The Student Room Group

Problems with flatmates

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uncertainty
That would be a good suggestion only the area I'm in (Fallowfields if you've heard of it) is very loud and now that my course has started off at quite a pace I'm finding it difficult to get enough sleep (they start making serious noise from about 12) and I'm worried that I won't be able to cope on this course if I don't get enough sleep. I'm doing maths by the way, so in my books sleep is essential :colondollar:

Ahh I haven't heard of it, but that sounds annoying! You ever tried earplugs? My Mum swears by them, although the ones that really work sometimes stop you from hearing your alarm in the morning, which isn't great! But would the noise stop you from being able to move flats? Suppose if it's noisy in one place, it's likely to be noisy everywhere x
Reply 21
You sound like such a nice person, I'm sorry your flatmates are cretins. I'm wondering what uni you are at? Ox? LSE?

Things got so bad for a friend of mine a year or so back, she left her flat and moved back home (she was near her uni), although she had to find someone to sell it to, so she was lucky in that respect. Perhaps you could do that?

I was kind of worried about the things you mentioned before I came to uni, but I feel fortunate because my housemates are all really nice and are all considerate, where as the house next door...I'm hearing some horror stories!

Maybe you could contact student welfare? or the nightline? or you supervisor? And ask for help?

Best wishes, I hope things get sorted soon for you.
Reply 22
Original post by Eboracum
You sound like such a nice person, I'm sorry your flatmates are cretins. I'm wondering what uni you are at? Ox? LSE?

Things got so bad for a friend of mine a year or so back, she left her flat and moved back home (she was near her uni), although she had to find someone to sell it to, so she was lucky in that respect. Perhaps you could do that?

I was kind of worried about the things you mentioned before I came to uni, but I feel fortunate because my housemates are all really nice and are all considerate, where as the house next door...I'm hearing some horror stories!

Maybe you could contact student welfare? or the nightline? or you supervisor? And ask for help?

Best wishes, I hope things get sorted soon for you.

Aww thanks. I've got a meeting with my tutor on tuesday so hopfully i can escape! It's such a pain having to deal with this in the middle of a term but i know i'll be happier somewhere else
I don't understand why people are so inconsiderate,why not make it pleasant for everybody?
Reply 23
Aww thanks. I've got a meeting with my tutor on tuesday so hopfully i can escape! It's such a pain having to deal with this in the middle of a term but i know i'll be happier somewhere else
I don't understand why people are so inconsiderate,why not make it pleasant for everybody?

Fallowfields...you at the University of Oxford right? I am surprised your flatmates are like this, they were not the type of students I met when I visited the university.

Yes talk to your tutor. If it is effecting your ability to study then your tutor must step in.

Inconsiderate people are the worst kind in our society. And I know what you mean when you say it's tough to confront them...because they are your housemates and you don't want to have a row!

If you're not happy sort it early. Best of luck.
Reply 24
Original post by Eboracum
Fallowfields...you at the University of Oxford right? I am surprised your flatmates are like this, they were not the type of students I met when I visited the university.

Yes talk to your tutor. If it is effecting your ability to study then your tutor must step in.

Inconsiderate people are the worst kind in our society. And I know what you mean when you say it's tough to confront them...because they are your housemates and you don't want to have a row!

If you're not happy sort it early. Best of luck.

Nah i'm manchester doing maths. It's funny, i'm really enjoying the course and the people in my course it's just a pity about my flat :smile:
Reply 25
Nah i'm manchester doing maths. It's funny, i'm really enjoying the course and the people in my course it's just a pity about my flat :smile:

My parents went to Manchester, they loved it. Although that was years ago. Not too far away, I am here at York doing Politics.

Well that's great that you're enjoying your course, at least that is something. Hopefully you will get it sorted soon. I have a friend here at York who is in exactly the same position as you, she hates her flatmates, they sometimes bang on her door late at night! I told her to contact student welfare.
Yes Manchester Maths! Flatmates sound horrible, i'd definitely talk to the student welfare people. Preferably to move from Fallowfield too, its a dump and too far away from 9 o'clock lectures on a Monday morning....
Reply 27
Has anybody got experience with being released from a uni contract?

Yeah, they don't release you unless you have someone to move into your room and pay the rent or they release people on (very rare) medical grounds.

I left my uni halls last year about this time actually after about 4/5 weeks there because it was absolute rubbish, it seemed that the rest of the flat bonded with each other and dispite my best efforts they decided to leave me out of everything, one of them would even invite the rest of the flat to his room next to mine and watch some comedy thing and would proceed to do the fakest laugh at the top of his lungs and bang on the wall. then one time knocked on my door i opened and he barged straight past me looked around my room then asked if he could have my beer in the fridge.

So i just thought **** it and moved back home (within comuting distance from my uni thankfully) had to keep paying the rent but im glad i moved back home.
Reply 28
Original post by QuasiHickory
Yes Manchester Maths! Flatmates sound horrible, i'd definitely talk to the student welfare people. Preferably to move from Fallowfield too, its a dump and too far away from 9 o'clock lectures on a Monday morning....

Hmm... I wonder if I've seen you in the lectures??? I guess it's a bad idea to ask who you are, public forum and that :colondollar: I'm the annoying one who attempts to answer the questions no matter how badly :biggrin:
Original post by Luxray
Love your signature. I miss Daria.

Thanks! So do I :moon:
I'm a first year undergraduate, first time away from home, first time living with strangers.
I've been in university for the past month and am having problems with my flatmates.
If I leave any juice, milk or butter in the fridge it will invariably get used and very obviously so. I've lost 2 litres of juice and 2 pints of milk. I'm quite shy and find confrontation difficult so I think I might have left it too long.
Also, there is one girl who likes to, for want of a better phrase, tell me off. Once I came into the kitchen and found her muddy converses soaking in our communal sink and I quietly said that it was a little gross and she just told me off, telling me that it was just my OCD (which I don't have and I consider a serious illness so didn't take that choice of phrase lightly) and that I should just accept how other people live or else it would get really annoying for the rest of the year. She also told me that I was wrong for asking a flatmate to clean up his unwashed pots and pans that had been fermenting for well over a week and that I should not be so mean to him.
I guess these problems seem very petty to a lot of you, but I find it very unpleasant. I am afraid to bring up my problems with my flatmates because they could easily turn vindictive if I criticise them, not matter how tactfully I do it.
Is there any advice you wise tsrians could offer, I'm seriously considering leaving halls and going into private accommodation. Especially seeing as my room is tiny! Sorry for having a rant but I just needed to get everything out there Other than that my course is wonderful :colondollar:

Generally speaking you will find that all halls accommodations are vile. I am a mature student and I was in halls for about a year. I thought our flat (about 14 of us) was disgusting but the cleaners who came around (quite often) said that our flat was not one of the worst. If there were worse flats than our's then I can only imagine what they could have been like!

You may find that privately rented accommodation may be just as bad if it is a shared house geared towards students. If you are referring to actual private accommodation (as in your own flat) then I suppose that would be different. I would imagine that it would be a tad expensive though. If the average student could afford that then I think they would all be doing it but generally speaking they can't.

It is very bad that people are stealing your food by the way. Theft under any circumstances is intolerable and that should be sorted out. I don't remember anything of mine being taken intentionally and if it did then I would have made sure that the one responsible was brought to justice. You will probably find that it is one person. They need to be evicted asap because it is plain and simple theft.

Make no bones about it... people being untidy and dirty is extremely annoying but is to be expected. Theft is a different matter altogether and should not be tolerated under any circumstances.

I live in a private rented shared student house now. Personally I have just grown used to messy people. I just make sure that I do not add to it. If the majority of the household is clean and one or two are making it messy then you could probably discipline the dirty ones. I would imagine that most of the time it is a waste of time trying to get dirty housemates to be civilized though.

I have been in a LOT of shared houses and they have all been different. There are no hard and fast rule's (except that theft is intolerable). If you believe that you can handle the aftermath of pointing out to people that they are being disgusting then by all means try it. Experience has shown me that it is mostly a matter of chance when it comes to moving into a new shared house.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by theconsciousindian
piss in an empty apple juice bottle, seal, place in fridge and sit back and wait.

lmao hahahaha
Reply 32
You're not over exaggerating or anything, their behaviour is immature and you sound like you deserve some decent flatmates! I hope it all works out for you :smile:
if i get into uni, i won't be living with flatmates if i can help it.

if i go get in and have to, i sincerely hope their not stoned party clubbing type hipsters

yolo
Dirty shoes in the communal sink :| I'm sorry but is she dirty? Who does that!?!

Have you written your name on your food/drinks? May be a start, they might realise it actually belongs to someone and its not just for anyone to take! I'd hide behind the door and try catch someone hahahaha

At my bfs place they caught one of their flatmates stealing out of a fridge on the outside of someones room, needless to say they confronted him straight away and didn't see him much after that. They also had a cleaning rota so it didn't get too messy but tbh I can't see these inconsiderate people agreeing to that.

Don't get walked over! Stick up for yourself when she tells you off. If she knows you let her she'll carry on, I would def mention dirty shoes in a sink!!!
Reply 35
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do. I've spoken to my academic/personal tutor and he's advised me to go into private accommodation so I'm currently having a bit of a look around. I find it very difficult to confront people when they're being bastards because I live so close to them and I am not known for my tact :colondollar: Oh well, it'll all be sorted soon and I can get on with my degree :smile:
Best way is just to be cool imo... Try and set up a communal system for milk. As for the lack of cleaning up, clean your own stuff and don't bother about everyone else.
Reply 37
Hey guys, thought I might just let you know, I moved out of the accommodation into a room in a big house owned by an old couple. It's lovely here. I couldn't hope for better. If any of you guys are having a bad time in accommodation don't just stay there. I moved and I'm much happier. Cheers x
Hey guys, thought I might just let you know, I moved out of the accommodation into a room in a big house owned by an old couple. It's lovely here. I couldn't hope for better. If any of you guys are having a bad time in accommodation don't just stay there. I moved and I'm much happier. Cheers x

Aww, I've only just seen this thread but you seem like a pleasant person who deserves better so I'm really glad that it's worked out for you. :smile:
Hi, I'm having problems with my flatmates at the minute. They're very messy and I went on a trip for 3 days and came back and they'd used all my pots and pans and the rest of my kitchen stuff so I've had to take it all out of the kitchen and put it in my room. Luckily they don't eat any of my food although when I got back yesterday from christmas I've noticed quite a lot of my food in the freezer is gone and some in my cupboards (they've even broken my frozen breaded chicken breasts in half and thrown them back in the freezer). Tbh I did put a few rants on facebook about it before christmas cos I didn't feel like I could confront them just like you which is probably why they've tried to get their "revenge" so it's probably my own fault :/ I'm so pleased you've managed to move somewhere where you're happy now, do you think I'll be able to do the same if I go to the accommodation people and explain? I can't take it any longer it's making me ill and I can't concentrate on work, I'm always crying...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending