The Student Room Group

Using a router in halls

My room in halls has a standard ethernet port, connected to a phone, which then connects to my laptop, again by an ehternet cable.

What i want to do, is set up a Thompson ADSL router i have so that i can use the wifi for my phone and xbox. having looked around, i realised i have the wrong thing, as my router connects to a standard phone line, not ethernet.

but the thing is, i DO have a phone line in my room, separate from my ethernet. So i connected my router to the phone line via an ADSL filter, aaaaaand... nothing.

'broadband' light flashing on my router, wireless straight green, internet light off.

is this phone line a dud? or am i doing something wrong? i don't fancy forking out 20 quid for a simple wireless access point that plugs into the ethernet port.
Original post by PaddyCMaher

I think its a standard rule for all halls not to have a router set up (wireless security reasons?). I believe you will have to speak to whoever is in charge of your halls.

However, there's 2 type of broadband, cable and ADSL (phone line broadband). Your halls sounds like it has cable. A cable router connects via the WAN port via ethernet.
Reply 2
Depends a lot on where you are as to whats:
a) allowed
b) the best route

However the phone socket (assuming it's connected to something at the other end) probably isn't a BT phone socket so won't do ADSL, If it's a BT socket you'de have to pay line rental and ADSL fees on top which would cost you more than buying a top of the range router/ap.

What you're likely to want is a cable wireless router (or possibly a Wireless Access Point).
Reply 3
Dear Jumpin' Jesus, not this again. Each September/October we get about 103 threads like this every week. How hard is it to stick to the T&Cs you signed up for?

Chances are you're not allowed to, and it takes some technical know-how to avoid automatic alarm triggering, port shutdown and NAT detection etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ch0llima
Dear Jumpin' Jesus, not this again. Each September/October we get about 103 threads like this every week. How hard is it to stick to the T&Cs you signed up for?

Chances are you're not allowed to, and it takes some technical know-how to avoid automatic alarm triggering, port shutdown and NAT detection etc.

hey calm down there, i AM allowed to, it IS in the T&Cs, i HAVE read the previous threads, but they didn't address if it was possible with the BT phone line which i DO have.

second post answered my question, thank you very much.
Reply 5
Someone set up a wireless in my halls last year and EVERYONE was harassing him constantly for the password. But the uni never found or did anything so up to you if you really need wireless or not, personally i just get a 100 meter ethernet cable and drag it where ever i want.
Reply 6
Original post by Lenry
Someone set up a wireless in my halls last year and EVERYONE was harassing him constantly for the password. But the uni never found or did anything so up to you if you really need wireless or not, personally i just get a 100 meter ethernet cable and drag it where ever i want.

I hope not a 100m cable as you'll be taking ethernet well beyond the specs (which say max length is 100m between active devices and up to 90m can be between the patch panel and faceplate). 10m would be more like it and should be a safe length.
Reply 7
Original post by Lenry

Anecdotal evidence that can get you into severely hot water. Not to mention the safety issues of trailing an ethernet cable all over. Want to get sued for personal injury?

Ignore this advice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why is this such a big deal? I had an Ethernet router connected to my room's Ethernet port throughout the whole year, and I didn't share my WiFi password and no one harassed me for it. And the university didn't find out either.
Original post by thatrollingstone
Why is this such a big deal? I had an Ethernet router connected to my room's Ethernet port throughout the whole year, and I didn't share my WiFi password and no one harassed me for it. And the university didn't find out either.

Setting up routers wrong with the insufficient security settings is a problem which can lead to unauthorised users leeching on the university network. It causes problems for the university for example, if these unauthorised users download illegal content and is found out by the producers, legal action is sent to the university which causes headaches for the network administrator browsing tonnes of logs trying to trace who the person was.

If the university network is taken down because of this, its disrupts everything and everyone, loss of access to course materials and uni mail for example.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by thatrollingstone

A lot of Universities don't like it due to the risks of it being insecure and other people than the authorised person being able to use it. There's also the risk of it being done wrong and causing issues for other people (e.g router setup as an access point and running a dhcp server, i.e. not running as a router), you'de be surprised at how often that sort of thing happens (I'm pretty sure I've seen some suggestions on here saying to do that).
It is possible for an admin to detect unauthorised routers and subnets on their networks, in fact this is what a lot of them will be doing day in day out to ensure there are no unauthorised users connecting to their network. If they have any sense, they will simply block the switch port your new subnet is connected to.

Check the terms of use very carefully, if routers are not permitted, then you can get in serious trouble by connecting them.

You will be held responsible for all content accessed by users connecting to that router.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending