The Student Room Group

A-Levels Questions

1) Can i take 3 As levels subjects? Or would universities not take a second look at my application. I intend on carrying them all to A2, these are the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.
2) I'm currently taking economics as my 4th A-level subject and i'm really struggling with it, is english language or sociology an okay subject to swap it for? Or would it be wiser to just drop it now and focus on getting A's in my main subjects?
3) I'm currently in year 12 but would like to resit my gcse's physics to bring my overall grade from a AB to AA, would it be wise? Or would universities just look down on me? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Iyun
1) Can i take 3 As levels subjects? Or would universities not take a second look at my application. I intend on carrying them all to A2, these are the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.
2) I'm currently taking economics as my 4th A-level subject and i'm really struggling with it, is english language or sociology an okay subject to swap it for? Or would it be wiser to just drop it now and focus on getting A's in my main subjects?
3) I'm currently in year 12 but would like to resit my gcse's physics to bring my overall grade from a AB to AA, would it be wise? Or would universities just look down on me? :s-smilie:

Don't take just three AS levels as that will seriously hinder your chances of getting in. It's absolutely fine to swap Economics for either of those subjects so that would be your best course of action.
Original post by Iyun

1. You MUST have a 4th AS subject as well as your 3 A2s.
2. If you are not going to get a B or A in econ, swap it. Either of your options will be fine for a 4th AS
3. Check the GCSE Requirements Wiki, I think most wouldn't care. But am not sure on this.
Reply 3
Thank you ever so much guys!! I will swap economics for English Language. Is studying medicine material science as competitive as medicine?
Reply 4
Original post by Iyun
Thank you ever so much guys!! I will swap economics for English Language. Is studying medicine material science as competitive as medicine?

no
Original post by myyrh
Don't take just three AS levels as that will seriously hinder your chances of getting in. It's absolutely fine to swap Economics for either of those subjects so that would be your best course of action.

Don't unis care about the fourth AS-Level though, like would they choose someone with AABU over someone with AAA and no 4rth subject.
Reply 6
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Don't unis care about the fourth AS-Level though, like would they choose someone with AABU over someone with AAA and no 4rth subject.

They do care about the fourth AS. In most cases, both of your suggested applicants would be rejected if they applied to a medical school which required a fourth subject. The person with AAA has just three subjects so doesn't fulfill the minimum requirements and the person with AABU does have four subjects but the U will be unacceptable. Most medical schools are pretty relaxed about AS levels but it's important that the subject you plan to drop is at least a B to give you suitable options of where to apply to.
Reply 7
Guys I'm doing 3AS levels but intend to pick up further maths next year if all goes well will this hinder my chances? taking 1AS level alongside 3A2's (Maths,history economics) just started AS.
Reply 8
Original post by Robbie242
Guys I'm doing 3AS levels but intend to pick up further maths next year if all goes well will this hinder my chances? taking 1AS level alongside 3A2's (Maths,history economics) just started AS.

This thread is about 3AS levels when applying for medicine.
Reply 9
Original post by myyrh
This thread is about 3AS levels when applying for medicine.

Oh, ok I'm being blind... sorry do you have any insight onto a maths history or economics course? are 3AS levels fine for this?
Reply 10
Original post by Robbie242
Oh, ok I'm being blind... sorry do you have any insight onto a maths history or economics course? are 3AS levels fine for this?

Sorry man I have no idea.
Reply 11
Original post by myyrh
Sorry man I have no idea.

Oh well thank you anyway!
Reply 12
Original post by Iyun

A lot of universities have requirements regarding A-Levels.
Most require 3 A-Levels (the full A-Level - AS AND A2), some may require 2, but most require 3, and all require at least 2.
These are built into the conditions of points-based universities too. A lot of universities will require 300 points from at least 2 A-Levels. So, if you got 200 points from A2 (2 Bs at A-Level) and 2 Bs at AS (50 points each), you'd meet the requirement.

Be sure to clear it with universities first though.

I'd advise choosing carefully between the two, but both are respectable subjects. :smile:

Probably not. If you intend on doing it, I'd recommend you do it outside of school (on a gap year maybe), as it will mess up your A2 studies.
GCSEs generally don't matter in all, and an AB over an AA won't be the be all and end all, universities generally care about predicted and AS grades more than anything. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by lizolove
A lot of universities have requirements regarding A-Levels.
Most require 3 A-Levels (the full A-Level - AS AND A2), some may require 2, but most require 3, and all require at least 2.
These are built into the conditions of points-based universities too. A lot of universities will require 300 points from at least 2 A-Levels. So, if you got 200 points from A2 (2 Bs at A-Level) and 2 Bs at AS (50 points each), you'd meet the requirement.

Be sure to clear it with universities first though.

I'd advise choosing carefully between the two, but both are respectable subjects. :smile:

Probably not. If you intend on doing it, I'd recommend you do it outside of school (on a gap year maybe), as it will mess up your A2 studies.
GCSEs generally don't matter in all, and an AB over an AA won't be the be all and end all, universities generally care about predicted and AS grades more than anything. :smile:

Thank you soo much for taking the time to respond!! :smile: i feel a lot more relaxed about my decisions now.
Reply 14
Original post by Iyun

1. Would strongly advice against just doing 3 AS-Levels.

2. Swap it if you want and if it means you will perform better.

3. Most don't care, but contact them to let them know just in case.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Iyun
Thank you soo much for taking the time to respond!! :smile: i feel a lot more relaxed about my decisions now.

No worries. Good luck in the future. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending