The Student Room Group

What university for maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeneralOJB
And what University is he at? Presumably not Cambridge..

Original post by TheMagicMan
I mean a guy in my college at Cambridge...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

BOOM, apply cold water to the burn.
that's quite unusual tough, as gcse and a-levels are a joke if you are good at maths.

maybe it was just a bad exam, which can happen to everyone.
Reply 22
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
What grades do you expect to get in your Maths and Further Maths ALevels? I'd say that the option is wide for you right now, depending on how you perform at AS. Also there are many combined courses in Maths that you can do including Mathematics & ComputerScience, Mathematics and Physics, Financial Mathematics, Mathematics with French(or any other language), Mathematics & Economics and my personal favourite is Mathematical Biology which is offered by the University of Dundee. Went to their lecture talk on the open day :smile: brilliant!!!

Top unis for Maths include:

Oxbridge
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
York
Loughborough
Edinburgh
Surrey
Newcastle
Exeter
And....Durham

Also other good unis that could account for useful back-up choices include: Sheffield, Kent, Heriot Watt, Dundee :biggrin: , UEA, Liverpool, Reading etc.

Thanksss:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I mean a guy in my college at Cambridge...

He could've got in through the back door.

I know people on graduate training schemes at top investment banks who attended ex-polys.
Original post by JoeFo
Thanksss:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It happens to be particularly difficult to get in the back door for cambridge maths because of STEP...
It happens to be particularly difficult to get in the back door for cambridge maths because of STEP...

Maybe back door to get an interview in the first place.

Under "normal" circumstances, why would that candidate with a C at GCSE be interviewed when others probably have A*, possibly even taken GCSE maths a year or more early and also got Additional Maths A as well?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by smileatyourself
Maybe back door to get an interview in the first place.

Under "normal" circumstances, why would that candidate with a C at GCSE be interviewed when others probably have A*, possibly even taken GCSE maths a year or more early and also got Additional Maths A as well?

Strong as's? Some kind of other achievement? Maths admissions tend to be unusual in that they will interview and indeed give an offer to anyone who shows any signs of potential, as they have STEP to even out the numbers...

Strong as's? Some kind of other achievement? Maths admissions tend to be unusual in that they will interview and indeed give an offer to anyone who shows any signs of potential, as they have STEP to even out the numbers...

I assume you meant strong AS Levels?

I honestly doubt that is the case simply because everyone who applies for maths at COWI would have A grades and nothing else so I don't think they'd invite him / her based on academic grades.

It could be extra curricular activities, eg Olympic Gold Medal Rower, World Chess Champion, etc.

I honestly doubt that is the case simply because everyone who applies for maths at COWI would have A grades and nothing else so I don't think they'd invite him / her based on academic grades.

It could be extra curricular activities, eg Olympic Gold Medal Rower, World Chess Champion, etc.

If he/she had above 90% AS grades in maths and further maths, he would be invited for interview without question. All A's would probably still do it. Cambridge isn't as crazy elite as you seem to think ...

I don't get where you're coming from...you don't need that fantastic grades to get an interview...ECs are irrelevant...

Reply 30
I thought it was well known through out the world cambridge is THE place of math and Science
Reply 31
I thought it was well known through out the world cambridge and oxford is THE place of math and Science
Reply 32
Think a lot of people are confused about The difference between high gcse's being correlated with oxbridge offers and high gcse's causing oxbridge offers tbh.

But in general, if you're doing gcse's, do your best and try get a good mark.
Reply 33
Original post by alnewone
I thought it was well known through out the world cambridge and oxford is THE place of math and Science

Depends what you want.

Cambridge has the hardest offer for maths and therefore its course is probably the toughest, which is great for academia but possibly not if you intend to venture out in the real world.

This is particularly true for engineering where Imperial's grads have a higher employment rate, probably due to its strong links with industry.
Reply 34

I'm curious - your friend with the C - what else did he do / get? (I know of a few with an A rather than A* in GCSE Maths, but not a C :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest