The Student Room Group

German Practise Essay! Mohammed Caricature

Hey guys!

I have to write an essay in German on: Do the western Media hve the right to publish caricatures of the prophet mohammed?

I am really stuck with this and I have to write 500 words!! Please guys could you help me with your arguements and opinions.

I hope you are all working hard over the easter holidays!! I know I am :wink:

Hope to hear from you all soon

Cheerz xx
Reply 1
My opinion = it's only muslims who aren't ever meant to depict mohammed... It's fine for the rest of us I think. I can't stand it when people get too caught up in being PC.
Reply 2
Ah the whole free speech thing ay? I'll try to condense my opinions:
People have the right of free speech, but we DON'T have the right to not be offended by things. I.e. I think that Muslims do not have the right to say "You can't publish that, it offends me, and I have the right not to be offended by what the media publishes.'
Hmmm, hope that makes sense. Basically I find it really irritating that some Muslims believe that their beliefs should constitute law over humanity as a whole (I read somewhere that a largely Muslim area in/near London tried to make Muslim law actual law for that area, which I think is silly). I'm not trying to offend Muslims or their religion, but all the other major religions have learned to co-exist with the law and with other religions, so why should they be an exception?
People NEED to get used to other people questioning their religion.
Right, back to the original question:redface:
I think the answer is yes, the media do have the right. However, it should be pointed out that it may not have been the best use of their freedom of speech, i.e. did the reason for publishing merit the consequences, or was it published soley to test free speech? The media needs to take responsability for what it publishes, it can't always hide behind free speech.
Reply 3
paddy357
I think the answer is yes, the media do have the right. However, it should be pointed out that it may not have been the best use of their freedom of speech, i.e. did the reason for publishing merit the consequences, or was it published soley to test free speech? The media needs to take responsability for what it publishes, it can't always hide behind free speech.

:ditto: It's basically the question if you have an absolute right of freedom of speech or if it's a) external limited (you cannot really claim this in a democracy) or if b) the individual toes himself to self-censorsip, what you also might call responsibility.
Reply 4
Thank guys for all your help so far!

Keeo posting though :0
Reply 5
I guess it depends how you look at it. For example there's no way a newspaper could print a cartoon portraying a racist message, because it would be seen as promoting rascism right? and in todays society most people like to think that we have moved past that now(whether in reality that is so is debatable), and something like that would (rightly so) be seen as offensive and i'd be suprised if that didnt make headlines. so wasn't the depicture of mohammed a similar case? it was clearly offensive to muslims, and there was no need for it and in my opinion all it did was promote religious hatred/segregation, which i think is the last thing that is needed right now because there is a lack of understanding of the middle east as it is. However the above is merely my own personal opinion, hope it helped in some way!

Latest

Trending

Trending