The Student Room Group

Changing Brampton induction day

Would it be possible to reschedule the induction day Brampton has offered? I just received a taster session from NCS that's on the same day and because that's my first option, I would rather go to that one but I'm still interested in going Brampton
they've said that bc they're too oversubscribed this year, changing it isn't possible - it was on the portal above the accept/decline button.
Reply 2
Do you think if I get the career advisor from my school to try and change the day, it would be possible? Like I get they're oversubscribed but no harm in trying to get it changed
That happened to me too, but I already accepted the Brampton offer thing before NCS sent theirs so I couldn't change that date. NCS gave an option to change the date to their induction day in the email they sent, in case you weren't able to be make it, so I just changed my NCS date.
Original post by seizaa
honestly, im currently an ncs student in y12 and it's hell here. id say go brampton, they care about your wellbeing more. my mental health is gone LOL

Ive had a lot of teachers giving horror stories of ex-Brampton students who moved to NCS after. Do you have any friends that go Brampton? What do they say and thanksss
Original post by seizaa
i dont know anyone there personally, but i have friends with siblings/friends that go there. both ncs and brampton work you to the bone, but from what i hear, brampton is better. not only do they get a lot more oxbridge offers, they have programs like pe and better clubs for your mental health which is better than what we have at ncs tbh. we dont even have school lunches and our cafeteria is extremely small. we also dont have a dedicated playground/sports area. at break and lunch we're basically forced to hang out in a parking lot. i remember before i joined, i asked the y12s (current y13s) and they also recommended choosing brampton. also, all students get a bursary there too, unlike ours. both schools are quite good but if i had the chance to go to brampton i think i would. although, maybe this is me thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

1) NCS and Brampton get roughly the same amount of oxbridge offers. If you read the results from last year, you would’ve seen that Brampton got less offers than NCS
2) why are you complaining about school lunches when there’s literally a high street opposite the school AND they give you Tesco lunch vouchers if you’re eligible for free school meals
3) no, the cafeteria is actually pretty large as it’s made up of two large halls pretty much
4) we’re not “forced” to do anything. It’s not a parking lot, it’s a free space in front of the schools main entrance, and for break, while it’s true that we stand outside, it’s only for 15 mins. At lunch most people just go outside and eat and walk around, or go to the cafeteria so it’s not a big deal.
5) literally 98% of year 12 got a bursary and the ones who didn’t were the ones who weren’t bothered enough to apply.
OP, don’t listen to this person they clearly have no idea what they’re talking about. Honestly, I don’t even think they go to the NCS :rolleyes:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Huzam001
1) NCS and Brampton get roughly the same amount of oxbridge offers. If you read the results from last year, you would’ve seen that Brampton got less offers than NCS
2) why are you complaining about school lunches when there’s literally a high street opposite the school AND they give you Tesco lunch vouchers if you’re eligible for free school meals
3) no, the cafeteria is actually pretty large as it’s made up of two large halls pretty much
4) we’re not “forced” to do anything. It’s not a parking lot, it’s a free space in front of the schools main entrance, and for break, while it’s true that we stand outside, it’s only for 15 mins. At lunch most people just go outside and eat and walk around, or go to the cafeteria so it’s not a big deal.
5) literally 98% of year 12 got a bursary and the ones who didn’t were the ones who weren’t bothered enough to apply.
OP, don’t listen to this person they clearly have no idea what they’re talking about. Honestly, I don’t even think they go to the NCS :rolleyes:

lord this is very conflicting isn't it
So would you recommend NCS ?
Original post by supernova444
lord this is very conflicting isn't it
So would you recommend NCS ?

If you’re willing to work hard and revise then absolutely. However, I will say that as far as I see, there is really no major difference in the standard of teaching between NCS and Brampton. Both have very good oxbridge acceptance rates and both are designed to push you as much as possible. I chose NCS simply because it was closer to me but I would go for whichever is more convenient for you!
If you’re willing to work hard and revise then absolutely. However, I will say that as far as I see, there is really no major difference in the standard of teaching between NCS and Brampton. Both have very good oxbridge acceptance rates and both are designed to push you as much as possible. I chose NCS simply because it was closer to me but I would go for whichever is more convenient for you!

Thank you so much!!! I think i will choose NCS because its closer to me too
Reply 9

If you don't mind, can you share what GCSE grades you got? It'll be a good indicator to know what I should be aiming for
Original post by ciao50276
If you don't mind, can you share what GCSE grades you got? It'll be a good indicator to know what I should be aiming for

Sure!
English language - 9
English literature - 8
Maths - 8
Statistics - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
History - 9
Computer science - 8
Religious education - 7
Spanish - 7
Further maths - 7
They only ask for your top 8 grades so you can just pick the ones you did the best in. I got a lot of 8s and 9s so I was one of the first people they called in to accept my offer, but I’m sure you’ll do great too!
Reply 11
I'm a current year 12 student at Brampton so if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to help :smile:
Original post by Eel88
I'm a current year 12 student at Brampton so if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

ooh I've got a couple questions
if you dont mind saying, what gcse results did you get?
also were you stuck on where to go, or was it always brampton top choice?
most important - do you personally recommend going brampton? (providing a student works hard gets good grades etc.)
Reply 13
Original post by supernova444
ooh I've got a couple questions
if you dont mind saying, what gcse results did you get?
also were you stuck on where to go, or was it always brampton top choice?
most important - do you personally recommend going brampton? (providing a student works hard gets good grades etc.)

Hey, so I got 9 9s, an 8 and an A at GCSEs - don't be worried about how high my grades are though, all it meant was that I was one of the first people to get invited to the school after results day to sign up, there are plenty of people I know who may have only achieved a couple 9s and 8s, 7s and 6s elsewhere. So long as you're getting 7s and above in the subject you want to do at A-Level and overall you're doing well across the board I don't see a reason why you'd be rejected.

As for the reason why I chose Brampton over the other sixth forms in the area was mainly due to how strict the sixth form is - that may put off some people but I liked how we have a structured, timetabled day, a specific uniform we have to wear and the fact that we aren't allowed to leave during break and lunch, I guess you could say that we are treated somewhat like secondary school students in that regard. This atmosphere drew me towards Brampton since it seemed to me that the school was much more focused on academics since they try and make everyone equal so that we can all achieve the best that we can.

I definitely would recommend Brampton, but more so if you're more academically minded because everyone at the sixth form recognises that we're there for two years so that we can get our A-Levels and go to uni, of course you can have fun there but ultimately you're there for the education and not to have a mess around for two years. Also, with everyone being so smart it does get competitive at times; you may have achieved an A in your exam and you'd be happy with that but you drag yourself down because someone else in your class got a few more marks than you, even if you might have both gotten the same grade. So long as you keep your head down and make good friends then you're set to be honest.
Original post by Eel88

Hi i live like a train ride (still in london though) from Brampton and am extremely conflicted if it would be worth it to go if i end up getting in. The schools in my area are not the greatest and there are like 2 which mostly everyone i know ends up in so im very confused? Would you say its worth the travel?
Thanks
Reply 15
what do you wear for induction day
Brampton have just sent a email to me saying as they are oversubscribed attendance on induction day is required to enrol, I thought enrolment was for everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending