The Student Room Group

Is University worth it?

I am in my first term of University and really starting to question the validity and point of what I am doing here.

First of all, most people who do graduate do NOT end up with the job they wanted. What is the point of spending 3 years (or however long it may be), on a course that may not provide you with the career and therefore the future that you want? Doesn't that sound like a big risk to you? Spending 3+ years of your life studying (getting yourself into thousands of pound of debt) when you could have been earning sounds quite a ridiculous idea.

Secondly, there are many other options an individual can choose from as opposed to University, which in a lot of cases, can provide you with a more reliable and stable job in the future, i.e. Apprenticeships.

It's just the thought of leaving University in 3 years' time, with a massive debt margin, wondering how the hell I am going to pay it all back.

So, is it worth it?
Reply 1
It depends on your degree, if you do a vocational course such as medicine, accountancy, engineering etc then I'd say it's worth it. If you're doing a degree in the history of fine arts or sociology for example, then not so much; in my opinion.
Reply 2
Why are you asking the question now when you are already at uni ? Should have thought about it before you started. People go to uni. to study a subject they are interested in.

University is a training ground for independent learning and self discipline. Graduate trainers from my firm did different courses, achieveing of min. of 2:1 was the only common ground.

At least we are given the opportunity to get a loan to further our education. I won't be where I am without my first degree.
Reply 3
Really depends on the degree you're doing, if you enjoy it and the standard of the university. If any of these factors are weak, then it does start to compromise the value of the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending