The Student Room Group

Best books for first year medic?

Hey!
just started uni and I need books!! there are so many and I just wanted peoples opinions on which are the best ones. I've heard Grey's anatomy is a must, but what others would you recommend?

Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Your school should have a set of recommended readings. Take a look at it and ask the medical students in the year above you what textbooks most people use. There's also Digitalis's textbook review thread in the current medical student forum to take a look.

Try out a few books at the library first and see which ones you like/spend a lot of time using before you really purchase it. Grey's anatomy provides too much information for students unless you are reeeeaaalllly interested in surgery in the future. I have grey's anatomy for students and really like it - nice pictures and easy organisation of information.
Don't buy a thing. Go to the med school library and see what works for you. People have different learning styles and all the conventional texts (Grays, Tortora) were no good for me. You should find out what works for you before spending £40+ on one book.

Take out some books, see if you like them. If not, put them back and get different ones out. Do this until you've found your favourites and then think about buying.
Reply 3
Original post by POWCATTY
Hey!
just started uni and I need books!! there are so many and I just wanted peoples opinions on which are the best ones. I've heard Grey's anatomy is a must, but what others would you recommend?

Thanks!!!

Only if you're really bored and there's nothing else on TV...
Original post by Democracy
Only if you're really bored and there's nothing else on TV...

After looking at Gray's Anatomy in the library for ten minutes, I can pass on the advice of: "**** that."
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
After looking at Gray's Anatomy in the library for ten minutes, I can pass on the advice of: "**** that."

Gray's Anatomy (for Students) is an entirely different matter, and as anatomy textbooks go I find it quite engaging actually.

Grey's Anatomy is pretty naff though :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Heyy, my problem is more or less the same, I'm studying medicine outside UK, and I am a first year student too , my school doesnt have a med-school library and I dont think any other school has a library which is good enough in here :/ Does anyone have any useful links to books, tutorials?? Or any advice on how to study? Btw, you are talking about the book Greys Anatomy- should a first year student buy that? Because I think in first year the course is basic,.. Will it help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending