The Student Room Group

Student finance HELP!

Hello there,

I have been racking my brain for over a year and have exhausted nearly every possible resource to find a solution to my problem so I thought there must be someone out there who has faced the same situation, so I shall explain.

I am a 23 year old male, I started university last year so I am going into my 2nd now.
I have been independent from my parents since I was 17 (living on my own working full time etc) so at uni I recieve no help, its all me and my job thats pays for me to do it so you can imagine its not easy.
I applied for student finance as an independent student, now cause im not 25 I dont qualify automatically as independent so the next step is income and because I havn't earnt in the last 3 years, student finances policy £7,500 per year, they don't believe I could have supported myself.
Now some of you know this is possible, I lived in shared houses with all inclusive bills, had low paid jobs for a bit between leaving college and starting uni (5 years) but still managed to stay afloat with next to no income, obviously a bit of debt but nothing major.

So I have provided SFE with bank statements, wage slips, tenancy agreements, letters from my tutors, letters from money and welfare, letters from the jobcentre showing there were times when I recieve JSA (in between jobs) and I have even logged a stage 1 complaint to get my case looked at in more depth.

I literally cannot think of anything else I can do, and as you all know SFE are not a very helpful company to deal with, so if anyone has any suggestions that would help I would be so greatful because trying to do well in my course, putting in all the study time is so hard when I have to work basically full time hours.

thankyou!
Matt
Reply 1
Im in the exact same position except I'm starting Uni this year... With all these evidences you submitted are they still asking for more??? Mine is still being assessed, it's taking sooooo long!!!!!! And I only submitted a letter from a tutor and a letter from the JC stating what periods I received JSA - nothing in depth though. Im worried they will ask for more and I have no clue what to send. Stresssss

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Hi,
I have sent them practically everything.
Bank statements, bills, letters from tutor and parents.
Letter from a family that let me live with them for a bit.
Wage slips, certificate of earnings, tenancy agreements.
The only thing i havnt sent is proof i recieved JSA but thats because the jobcentre never send it when i ask :|

Let me know how it goes for you because ive had no luck for over a year. Good job i turn 25 in my third year.
Reply 3
I will!!! I'm turning 25 next year haha

Btw what I did is called the JC and asked them for a statement of benefits, and I lied by saying I needed it for court. And they send me that letter.. Try it as well!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Posted from TSR Mobile

I might try that. as of last night my complaint is going to the financial ombudsman. that should work!
contact your local MP
I had to write a declaration saying I was an independent and get a solicitor to counter sign and stamp it. I showed all the evidence to them. It cost £10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending