The Student Room Group

is it okay to live in hall after second year??

So I am coming into my final (fourth) year of uni now and I will be living in student accommodation after having had issues finding a private landlord. I am 22 and have been told the flatmates that I will be with are all 19/20. Is that okay? Like they're most likely either first-year or second-year but I'm wondering if as a final year, it is okay to be living in a student accom? I know realistically that 2 years is really not that much of a difference but I also feel like maybe they'll be uncomfortable.
Reply 1
Like I know we're all students so it should be fine but maybe i just feel uncomfortable knowing ill be the oldest in the flat and have not experienced that before
Original post by Anonymous
So I am coming into my final (fourth) year of uni now and I will be living in student accommodation after having had issues finding a private landlord. I am 22 and have been told the flatmates that I will be with are all 19/20. Is that okay? Like they're most likely either first-year or second-year but I'm wondering if as a final year, it is okay to be living in a student accom? I know realistically that 2 years is really not that much of a difference but I also feel like maybe they'll be uncomfortable.

Hi,
I am sorry to hear that you are concerned about this. I would try not to worry as there will likely be others that are older as well and most students will be keen to make new friends. They might enjoy having someone in their flat too that has experienced part of university already.

I hope this helps you,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous

Hey there!
I'm currently in second year and still living in student halls due to not getting on with my flatmates in first year. All of my flatmates are in final year apart from one who's in first year but she's 23. Therefore, I'm the youngest of the flat. I honestly don't even notice to be honest, you'd think the age difference would mean we had nothing in common but there's always stuff to talk about and our age difference has never been brought up. Obviously playing devil's advocate here, if you're living with first years there will be a high likelihood they'll want to be going out all the time and getting the first year experience. If you're fine with this then I really don't see age being a big problem for you. Logistically, student accommodation's let any aged student stay there as long as they're enrolled at a university and can prove this. So in terms of whether you're allowed, of course you are. If you book student accommodation privately then you can usually see what year the people who have already booked the flat are in. I would try and book a flat that has second and final years in if I were you just purely for the fact that first years want to get the going-out experience out of the way and if this doesn't interest you then that's the only reason I could see you all not getting on.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 4
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!
I'm currently in second year and still living in student halls due to not getting on with my flatmates in first year. All of my flatmates are in final year apart from one who's in first year but she's 23. Therefore, I'm the youngest of the flat. I honestly don't even notice to be honest, you'd think the age difference would mean we had nothing in common but there's always stuff to talk about and our age difference has never been brought up. Obviously playing devil's advocate here, if you're living with first years there will be a high likelihood they'll want to be going out all the time and getting the first year experience. If you're fine with this then I really don't see age being a big problem for you. Logistically, student accommodation's let any aged student stay there as long as they're enrolled at a university and can prove this. So in terms of whether you're allowed, of course you are. If you book student accommodation privately then you can usually see what year the people who have already booked the flat are in. I would try and book a flat that has second and final years in if I were you just purely for the fact that first years want to get the going-out experience out of the way and if this doesn't interest you then that's the only reason I could see you all not getting on.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

I do think there is one third year in the flat and the other two are most likely second year, i wasn't told the year but the just the ages so I think we are all returning students so hopefully its gonna be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending