The Student Room Group

When do people make good friends?

It's week three tomorrow and i'm meeting a few people and talking to them (i'm shy so it's hard for me to talk to people, but i am trying). A lot are really nice, but it's usually always small talk so they leave and move on to talk to someone else the next day.
Societies started last week and i went to three. One was okay, the other was completely silent and no one talked and the other was a party so it was impossible to talk, and everyone was drunk so it was meaningless talk.
I'm a little scared i won't be able to make friends. I know good friends takes time, but when i walk past loads of groups of people i start to panic.
Reply 1
it actually doesn't take as long as you'd think to make close friends, because you are all spending so much time together.

I met my best friend in the first week, a few weeks later we were inseparable and now we live together =)
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure you will make friends very soon. I find that after I speak to someone one to one, it makes me feel much more comfortable to talk to them again. Dunno if you are the same though. :smile:
I'm in a similar position to you at the moment, not sure who to stick with etc
Reply 4
Original post by Unununium
it actually doesn't take as long as you'd think to make close friends, because you are all spending so much time together.

I met my best friend in the first week, a few weeks later we were inseparable and now we live together =)

Exactly this! I was enjoying my music when my now best friend interrupted me to tag along with me. At first I was well annoyed and I thought she was going to be boring but now we're inseparable!

It usually takes time or sometimes it doesn't. Just put yourself out there :smile:
never?
Reply 6
Dont worry, just talk to people... Try and be brave and go up to people and introduce yourself :smile: Smile lots and look happy too - it helps!
It's a gradual thing - you meet people and become friends with them over a period of time - some faster, some slower. You're never going to make instant friends - acquaintances, yes, but actual friendship takes time to develop.

Carry on with the societies for a while - they can often be one of the most fulfilling experiences of your university career, but you can't tell what they're really going to be like when you've only been once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending