also lorry blindspots
I try and avoid being alongside anyone on roundabouts tbh given the amount of weaving from lane to lane that goes on. People arent paying attention to the traffic around them, theyre looking at the signs and white arrows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending