The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Generally, I think it's because people don't understand it, and a lot more would enjoy it if they did. If you're being forced to do a subject which you have no idea about, then of course you're going to hate it. Because of this, you don't practise, and maths, more than (I think) any other subject, is one that can only really be improved by practise. Therefore, people aren't going to understand the subject, and will carry on hating it, i.e. it's a vicious circle.

However, if you've broken this cycle and you still don't like it, then that's fair enough :')
Reply 181
Original post by SillyEddy
You're mis-understanding the point. I know you can, and I have done in maths, but for most people, why would they need to? Why would they care? They'd probably do it the long way or ask online if it really meant anything to them.

For real world problems, I've never had to use any particularly taxing maths skills. So for a lot of people, they lose interest straight away. You might as well tell them to memorise a phonebook just in case they plan to go into marketing calls. It becomes a pointless task for them, so they stop trying. When they stop trying, they stop succeeding, and so they hate it.

Maths certainly has a purpose, else we wouldn't use it. If someone wanted to go into economics or accounting, then they have a slightly different view of maths to start with.

I'm going into engineering - Give me a something as mundane as a £1 fluid lighter and I'll have hours of fun with it (true story, I actually did when I started to tear one apart)

But for the most part, I think people are discouraged because they cannot see the application. As mentioned above, the schools largely teach you to answer questions instead of understanding the skills. I've sometimes asked maths teachers to run through a problem... I'd get stuck and their response would be akin to saying "It's this, just because it is". They know their stuff, but they don't know what they're teaching. It doesn't make it engaging and there is little practical work to do with it. A friend of mine did A-level further maths and just finished her masters degree in statistics - Clearly, she gets maths. For mere mortals such as myself, I cannot see the obvious point in it, so I get distracted and stop learning it. Engineering will be different I hope, I hope they will have a relevant problem to solve with each tutorial. No more, "just because". Honestly, in all my A-levels maths (I did several years and dropped out a few times before getting my AS) the most exciting part was when they described how second-differentiation could be used to show an engineer when a space rocket was out of fuel. Obviously, we didn't do a practical. In about 2.5 years of work, those 3 seconds were the only time that I had a real world example given to me.

Oh okay. I get you know.
Reply 182
with maths if you give up you will never get ANYWHERE! If your gcse, get mathswatch it will save your life!!! & ask a maths teacher for some extra help - Im sure you'll be fine! xxxx
But for the most part, I think people are discouraged because they cannot see the application. As mentioned above, the schools largely teach you to answer questions instead of understanding the skills. I've sometimes asked maths teachers to run through a problem... I'd get stuck and their response would be akin to saying "It's this, just because it is". They know their stuff, but they don't know what they're teaching.

Of course they know what they're teaching, I'm sorry but the truth of it is that a teacher could explain it if they had time but with a room full of 30 people sometimes that is difficult. For example I learnt absolutely nothing in class for GCSE as my teacher was the same - just not very good at explaining. We got a tutor, I worked hard and I got an A*. Sure it was just GCSE but I wanted to understand it, and I totally agree that lack of understanding behind the maths is to blame.

For mere mortals such as myself, I cannot see the obvious point in it, so I get distracted and stop learning it. Engineering will be different I hope, I hope they will have a relevant problem to solve with each tutorial. No more, "just because". Honestly, in all my A-levels maths (I did several years and dropped out a few times before getting my AS) the most exciting part was when they described how second-differentiation could be used to show an engineer when a space rocket was out of fuel. Obviously, we didn't do a practical. In about 2.5 years of work, those 3 seconds were the only time that I had a real world example given to me.

But I really don't see how not needing to use it later on should make you dislike maths as a given. I've wanted to do law for about the past 3 years now but still I love maths. I think it depends on the individual but the thing with maths is that it takes time to understand, and for most people A levels dont give us enough time to actually get to grips with the subject and enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
because they're black!
Reply 185
Because they have a 'lack of understanding' about what mathematics really is. Most people only go so far as seeing maths as a cool set of tricks for finding out the area of a shape, or working VAT on a shopping bill.

Few people get to a level where they truly understand what they are doing when doing maths, and that they are not just applying a set of magically-obtained rules about seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts.
Original post by blackboy
because they're black!

Oh congrats on your first post. :colonhash:

Original post by VannR
Because they have a 'lack of understanding' about what mathematics really is. Most people only go so far as seeing maths as a cool set of tricks for finding out the area of a shape, or working VAT on a shopping bill.

Few people get to a level where they truly understand what they are doing when doing maths, and that they are not just applying a set of magically-obtained rules about seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts.

And the problem is it must take years to actually reach that level where you understand everything, so what do you do?

I think people should quit moaning about gcse maths though and just take away the skills they need. I find gcse maths comes in quite handy in everyday life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
√-1 love maths
Reply 188
I love maths!!! <3 <3
Reply 189
Original post by Newbie123
Maybe, just maybe, I was joking and there wasn't really any need for you to prove yourself to me by informing me that you're about to study Law?

well you never know he could be studying law at leeds met?
Original post by MrHappy_J
Why so touchy? It was only my opinion.

You can't have an opinion on what numbers are equal to. It's either true or false. False in your case.
Difficulty and lack of freedom to interpret your own ideas and concepts to an extent.
I like using maths I already understand to solve problems. Very satisfying. Learning complicated new stuff can be a real struggle.
in practical terms it's not very useful for the average person. sure, i'm not denying that you need maths for some things, but during day to day life you'll only ever really need multiplication, addition and occasionally percentages. How often have you used pythagoras or trigonometry outside of school?
Original post by Airess3
Why do people in the western countries generally hate Maths? I only know a minority of people who really like maths and find it interesting. But why is there such a dislike about maths in our society? Is it because people have poor numeracy skills resulting in them finding it difficult and boring?? Or is it because of people's lack of determination to practice and do well in Maths? So they give up easily. Why is it genuinely more acceptable to be bad at maths but not in some other subjects like English? And if you are good at or like maths, you are considered as a geek of some sort?

I know this thread is 2 years old but people generally hate maths because they simply dont have the natural ability for it(my opinion)
Reply 195
Your teacher should make maths interesting ,only then ull find it easy.
:biggrin:
And should be positive while practicing even if us answer is wrong just give it a try
Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they're duncy head. Why else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Personally I really dislike maths because I'm used to being able to qork at things and really understand them to reach goos grades, however math is the exception! I get anxiety before exams really bad! Basic maths I can deal with, but sine and cosine, and algebraic fractions are incomprehendable!
I believe some people are just talented at maths and others aren't :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
it's because Maths is commonly portrayed as a negative, complicated, subject in which one has to work extremely hard to achieve a decent grade in. But it's like that with every subject. People assume that without even trying to understand it, so they go into the subject with a negative mindset expecting something complex and confusing. So many people are shocked when I talk about considering maths A level, but it's just another subject.. you have to work out solutions to equations and find 'x'. But the same complexity can be expressed in history, or english, where you have to be consistent with language features and use a range of vocabulary in you work, and you have to produce 1000 word essays and write blogs off the top of your head in exams!! aahhh!
Because it's abysmally taught in schools. That is: it functionally isn't taught in schools.

Latest