The Student Room Group

Why are most gay men so feminine

Yes this is a generalization I know there are allot of gay men who aren't camp and of course the opposite you get a few camp men who are straight but there is no denying that a high proportion of gay men are camp to varying degrees. I believe that people are born gay or straight (or Bi of course) but what about this campness is this a choice or are many gay men born like this aswell. Do many gay men put this on because that's how society tells them to act just look at gay men in the media (i.e Graham Norton, Louis Spence, Scott Mills, Alan Carr, Gok Wan, Paul O'Grady) they all are camp to varying degrees or look at reality TV like that freak on the X Factor Rylan or the year before Johnny or whatever his name was same with others shows like Big Brother or Shipwrecked they all usually have a token camp gay guy in it. But then you get people like Stephen Fry who I didn't even know was gay until a few months ago and I know a gay guy who is not camp at all I didn't know he was gay until someone told me

Like take football or sport in general for example very few sports stars have come out yes you could say that's because they are afraid of ridicule but in this day and age it wouldn't be much of a big deal and gay men in general tend to favor more feminine activities i.e dancing fashion etc.. there is no denying that.

So the question is are most gay men born that way or are they just acting the way society tells them to or raises them to behave.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Perhaps you're simply more aware of camp men being gay?
Why are so many lesbians manly?
Reply 3
Their estrogen levels are through the roof.
Reply 4
Original post by Harry Callahan
Why are so many lesbians manly?

While it's true that many Lesbians are manly not the the extent of camp gay men again just a generalization but it seems to be the more attractive the lesbian the less manly they act if they aren't as good looking they seem to be less feminine. So again it looks like they could just be acting the way society tells them to most Lesbians in the media or any that I have met seem to act not much differently to straight women which is in stark contrast to most gay men I have met or seen in the media.
Original post by Shabalala
While it's true that many Lesbians are manly not the the extent of camp gay men again just a generalization but it seems to be the more attractive the lesbian the less manly they act if they aren't as good looking they seem to be less feminine. So again it looks like they could just be acting the way society tells them to most Lesbians in the media or any that I have met seem to act not much differently to straight women which is in stark contrast to most gay men I have met or seen in the media.

Not being funny, but can't you use some commas occasionally? It's quite hard to read what you're saying. I get what you mean, though.
'most'gay men are not. Please stop generalizing gay people.

The gay guys who allude to are more likely spotted because of their femininity. Their are many, many straight acting gay guys. You don't, however, know they are gay because they are straight acting.
Reply 7
That's a pretty hart generalisation, seeing as 1 in 10 people are statistically gay, count how many people are in your class and count how many people are statistically gay and subtract all people who sound/act camp. You would probably have a few left. Also, the people who you probably think are gay are equally likely straight if they haven't came out - think about metrosexuals, not gay but embrace their femininity
Reply 8
Original post by Bluffroom
That's a pretty hart generalisation, seeing as 1 in 10 people are statistically gay, count how many people are in your class and count how many people are statistically gay and subtract all people who sound/act camp. You would probably have a few left.

Citation needed.
Reply 9
This is so true. You can easily tell if a guy is gay. You shouldn't be able to because that's like being able to tell if a guy likes black girls or something. Why is this information made public through their actions? Maybe excess estrogen makes you gay hence the femininity?
Reply 10
Original post by Mad Vlad
Citation needed.

Are you gay?
Maybe most gay men aren't feminine, maybe you just notice the feminine gay men more.
For example if you started chatting to a man for example a customer, and he was very feminine then you'd know that he was gay. But for all you know you might encounter lots of gay men in your day to day life but you just can't tell that they're gay, you just assume they are straight.
Reply 12
Cos they are Gay or is that ghey?
Reply 13
the way I look at it, is that they're a woman trapped inside a man's body
Original post by Mad Vlad
Citation needed.

"The most widely accepted statistic is that 1 in ever 10 individuals is LGBT; however some research estimates 1 in 20."
http://gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm

Was too general by saying just gay, but statistics are just statistics, they aren't backed up and who really cares apart from homophobic people who want to smash the number down?
Reply 15
Sorry to burst your buble there but, most homosexual men aren't camp. Just because you notice most camp men being gay doesn't mean all camp men are gay, nor all gay men are camp. Would you be able to tell a gay man if he was "acting normall"? Nah, so you can't say most gay men are camp. Like you said it's generalization, it gets you nowhere friend.
Reply 16
I think that some forms of campness are quite harmless, but some are not. Some gay men who are camp can be very nasty and bitchy. This is the Diva type of campness. Some are just a bit limp wristed, soft-voiced, or have refined mannerisms.

It cannot be worse that those anti-social lout beer-swilling heterosexuals!
Reply 17
Original post by ipoop
Sorry to burst your buble there but, most homosexual men aren't camp. Just because you notice most camp men being gay doesn't mean all camp men are gay, nor all gay men are camp. Would you be able to tell a gay man if he was "acting normall"? Nah, so you can't say most gay men are camp. Like you said it's generalization, it gets you nowhere friend.

Gaydar does work though, I reckon I can tell normally if someone is gay.
Reply 18
Original post by Shabalala
Yes this is a generalization I know there are allot of gay men who aren't camp and of course the opposite you get a few camp men who are straight but there is no denying that a high proportion of gay men are camp to varying degrees. I believe that people are born gay or straight (or Bi of course) but what about this campness is this a choice or are many gay men born like this aswell. Do many gay men put this on because that's how society tells them to act just look at gay men in the media (i.e Graham Norton, Louis Spence, Scott Mills, Alan Carr, Gok Wan, Paul O'Grady) they all are camp to varying degrees or look at reality TV like that freak on the X Factor Rylan or the year before Johnny or whatever his name was same with others shows like Big Brother or Shipwrecked they all usually have a token camp gay guy in it. But then you get people like Stephen Fry who I didn't even know was gay until a few months ago and I know a gay guy who is not camp at all I didn't know he was gay until someone told me

Like take football or sport in general for example very few sports stars have come out yes you could say that's because they are afraid of ridicule but in this day and age it wouldn't be much of a big deal and gay men in general tend to favor more feminine activities i.e dancing fashion etc.. there is no denying that.

So the question is are most gay men born that way or are they just acting the way society tells them to or raises them to behave.

It's most likely a function of the majority of gay guys not conforming to the stereotype. I wouldn't consider myself "straight acting" as I'm not pretending to be anything. I'm not the most stylish person ever and I hate cheesy Pop music and dancing. I don't sound very camp either. I'm just a normal person that happens to be openly gay.

You're probably living, studying, working with people that you don't realise are LGBT.
Reply 19
Original post by Bluffroom
"The most widely accepted statistic is that 1 in ever 10 individuals is LGBT; however some research estimates 1 in 20."
http://gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm

Was too general by saying just gay, but statistics are just statistics, they aren't backed up and who really cares apart from homophobic people who want to smash the number down?

10% is awfully high. 3-6% is probably more realistic. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11398629

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending