The Student Room Group

Durham medical school applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ChemClues
page must have changed, here's the new link if you wanna look::redface:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti_23#incoming-330710

Thanks
Reply 101
Original post by Emmawinterson
Not to be negative but based on previous years- does anyone know when rejections might be sent out? Thanks :smile:

They are sent off sporadically from my experience!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 102
Original post by slobo95
its a fair distance, just under an hour (I've been planning uni on google maps haha) and there is a bus service from queen's campus to main durham (free to students) (Oh my god, who do I know so much about a uni I haven't even been given an interview for, at least if i get rejected, durham might employ me as a tour guide)

Haha you know your stuff! :P What do you (and everyone else) think of having to travel to Newcastle every day for lectures etc.. after the first 2 years? Considerable inconvenience or nothing to care about? (From what I understand after the first 2 years all med training is done at Newcastle)
Reply 103
Original post by NaimR
Haha you know your stuff! :P What do you (and everyone else) think of having to travel to Newcastle every day for lectures etc.. after the first 2 years? Considerable inconvenience or nothing to care about? (From what I understand after the first 2 years all med training is done at Newcastle)

Isn't after the two preclinical years at Durham, students move to Newcastle for their clinical training?
Reply 104
Original post by NaimR

First 2 years are indeed pre-clinical, and then students are integrated with Newcastle students from 3rd year onward. Also remember that from 3rd year at Newcastle you will be put on clinical placements which could be anywhere in the north-east, so you will inevitably be moving around a fair bit! Although yes based at Newcastle for final 3 years :smile:
Reply 105
Just got a response from Durham and have 2012 entry statistics for definite as:

Number of applicants: 475 home, 66 international
Rejected without interview: 254 home, 34 international
Offered interviews: 221 home, 32 international
Offered a place: 197 home, 19 international
Offered a place but turned down the offer: 57 home, 4 international
Offered a place but missed requirements: 16 home, 2 international
Failed to meet conditional but accepted anyway: 0

Chance of offer after interview: 89.1% for home applicants
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
First 2 years are indeed pre-clinical, and then students are integrated with Newcastle students from 3rd year onward. Also remember that from 3rd year at Newcastle you will be put on clinical placements which could be anywhere in the north-east, so you will inevitably be moving around a fair bit! Although yes based at Newcastle for final 3 years :smile:

Ah that's a fair point actually, never thought of it that way. I was wondering what everyone thought cause I wasnt thrilled by the fact that we'd have to go all the way to Newcastle for the remainding 3 years why cant they come to Durham instead :wink: tbh though I'd travel a thousand miles everyday if it meant I got a place at Durham... =D
Reply 107
Original post by NaimR
Ah that's a fair point actually, never thought of it that way. I was wondering what everyone thought cause I wasnt thrilled by the fact that we'd have to go all the way to Newcastle for the remainding 3 years why cant they come to Durham instead :wink: tbh though I'd travel a thousand miles everyday if it meant I got a place at Durham... =D

I wouldn't worry too much about moving around, trust me i have moved accommodation every year for the past 5 years and you just get used to it. :biggrin:
Reply 108
I wouldn't worry too much about moving around, trust me i have moved accommodation every year for the past 5 years and you just get used to it. :biggrin:

Really? Oh okay thats good cause I was slightly concerned about the potential disruption involved with having to move often
Reply 109
Original post by k1rby
Just got a response from Durham and have 2012 entry statistics for definite as:

Number of applicants: 475 home, 66 international
Rejected without interview: 254 home, 34 international
Offered interviews: 221 home, 32 international
Offered a place: 197 home, 19 international
Offered a place but turned down the offer: 57 home, 4 international
Offered a place but missed requirements: 16 home, 2 international
Failed to meet conditional but accepted anyway: 0

Chance of offer after interview: 89.1% for home applicants

Thanks for sharing this. Durham has to have one of the best interview/offer ratios!

Reply 110
Original post by NaimR

I thought you move entirely at live in Newcastle as Durham only offers the 2 year preclinical course, after that you are a Newcastle medic, correct me if I'm wrong anyone
Reply 111
Original post by slobo95
I thought you move entirely at live in Newcastle as Durham only offers the 2 year preclinical course, after that you are a Newcastle medic, correct me if I'm wrong anyone

Yeah you're right you'll finish at Newcastle and get your degree from Newcastle but if you chose to apply to Durham you'll be located at the Stockton Durham campus, you can choose to move to be closer to Newcastle after the first year ofcourse
Durham medical school is run in partnership with newcastle, everyone who studies medicine at durham will graduate with a MBBS from newcastle

The first two years (Phase I) are delivered at queens campus stockton (durham uni)

The final three years (Phase II) are delivered via newcastle medical school HOWEVER newcastle is a regional medical school meaning you could be based in 1 of 4 clinical base units in both years 3 and 5. These CBUs cover all of the north east of england so you can expect to live outside of newcastle for a period of time e.g. middlesbrough

Heres a map of the 4 clinical base units: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/facilities/baseunits/map/index.htm
Reply 113
Hi guys... I phoned up Durham admissions last week about the UKCAT cut off and they told me that they are having a meeting today to discuss what score to have as a final cut off and whether it will go below 700. Helen told me to call back tomorrow to find out.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to call until early next week ... so is anyone on here able to call and let us know what she says please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by ag2012
Hi guys... I phoned up Durham admissions last week about the UKCAT cut off and they told me that they are having a meeting today to discuss what score to have as a final cut off and whether it will go below 700. Helen told me to call back tomorrow to find out.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to call until early next week ... so is anyone on here able to call and let us know what she says please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it would be extremely unfortunate for me if the cut off is 700 with a UKCAT of 699.5!
Oh well- all the best to everyone :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by ag2012

Posted from TSR Mobile

So tomorrows the day we all find out then...! Good luck everyone :smile:

Reply 116
Really hope they lower the score below 700, i'd feel really cheated if it stayed above that. Considering very other years cut-off has been significantly below that! :s-smilie:
Reply 117
Have a ukcat of 712.5 and still haven't heard anything from them :frown:
Reply 118
Really hope they lower the score below 700, i'd feel really cheated if it stayed above that. Considering very other years cut-off has been significantly below that! :s-smilie:

I hope it goes around the same as last year - they told me it's unlikely to change much

Knowing my luck though, they will probably have it slightly higher than my score... when I applied to Sheffield a couple of years ago they had a cut-off of 690 or similar and said it's likely to remain around that so I applied. The cut off went up to 715 and I missed it by 2.5 marks. The following year 2012 entry, they changed the way they use the UKCAT and some people with score of 640 were accepted. Just my luck!
Reply 119

True ^^ especially since the UKCAT cut-off have stayed constant at 667.5 for the last two years they surely can't justify raising it all the way up to 700 :s-smilie: We're at the mercy of Helen and her crew now! Ahhhhh :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending