The Student Room Group

Tuition Fees in Scotland - bit of a unique situation

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a unique situation so have been getting very confused reading on various websites.
I was born in the UK and have a UK passport and lived there until I was 8 when I moved to New Zealand with my family. I have since moved back and have been living in Germany. When the time comes to apply for university I will have been resident in the EU for 3 years - not in the UK for any of this time.

I would like to go to university in Edinburgh so basically my question is whether or not I would apply to attend university in Scotland tuition-free?

Thanks for all your help!
Reply 1
Original post by BethJay
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a unique situation so have been getting very confused reading on various websites.
I was born in the UK and have a UK passport and lived there until I was 8 when I moved to New Zealand with my family. I have since moved back and have been living in Germany. When the time comes to apply for university I will have been resident in the EU for 3 years - not in the UK for any of this time.

I would like to go to university in Edinburgh so basically my question is whether or not I would apply to attend university in Scotland tuition-free?

Hast du Deutsch Staatsbügerschaft? Wenn nicht, dann musst du bezahlen.
Reply 2
In this situation, you are likely to be better off than most English students applying for Scottish Unis - which is what makes the current position with fees so utterly ludicrous.
Reply 3
Original post by BethJay
Hi everyone,

as you haven't been resident in the UK for the last three years you should apply to SAAS who will pay for your tuition fees however you will not be entitled to a maintainance loan. If you can prove you moved away from the UK temporarily due to a parents work contract for example then you can get a maintainance loan from SFE but you will have to take out a loan for tuition fees.
Reply 4
You will get tution fees at EU/Scottish student prices (roughly 1800 per year), not tution free as you haven't been resident in Scotland for 3 or more years. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending