Reading & Leeds 2013

Scroll to see replies

My Top 5 Leeds:

1) Eminem
2)Green Day
3)Aluna George [SO Surprisingly good]
4)Robert Delong
5)Johnny Marr

I must say, I went to see BMTH hating them, returned loving them! Thought they were brilliant.
Original post by glousck
Just got home and had the best shower ever. I feel sooooo clean after being at Reading :lol:

People on the thread seem to prefer the more original rock side of R&L but I was just wondering if anyone saw any of the dance acts. This was my first festival and I found out I go a bit crazy in crowds - at Skrillex I managed to get to the front and at Knife Party I was very near the front and was elbowed and kicked (and have some bite marks on my hands!) but I loved it - worth noting I'm a 5 foot 2 19 year old girl, everyone around me was just a tank :lol:

Also thought it was decent for Chase and Status to stop their set to get people to push back. Me and my friends were about 30 seconds walk from the stage and it was quite scary, lots of people passed out being carried out from being crushed.

All in all, a bloody good weekend. Eminem's encore of Lose Yourself was quite emotional, even if some parts of his set looked like it was mimed it was overall very good just for the aspect of a lot of the R&L crowd were kids, grew up and came of age with Eminem. Was something different and special. Major Lazer was also unexpectedly very, VERY good. Mashups were very good. Will definitely be back next year but for now, I'm basking n the fact I'm showered and had a nutritious meal in me now :biggrin:

Hope everyone had an equally great time!!

I saw all of these acts at Leeds, they were great :biggrin: Knife Party was insane!
I enjoyed it, didn't live up to the magic of the first time I went but definitely as good as the last 2 years. I am convinced the people there are becoming worse though, first year I went I was struck by how nice everyone was but this year there seemed to be a lot of *****.

Completely unexpectedly for me, Skrillex was one of the most enjoyable acts of the weekend. I was admittedly very drunk but I'm glad I didn't listen to people saying I should avoid.

Biffy were fantastic too. Alt-J were another highlight and I'm glad I don't regret missing Eminem. NIN sounded great but I did feel Trent took his frustration at the promoters out on audience, when Biffy came on you got the sense they were trying to put on the best gig of their lives but NIN just kind of played their stuff and walked off. And it sucked to own 4 of their albums and only hear 2 tracks I actually knew (apart from new material). I know Trent does his own thing but the set needed a couple more crowd pleasers (Hurt, Hand that Feeds, Closer, Star****ers or whatever). I think it's safe to say they won't be coming back :/

Good time though. Probably will go again next year but as a volunteer this time, my friend said he found his work really easy.
Absolutely incredible at Leeds.

Eminem was out of this world and when Dido came on I nearly died!! Had shivers throughout the entire thing!

Saw knife party, skrillex & green day, chase and status, peace, fall out boy and loads loads more.

Silent disco was always amazing! Lives a bit of S Club 7 at 3:30 in a morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1144
I really wish I would have watched all of Tomahawks performance instead of leaving halfway for Eminem. It was probably the most underwhelming headline performance I have seen at a festival. He barely performed any of his songs in full, did a really short set and relied too much on backing tracks. Every time I noticed that it was the backing track and not him it took me out of the performance. I was actually really excited and happy with the booking but it was a huge letdown.

Biffy gave by far the best headline performance at Leeds. Not only did they have the best production but they were by far the tightest live act. Considering they were following Nine Inch Nails there was a possibility they could have underwhelmed, instead they gave it everything and it paid off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Devel
I really wish I would have watched all of Tomahawks performance instead of leaving halfway for Eminem. It was probably the most underwhelming headline performance I have seen at a festival. He barely performed any of his songs in full, did a really short set and relied too much on backing tracks. Every time I noticed that it was the backing track and not him it took me out of the performance. I was actually really excited and happy with the booking but it was a huge letdown.

Biffy gave by far the best headline performance at Leeds. Not only did they have the best production but they were by far the tightest live act. Considering they were following Nine Inch Nails there was a possibility they could have underwhelmed, instead they gave it everything and it paid off.

I Caught 10 minutes of the Tomahawk performances before Eminem and It was the worst thing i've seen all weekend. Love Mike Patton, but the sound [?] was awful
Also, Leeds People..

Was anyone else really disappointed with C&S?
Reply 1147
Original post by JLXP
I Caught 10 minutes of the Tomahawk performances before Eminem and It was the worst thing i've seen all weekend. Love Mike Patton, but the sound [?] was awful

I thought it sounded great. They captured everything Mike was doing vocally which I thought might have been an issue in Lock-Up. There were a few bands over the weekend in which the vocals just weren't right in the mix but I didn't notice that with Tomahawk.

Original post by JLXP

I must say, I went to see BMTH hating them, returned loving them! Thought they were brilliant.

I've heard that from a few people. I thought they were great and I can't believe they were the same band I watched on the Machine Head tour. Glad they are progressively getting better live in line with their music getting better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Devel
I thought it sounded great. They captured everything Mike was doing vocally which I thought might have been an issue in Lock-Up. There were a few bands over the weekend in which the vocals just weren't right in the mix but I didn't notice that with Tomahawk.

I was probably far too excited to see Eminem to concentrate on anything else. Mike is a brilliant frontman, though. I must give him that.
Reply 1149
Original post by Devel

Agree completely here. I was a bit underwhelmed about Eminem. I understand sometimes that they do sing over backing tracks when they have to rap as it takes a lot of effort but still, I paid a lot of money for that festival and I'd like to the see the acts entirely live, not singing over one of their songs. Since I wasn't camping, I was staying in Leeds centre, me and my friend left a bit early to beat the rush because the performance really wasn't doing it for us.

I agree about Biffy too, which really surprised me. I've never been a very big Biffy fan, but I've come out of the weekend wanting to buy all their records. Green Day have been one of my favourite bands for years, yet I enjoyed the Biffy performance more. Their set was incredible and words can't describe how awesome they sound live. Green day were amazing - but Biffy were something else.
Reply 1150
Original post by JLXP
Also, Leeds People..

I enjoyed eastern jam and when Tempz came out but apart from that I thought they were pretty lame
Reply 1151
Original post by Toshiya
Since I wasn't camping, I was staying in Leeds centre, me and my friend left a bit early to beat the rush because the performance really wasn't doing it for us.

SO LUCKY!! Me and my friend had to wait in a line (even though we had tickets) for like 3 hours!
Seeing lots of people raving about Biffy... Was anyone else disappointed they only played 1 old song (57)? I was a huge fan back in the day and saw them live about 6 times 10 years ago so I was really disappointed they only played one song from their first few albums.

Green Day on the other hand were absolutely brilliant, Dookie in full made my weekend :coma:
Reply 1153
Original post by 0range
SO LUCKY!! Me and my friend had to wait in a line (even though we had tickets) for like 3 hours!

I remember the queue for the shuttle buses after Green Day... Standing in a bus queue for ages cold, soggy and muddy was lovely :tongue:
Reply 1154
Original post by Toshiya
Agree completely here. I was a bit underwhelmed about Eminem. I understand sometimes that they do sing over backing tracks when they have to rap as it takes a lot of effort but still, I paid a lot of money for that festival and I'd like to the see the acts entirely live, not singing over one of their songs. Since I wasn't camping, I was staying in Leeds centre, me and my friend left a bit early to beat the rush because the performance really wasn't doing it for us.

I agree about Biffy too, which really surprised me. I've never been a very big Biffy fan, but I've come out of the weekend wanting to buy all their records. Green Day have been one of my favourite bands for years, yet I enjoyed the Biffy performance more. Their set was incredible and words can't describe how awesome they sound live. Green day were amazing - but Biffy were something else.

I think it was the combination of relying on backing tracks even though Mr. Porter was on stage, only performing short sections of his songs and a really short set that let me down. I did enjoy it but considering he is the biggest artist of the 21st century I expected more. I will say that even right at the back pretty much everyone was enjoying it.
Reply 1155
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Seeing lots of people raving about Biffy... Was anyone else disappointed they only played 1 old song (57)? I was a huge fan back in the day and saw them live about 6 times 10 years ago so I was really disappointed they only played one song from their first few albums.

Green Day on the other hand were absolutely brilliant, Dookie in full made my weekend :coma:

I would have liked Jaggy Snake. :yep:
Original post by JLXP
Also, Leeds People..

I thought they were quite good but I saw them in 2011 and compared to that, their performance was underwhelming.
I was interviewing bands all weekend but I have to say Eminem's performance shouldn't of closed the weekend. Hype man? Mimed the entire thing to backing vocal track? Absolute joke.

Chase and status absolutely killed it however and a better order would have been Eminem then chase and status IMHO.
Reply 1158
I don't think the BBC showed NIN as part of their coverage so here it is.

Setlist;
Copy of A
Disappointed
Came Back Haunted
Sanctified
Find My Way
Me, I'm Not
The Warning
Somewhat Damaged
The Beginning of the End
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Survivalism
Burn
Gave Up
Wish

This is what they played at Leeds;
Wish
Terrible Lie
The Beginning of the End
March of the Pigs
Survivalism
Piggy
Burn
Reptile
The Frail
The Wretched
Gave Up
Suck
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
Reply 1159
Original post by Swwils
I was interviewing bands all weekend but I have to say Eminem's performance shouldn't of closed the weekend. Hype man? Mimed the entire thing to backing vocal track? Absolute joke.

Chase and status absolutely killed it however and a better order would have been Eminem then chase and status IMHO.

You mean have a band who are yet to do an arena tour headline above the biggest worldwide artist of this century?

Quick Reply

Latest