The Student Room Group

Durham medical school applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k1rby
I can't remember where I saw it now maybe it was for 2011 entry (or i dreamt it). Just checked and for 2012 entry they did seem to interview the highest first to begin with then the final cut off was 667.5.
Maybe they're being extra cautious this year because the UKCAT average went up like 10 points. I doubt they would have enough people with 695+ (unless everyone's applied wisely this year). I hope you get an interview!

(i know as much as anybody, so please no-one take my words as facts :tongue:)

True, that would be unprecedented! Interesting, lets hope it still has some way to drop.

695 and still not heard anything from them :frown:
Reply 182
I applied to Durham (through Newcastle with code D) I received 2 confirmation emails, one from each Uni. N then an interview offer today from newcastle university! But as far as I know I wasn't transferred to newcastle or anything. N I really want to go to durham. Similar case with anyone??
Reply 183
Original post by Zain777
I applied to Durham (through Newcastle with code D) I received 2 confirmation emails, one from each Uni. N then an interview offer today from newcastle university! But as far as I know I wasn't transferred to newcastle or anything. N I really want to go to durham. Similar case with anyone??

Maybe there's been a clerical error and you should definitely call up durham/newcastle as soon as possible :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by k1rby
Maybe there's been a clerical error and you should definitely call up durham/newcastle as soon as possible :smile:

Hey sorry didn't mean to dislike ur post. Pressed the button accidentally.
Yes I should call them tomorrow. Would u know if when they reallocate campuses, do they email saying 'your campus has been reallocated to...'
Reply 185
Original post by Zain777
Hey sorry didn't mean to dislike ur post. Pressed the button accidentally.
Yes I should call them tomorrow. Would u know if when they reallocate campuses, do they email saying 'your campus has been reallocated to...'

Some people have been reallocated from newcastle to durham but i don't think anyone has been changed from durham to newcastle :confused: plus, they were all informed of the change by email.. so you would have been told. :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by k1rby
Some people have been reallocated from newcastle to durham but i don't think anyone has been changed from durham to newcastle :confused: plus, they were all informed of the change by email.. so you would have been told. :smile:

Ah ok thank u :smile: (what if I'm being considered by both unis n both give me an offer? That would be amazing but possibly only possible in my dreams :P)
Reply 187
Original post by Zain777
Ah ok thank u :smile: (what if I'm being considered by both unis n both give me an offer? That would be amazing but possibly only possible in my dreams :P)

Unless you applied to both individually I think that would be extremely wishful thinking :wink:
Reply 188
Everyone else who received interview from durham received a phone call then?
Reply 189
Ahaha true! N I didn't apply to both; I was just kidding. There's no harm in dreaming in this dark world!
Reply 190
Original post by royallyrandom

Me neither 697.5 :s-smilie:
Original post by bertie6
Me neither 697.5 :s-smilie:

Original post by royallyrandom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the admissions office have announced the cut-off is currently 695, then you are guaranteed an interview if you have that score or above.

So I wouldn't worry about when they will get back to you, be happy that you are getting an interview! You could even start revising interview techniques now if you were really keen :smile:
Reply 192
I personally think it is very unreasonable to have such a high cut off score of 695. Anyone scoring 695 would put them in the top 85th percentile range (top 15%) and rejecting someone without considering other parts of their application cannot simply be justified. It's a shame that loads of bright candidates would have wasted their choice this year by applying to Newcastle.
Reply 193
Original post by singh12
I personally think it is very unreasonable to have such a high cut off score of 695. Anyone scoring 695 would put them in the top 85th percentile range (top 15%) and rejecting someone without considering other parts of their application cannot simply be justified. It's a shame that loads of bright candidates would have wasted their choice this year by applying to Newcastle.

I couldn't agree more, I personally think that medicine application should be subjected to a balanced scoring system to take into account all aspects, such as:

Academic qualifications 40%
Personal statement & reference 40%
UKCAT 20%
Reply 194
Original post by singh12

Newcastle were one of the universities who formulated the UKCAT test, and therefore have great confidence in using it to determine who gets invited to interview. It does when you think about it level the playing field for those who maybe don't have the highest academic marks & those who aren't able to arrange fantastical works experiences to put in their PS.
I agree its a very definitive way of picking those for interview, but if you have done your research before hand you would know that's how they use it. so if you were not happy about their admissions process in the first place then you should never have applied.
Reply 195
Medicine application is challenging, not least slecting the right medical school for your academics, PS and UKCAT score. Therefore a thorough research is mandatory before confirming your choices on UCAS application.
what do durham want in a 4th AS?
Reply 197
Original post by ChemClues
Newcastle were one of the universities who formulated the UKCAT test, and therefore have great confidence in using it to determine who gets invited to interview. It does when you think about it level the playing field for those who maybe don't have the highest academic marks & those who aren't able to arrange fantastical works experiences to put in their PS.
I agree its a very definitive way of picking those for interview, but if you have done your research before hand you would know that's how they use it. so if you were not happy about their admissions process in the first place then you should never have applied.

I'm sure that most of us have done our research before applying. However not many would have expected the cut-off to jump from 662.5 to 695. Also, using such a high cut-off to get rid of majority of the applicants is a
complete nonsense. This would discourage many strong applicant to even apply to this university from next year onwards.
Reply 198
Original post by MedMed12
what do durham want in a 4th AS?

nothing, even if u get a F/U, they just want the 3A prediction and thats their offer
Original post by slobo95
nothing, even if u get a F/U, they just want the 3A prediction and thats their offer

woo hooo! what about UKCAT and GCSES? if I need to reapply, then Durham it may be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending