The Student Room Group

'Furious' Kate and William may sue French magazine over publication of topless photos

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm outraged and deeply offended.

/anyone got a link to the pictures?
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
The uncensored images go against our nudity policy :smile:

So put a warning saying link contains images of breasts.
[INDENT]
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
So put a warning saying link contains images of breasts.

We don't allow nude images regardless of warnings
Reply 63
Original post by Smack
Wow she has much bigger boobs that I should she'd have!

Although they're still just breasts, I don't know why all this fuss is being made.

i dont understand
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
[INDENT]

We don't allow nude images regardless of warnings

But you're not allowing nudity, it's a link to an article. This thread is a debate about the article, seems a bit silly that you wouldn't allow debators to see the article. You even said we can't explain how to find the article, if that's the case what's the point in the thread. People need to see what is being discussed before discussing it.

And it's hardly nudity, it's a pair of breasts. I've seen far more offensive pictures on this site than a simple pair of breasts which near enough half the worlds population has.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't agree with the publication of the photos; I think it's a complete violation of privacy, however one I thing I would like to know, is:

Why is a naked picture of Prince Harry allowed and is almost socially acceptable amongst the British media and public, but a topless picture of Kate Middleton is suddenly horrible, even though newspapers like the Sun publish topless women every day?

Just seems to me like double standards; but I want to reiterate that I don't agree with the original publication anyway, once these pictures are on the internet, there is no government in the world with enough jurisdiction and ability to remove it from the whole internet.
Original post by FDR
Why was my post - which broke no forum rules whatsoever - deleted? :confused:

I would like an independent inquiry ordered to look into unfair deletion, and compensation awarded if deemed necessary.

I fully support FDR and his request for an inquiry.
Reply 67
Original post by Hopple
Kate was in the open air on a beach, where anybody on the sea could have seen her :s-smilie: I'd be more annoyed if I was Harry, in a private room and someone took a photo to sell on - there's a betrayal of trust there whereas Kate was just naive.

No she wasn't, she was in a private house on a rooftop terrace with William in an area of complete seclusion, Harry invited random strangers into his hotel room.
Reply 68
Original post by metric
No she wasn't, she was in a private house on a rooftop terrace with William in an area of complete seclusion, Harry invited random strangers into his hotel room.

Complete seclusion? It was open air, and as I said, anyone on the sea could see her. If I had to weigh up who could expect privacy more, I'd say Harry. Who really expects privacy outdoors?
They're on Twitter but they're not even good pictures (disappointing, if I'm honest)
Reply 70
It would've been great if she came out and said... "Yeah I don't really care"
Reply 71
Original post by Steezy
It would've been great if she came out and said... "Yeah I don't really care"

That would be as transparent as the bra she was wearing.
Reply 72
St James' Palace has confirmed that Kate and William are suing.
Reply 73
Original post by Hopple
Complete seclusion? It was open air, and as I said, anyone on the sea could see her. If I had to weigh up who could expect privacy more, I'd say Harry. Who really expects privacy outdoors?

Was it not enclosed? I was under the impression that they were staying in a very secluded area with not much around and certainly not visible to the public, unless you believe Closer...

The fact is that Harry invited them in and allowed the photograph to take place as he was posing, whereas Kate had photographs taken without her permission when she thought she had privacy.

If I were on a rooftop terrace in the middle of nowhere I should as hell would expect privacy.
Reply 74
Original post by metric
Was it not enclosed? I was under the impression that they were staying in a very secluded area with not much around and certainly not visible to the public, unless you believe Closer...

The fact is that Harry invited them in and allowed the photograph to take place as he was posing, whereas Kate had photographs taken without her permission when she thought she had privacy.

If I were on a rooftop terrace in the middle of nowhere I should as hell would expect privacy.

It was enclosed as far as there being some sort of a barrier to stop them falling off or something, but nothing like a wall or even a wire fence. For Kate's situation to be as bad as Harry's, she and William would have to have been in an opaque beach hut with a butler coming in to take a drinks order, and also taking photos of them to sell on. She's in the open air, she can make it difficult for people to get close enough for a photo but there are no guarantees of privacy.

The difference is, Harry was drunk so was too trusting, whilst Kate was naive that she though just because she couldn't see anyone, nobody could see her.
i totally understand that the invasion of privacy is disgusting.
But honestly, when you are in such a high profile position as Kate and William you wouldnt go topless if you didnt want something like this to happen. When your famous there is always a chance someone is there to take photos. Its sick but its true
Reply 76
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Meh, maybe people being should stop making a big deal out of women's boobs anyway - why they have to be seen as scandalous compared to men's chests is a little strange tbh. It's just so weird how society is.

I always think that too. They're just UDDERS
Reply 77
Original post by ThatPerson
I don't agree with the publication of the photos; I think it's a complete violation of privacy, however one I thing I would like to know, is:

Why is a naked picture of Prince Harry allowed and is almost socially acceptable amongst the British media and public, but a topless picture of Kate Middleton is suddenly horrible, even though newspapers like the Sun publish topless women every day?

Just seems to me like double standards; but I want to reiterate that I don't agree with the original publication anyway, once these pictures are on the internet, there is no government in the world with enough jurisdiction and ability to remove it from the whole internet.

The pictures of Harry were taken in his presence, by people he had invited back. It is also apparent that his "minders" saw people taking pictures and only gave a weak protest against it, then allowed it.

The pictures of Kate were taken while she was on PRIVATE property, by persons who were NOT invited to do so, while she was completely out of view from the public. If it was someone who HAD been invited in to the gardens who had taken the pictures, then it would be a completely different story.

Therefore, no double standards
Reply 78
Original post by Hopple

Whether or not it was "open air" they have the right to privacy. You cannot simply hover over someone's personal property and claim that they should "expect" no privacy.

Either way, it would seem what was done was pretty blatantly illegal. It's simply a case that the profit that will be made selling the extra magazines will likely outweigh whatever judgement is brought against them
Original post by dgeorge
The pictures of Harry were taken in his presence, by people he had invited back. It is also apparent that his "minders" saw people taking pictures and only gave a weak protest against it, then allowed it.

The pictures of Kate were taken while she was on PRIVATE property, by persons who were NOT invited to do so, while she was completely out of view from the public. If it was someone who HAD been invited in to the gardens who had taken the pictures, then it would be a completely different story.

Therefore, no double standards

Thanks for the explanation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending