The Student Room Group

Does your uni have designated lunch times ?

Hello All,

We have just got our new timetable and we have some odd days where we do not get a lunch break E.g 11 - 2 and 9-2 with only a 5 minute break between lecs,sems & labs to get to the next room.

Do any uni's have a common lunch break like 12-1 or 1-2 for their students ?

They just seem a bit too long ?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My uni doesnt have a lunch break, you just get lunch when theres a gap in the timetable. Or if there is no gap, just buy food at some point and eat in class
Reply 2
Nope. Well not at mine anyway- I've had days before when lectures have run from 10-3! You have to just frantically eat a sandwich as you walk between venues :tongue:
Reply 3
No good :frown:
Reply 4
well standard lunchtime world wide is 12-3...
Nope, some classes go on until 1pm whereas others start at 12. Like people have said, some lectures may run on through the day between 10-2pm, so the lecturer may give a 15min break to eat something.
lectures can go on for quite a long time in uni I remember one day my lectures ended at 8 We got that changed so we ended at 7 but no they don't have a designated lunch time although on my couese we usually had a free at about 1 or 2 which i used as a lunch break on the day that ended at 7 we had a free at 6 which was supper for me (in my 2nd year we had sensible times) but no you will get a free between 1 and 3
I don't think UEA does. Plus their lecture start/end on the hour. Not so bad if you're in the same room, but not so good if you're next lecture is in a different building! And lecturers don't want to let you go early, else you're missing their work, but they aren't happy if you arrive a few mins late as you miss their intro!
I'm at MMU and we don't get standardised lunch breaks, we just have to use time between lectures where we're not busy to get lunch.
Reply 9
Lunch is whenever you get a break!
Reply 10
Nope, my lunch times vary from 11 on a Thursday to 3 on a Tuesday.
Reply 11
Like most others, my university lunch breaks are between lectures, when there is a break in the timetable - no designated lunchtime. We usually have at least an hour though, some days 2.
My lectures ran in slots of 9-11, 11-1, 2-4, 4-6 and sometimes 6-8.

No matter how our timetable is like for any day of the week, there is never a lecture scheduled between 1-2 for my course, so that was our 'designated' lunchtime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. Uni isn't school.

You eat when you have a gap or you just eat during a lecture.
Original post by Clare~Bear
I don't think UEA does. Plus their lecture start/end on the hour. Not so bad if you're in the same room, but not so good if you're next lecture is in a different building! And lecturers don't want to let you go early, else you're missing their work, but they aren't happy if you arrive a few mins late as you miss their intro!

UEA definitley does from 12:50-1:10 although not all lecturers start/finish lectures on time so this can be a problem.
Ummm... nope O.o

I normally have like 2 lectures a day, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon. Between then, it's free time :tongue:
Reply 16
No neither of mine do/did.

Although I'm 99% sure that Royal Holloway does. I find this really weird...
Original post by jelly1000
UEA definitley does from 12:50-1:10 although not all lecturers start/finish lectures on time so this can be a problem.

Maybe it's changed. My mum went there and sometimes had to take me as well. I definitely remembered her having lectures that ended/started at the same time. But she had to leave me in the cafe when she had mid day seminars. Perhaps she did get a quick early lunch . . .
Our morning timetable slots are 9-1, afternoon slots are 1-5... morning lecturers assume you'll eat after 1, afternoon lecturers assume you'll eat before...so...good job I perfected the art of sneaky class eating!
No. This isnt school.
You just have to eat when you can, request coffee breaks, and get used to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending