The Student Room Group

Which Unis for Math&Phil?

Which universities can I realistically apply to to study Mathematics and Philosophy Joint Hons?

I have GCSE 9A*s 2As, I took A-level Maths a year early (A* incl. 97 and 100 in C3 and C4) and am now studying for my A2s in Further Maths (A), English Lit. (B) and Physics (A). I also did AS Computing (A). The school are currently appealing the whole year's English exam grades so that B may go up to an A. Either way I am fairly confident that I can get an A in A2 English.

I am considering Oxford, Warwick, Durham, Lancaster, Bristol, York and Manchester. Which of these are good/ realistic choices? In particular can I make a realistic application to Oxford?

Apart from that how can I whittle down this list to five universities?

Thanks,
Charles
Read the course descriptions carefully - not all Maths courses are the same.

Go to some Open Days.
Reply 2
I am also applying for Maths&Phil, and am applying to Oxford, Warwick, King's college london, Lancaster and Birmingham.

I don't think there is a mathsphil course in Durham however.

I think you definitely have a good shot at Oxford, definitely apply. You don't want any regrets. And after Warwick, the rest of your options are very similar in success, so I would look at what you would prefer in courses and in distance from you :smile:

They are all realistic choices, especially with your maths A level already in the bag :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks Ldbright. The Durham course would be choosing the maths and philosophy route in their natural sciences degree.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by charleswalker
Which universities can I realistically apply to to study Mathematics and Philosophy Joint Hons?

I have GCSE 9A*s 2As, I took A-level Maths a year early (A* incl. 97 and 100 in C3 and C4) and am now studying for my A2s in Further Maths (A), English Lit. (B) and Physics (A). I also did AS Computing (A). The school are currently appealing the whole year's English exam grades so that B may go up to an A. Either way I am fairly confident that I can get an A in A2 English.

I am considering Oxford, Warwick, Durham, Lancaster, Bristol, York and Manchester. Which of these are good/ realistic choices? In particular can I make a realistic application to Oxford?

Thanks,
Charles

Just to be clear, you have AS levels in English Lit (B) and Physics (A), Computing (A) which you have dropped, along with A* in A level Maths?
If so then I'd say that applying to Oxford would be a good idea, particularly as the admissions for Maths and Philosophy might be easier than straight Maths. You will have to answer some different questions on the Oxford MAT due to choosing the combined degree too. The MAT exam is difficult, and it is the main factor in admissions to Oxford. You will also need to interview well in both Maths and Philosophy based interviews. The point I'm trying to make is that your grades won't hold you back, but your preparation for the above is still very important.

So your choices are:
Oxford (A*A*A)
Warwick (A*A*A+2/A*AA+1)
Durham (A*AA?)
Lancaster (AAB)
Bristol (AAA)
York (AAB)
Manchester (A*BB)

I think that you should definitely apply to Oxford, Warwick, Durham because your maths modules so far look to be very good. I'm assuming that due to 97 and 100 in c3 and c4 that your other modules would be very good, if you have a UMS average over 93% then definitely apply to Durham. Manchester looks like a very good backup, don't be put off by the low offer because it is a very good university, and the offer is only low because you do further maths. Then either Lancaster/Bristol/York, it is all down to personal preference. The bottom line is you will be fine with any of these universities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
You can certainly make a realistic application to Oxford.

But have you considered Computer Science and Philosophy? See http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computer_Science_and_Philosophy. Just a suggestion....
Original post by charleswalker

Thanks,
Charles

I think you can make a realistic application to anywhere, including Oxford. Good luck!

Original post by gavinlowe
You can certainly make a realistic application to Oxford.

But have you considered Computer Science and Philosophy? See http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computer_Science_and_Philosophy. Just a suggestion....

I love the self-advertising, Professor Lowe. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by fGDu
Just to be clear, you have AS levels in English Lit (B) and Physics (A), Computing (A) which you have dropped, along with A* in A level Maths?

Yes.

Original post by fGDu
If so then I'd say that applying to Oxford would be a good idea, particularly as the admissions for Maths and Philosophy might be easier than straight Maths.

I don't think that is true.

Original post by fGDu
You will have to answer some different questions on the Oxford MAT due to choosing the combined degree too.

I think the questions are the same except for Maths&CompSci or straight CompSci. E.g. http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/private/active/0/speca5.pdf

Original post by fGDu
The MAT exam is difficult, and it is the main factor in admissions to Oxford. You will also need to interview well in both Maths and Philosophy based interviews. The point I'm trying to make is that your grades won't hold you back, but your preparation for the above is still very important.

So your choices are:
Oxford (A*A*A)
Warwick (A*A*A+2/A*AA+1)
Durham (A*AA?)
Lancaster (AAB)
Bristol (AAA)
York (AAB)
Manchester (A*BB)

I think that you should definitely apply to Oxford, Warwick, Durham because your maths modules so far look to be very good. I'm assuming that due to 97 and 100 in c3 and c4 that your other modules would be very good, if you have a UMS average over 93% then definitely apply to Durham. Manchester looks like a very good backup, don't be put off by the low offer because it is a very good university, and the offer is only low because you do further maths. Then either Lancaster/Bristol/York, it is all down to personal preference. The bottom line is you will be fine with any of these universities.

Thanks. I was thinking Oxford/Warwick/Durham/Lancaster/Bristol, do you think I should change one of these to Manchester as a backup option?

Quick Reply

Latest