The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Living at home at Keele?

Hello :smile:
I'm starting at Keele this year and am living at home because I'm only down the road. I'm at risk of sounding a bit stupid here but I'm worried that living at home means I'm going to struggle meeting people and won't be able to enjoy freshers as I'll have no-one to go out with :s-smilie: I'm not always the most confident and outgoing of people at the best of times. Anyone in the same boat?

Scroll to see replies

Ya I am on the same boat. I am going to Bournemouth UNi and I am living at home like you I am worried if I will meat new people or will be able to enjoy the university life. Mabe I might move into university accommodation just for fun.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
hi, i'm living at home and i'm going to reading university.
I have the same problem, my main choice is Keele and I'm choosing to stay at home as I only live about 20minutes away on the bus... ><

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by biffyCallbutt
I have the same problem, my main choice is Keele and I'm choosing to stay at home as I only live about 20minutes away on the bus... ><

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lucy_ac
I'm starting at Keele this year and am living at home because I'm only down the road. I'm at risk of sounding a bit stupid here but I'm worried that living at home means I'm going to struggle meeting people and won't be able to enjoy freshers as I'll have no-one to go out with :s-smilie: I'm not always the most confident and outgoing of people at the best of times. Anyone in the same boat?

I commute in from my uni (Cardiff) as I live around 20 mins away, it wasn't part of the plan but actually it's worked out really well. I've made awesome friends and I just stay over theirs when we go out. It's like I get the advantages of living away without the disadvantages. :tongue: What really worked with me is that I do a joint honors (History and Philosophy) and so I've made a really close friend from each subject within the first month. As I know we have a lot in common they introduced me to their friendship groups and I get on with their friends brilliantly. It's also so easy to make friends with people on the course.

My one regret is not joining societies. People there are really willing to make friends and aren't just obsessed with getting drunk with their flamates, so make a good opportunity for people who live at home to make friends with people not just on their course. Talking to my old school friends who live away, it seems that they have more less close-friends and I have fewer super close ones. You'll all be fine. :biggrin:
Original post by lucy_ac

ok not in the same boat but if you get to uni and think **** I wish i was in halls go to the accommodation office in the first few days of fresher there should be a spare hall of someone who went and it didn't fit or something it happens all the time good luck
Reply 6
Original post by lucy_ac

Hey, i'm going to keele too and staying at home! what course are you studying? I was worried too
Reply 7
Original post by biffyCallbutt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live 20 mins away from keele too, and i'm staying at home and driving in:smile: what course are you doing?
Reply 8
I'm staying at home too and was really worried since I'm quite shy around new people. I am taking a dual honours so hopefully I'll find a few friends. What courses are you guys taking?
Reply 9
Original post by bahalo
I'm staying at home too and was really worried since I'm quite shy around new people. I am taking a dual honours so hopefully I'll find a few friends. What courses are you guys taking?

I'm taking history and international relations, what about you?
Reply 10
Original post by tmmd
I'm taking history and international relations, what about you?

Chemistry and international relations, so at least we have that in common!
Reply 11
Original post by bahalo
Chemistry and international relations, so at least we have that in common!

Yeah, i havent seen many people taking international relations yet. Where are you commuting from?
Reply 12
Hi, I'm commuting from home and I will be doing Pharmacy. Does anybody think we should become friends? Already I'm feeling as I might get left out when it comes to making friends even though I'm quite confident in approaching people. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by tmmd
Yeah, i havent seen many people taking international relations yet. Where are you commuting from?

I am kind of worried about it, but I'm guessing everyone else taking it just didn't mention it here or on the Keele Freshers' facebook site. I wouldn't mind it having smaller numbers, though.
I'm commuting from Birmingham. It's a bit of a distance but I have family stuff going on all this year sooooooooooo ):
Reply 14
Original post by hamza1394
Hi, I'm commuting from home and I will be doing Pharmacy. Does anybody think we should become friends? Already I'm feeling as I might get left out when it comes to making friends even though I'm quite confident in approaching people. :biggrin:

Those of us that are staying off campus/ commuting have extra freshers events for us as well i think :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by bahalo
I am kind of worried about it, but I'm guessing everyone else taking it just didn't mention it here or on the Keele Freshers' facebook site. I wouldn't mind it having smaller numbers, though.
I'm commuting from Birmingham. It's a bit of a distance but I have family stuff going on all this year sooooooooooo ):

I think quite a few of the students will be international ones as well. I checked the website and it said the intake is usually 90 people for IR so it isnt tiny i guess.

How are you commuting from there?
Reply 16
Original post by tmmd
Those of us that are staying off campus/ commuting have extra freshers events for us as well i think :smile:

oh thats good. I'm looking forward to the freshers fair on the 29th Sept. It'll give me a chance to check out the SU :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by tmmd
I think quite a few of the students will be international ones as well. I checked the website and it said the intake is usually 90 people for IR so it isnt tiny i guess.

How are you commuting from there?

That would make sense. I'm definitely more excited for international relations than I am for chemistry, at the moment. What about you? What are the history modules like?

I'm getting the train! It's going to be a bit of a nuisance tbqh but there's nothing else I can do at the moment
Reply 18
Original post by bahalo
That would make sense. I'm definitely more excited for international relations than I am for chemistry, at the moment. What about you? What are the history modules like?

I'm getting the train! It's going to be a bit of a nuisance tbqh but there's nothing else I can do at the moment

Yeah, im not really sure about the history modules. The ones ive seen look allright though. Im kinda confused about electives and the modules though :confused:

So im guessing your going on the train to stoke then a bus to keele then?
Reply 19
Original post by tmmd
Yeah, im not really sure about the history modules. The ones ive seen look allright though. Im kinda confused about electives and the modules though :confused:

So im guessing your going on the train to stoke then a bus to keele then?

http://www.keele.ac.uk/electives/modules/modulesl1-l1/
This was sort of helpful but, in all honesty, I wish they'd say how much each was worth. It's kind of difficult to just try and guess what you need to. It'd probably be easier to phone them. Have you got your eVision login details yet?

Yep. Apparently, it's going to take about 2 hours so I'm really hoping I can pass my driving test sooner rather than later, to cut it down to an hour.

Quick Reply

Latest