The Student Room Group

Anyone fed up of studying and thought about taking it easy

I'm feeling like I'm wasting all my life studying and I just want to go out and live my life I want to forget about all the meaningless maths and science and do what i'm interested in and apply my knowledge to something that is practical.

I'm not like a lot of the people on here who have a passion for what they're applying to do like the sociologist in deep debates about controversial subjects and civil engineers talking about famous structures etc. I do however admire their passion and want to find a passion that I have whithin a course
The only things I'm interested in are:

birds (i'm NOT talking tweety birds btw)

motorbikes

bodybuilding

rugby

drinking

football

In terms of work I like:

problem solving

something that can be applied to real life and visualised e.g. PE talking about different types of training or sociologists debating about political issues or accountants discussing how to run a business unlike chemistry going on about things on a microscopic level or physicists going about nuclear **** which and things that actually have no understanding behind it and is just pure memory work like feynman diagrams and baryons and mesons

I'm not to sure about general practical work but I really hate scientific practicals with graphs and logs and errors :angry:

So i'm stuck I have no idea what to do. I'm currently doing maths, physics and chemistry and I want to do something that I feel will engage me but I have no idea which degree will push my buttons.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Think i put the wrong title I don't mean to take things easy but i just want to find an engaging and exciting career that suits me
well go for it

lying as an old man, regardless of how much wealth you have, would you regret not doing what you currently want to do? if the answer is yes then finish this course then do something else or drop this course and study sport then become a self employed fitness instructor or something.
How about a Sports Science degree?
This draws from lots of differing fields that involves practical experiments! From what you say you are passionate in you clearly are a very sporty person and maybe with this degree you can apply the things you learnt in a hall to the playing field. Therefore it suits right into the need for real-life as all pro and semi pro sportsmen or women require trainers and advisers to continue their progression.
Reply 4
Yh but the thing is I've heard that sport science is a pretty useless degree :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by SDavis123
Yh but the thing is I've heard that sport science is a pretty useless degree :/

Perhaps a joint honours then?

At my Uni (Lboro, so maybe slightly different re: sport to most unis, admittedly), they offer joint honours Sports Science with;

Geography

Chemistry

Physics

Mathematics

English

Sports Management

Or, you could do single honours Sports Science with Management.

Though if you're still unsure, have you thought about taking a gap year and applying next year instead? It'll allow you more time to make up your mind (instead of potentially paying £9k for a year in a course that you'll drop out of), as well as earn some savings for when you do get in... :smile:
Reply 6
Yh I am going to take a gap year because I've only got like a month to apply and to choose something so quickly which is going affect me for the rest of life is stupid really

Reply 7
Yh I am going to take a gap year because I've only got like a month to apply and to choose something so quickly which is going affect me for the rest of life is stupid really

Tbh, leaving it until this late to start thinking about it is what is stupid here, not the fact that there is a deadline.

Besides, you have two and a half months. While I do think that a gap year seems right for you (from what you've said), you've still got enough time to make a decision and apply this year. Why not try going down to a few local universities (or even further afield) and seeing what their courses/campuses/facilities are like. If you like what you see, you still have time to apply this year. If not, you're ahead of the game for next year and have longer to consider your options and to ensure that you will be ready when that time comes.
Reply 8

unlike chemistry going on about things on a microscopic level or physicists going about nuclear sh*t which and things that actually have no understanding behind it and is just pure memory work like feynman diagrams and baryons and mesons.

[video="youtube;ZbFM3rn4ldo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbFM3rn4ldo[/video]
Reply 9
the grass is always greener...
Have you thought about Engineering of some sort?

It's practical, considered a very good degree and fits with your a levels, while avoiding anything too theoretical.

I don't know much about it though, so don't take my word on it...
Think i put the wrong title I don't mean to take things easy but i just want to find an engaging and exciting career that suits me

Why not do this when you have finished studying?

If you completed your qualifications you will have a better chance of gettingthe job you want, more likely to be better paid, and therefore have a better life due to being able to afford the things you like, like motorbikes etc.

I vounteer in a hospice and most of the old guys talk about their regrets. A lot say they wish they had lived more, but none of them say they wish they had studied less! Get the studying out they way, and it will enable you to live more later.
Reply 12
[QUOTEuu]Why not do this when you have finished studying?

If you coumpleted your qualifications you will have a better chance of gettingthe job you want, more likely to be better paid, and therefore have a better life due to being able to afford the things you like, like motorbikes etc.

I vounteer in a hospice and most of the old guys talk about their regrets. A lot say they wish they had lived more, but none of them say they wish they had studied less! Get the studying out they way, and it will enable you to live more later.
Have you tried the UCAS questionnaire where it tries to find a degree which suits you. It's completely free and you could start your research from there.
Reply 13
Original post by Xenite
Tbh, leaving it until this late to start thinking about it is what is stupid here, not the fact that there is a deadline.

Besides, you have two and a half months. While I do think that a gap year seems right for you (from what you've said), you've still got enough time to make a decision and apply this year. Why not try going down to a few local universities (or even further afield) and seeing what their courses/campuses/facilities are like. If you like what you see, you still have time to apply this year. If not, you're ahead of the game for next year and have longer to consider your options and to ensure that you will be ready when that time comes.

I haven't left it late really because I was thinking of chemical engineering but its just as I researched more and more into it I keep thinking more and more that it's not for me

Unfortunatley I can't attend open days as I live on the Costa del sol in spain :/
Reply 14
Original post by zoe_bartlett
Why not do this when you have finished studying?

If you completed your qualifications you will have a better chance of gettingthe job you want, more likely to be better paid, and therefore have a better life due to being able to afford the things you like, like motorbikes etc.

yh i meant i want to study for an exciting and engaging career and I don't want to do a career for the money which is why I'm changing from chemical engineering to something that I will enjoy but I just don't know what I will enjoy that will give me a good future at the same time. I am interested in doing some sort of sport science degree but the career prospects are kind of worrying :/

and motorbikes are fairly cheap for their speed btw, thats why they're sooooo much better than cars :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by noma5
[QUOTEuu]Why not do this when you have finished studying?

If you coumpleted your qualifications you will have a better chance of gettingthe job you want, more likely to be better paid, and therefore have a better life due to being able to afford the things you like, like motorbikes etc.

Have you tried the UCAS questionnaire where it tries to find a degree which suits you. It's completely free and you could start your research from there.

No this is the first i've heard of it and can't seem to find it could you link me it ? thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by kka25
[video="youtube;ZbFM3rn4ldo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbFM3rn4ldo[/video]

Sorry bro :/ it's just my opinion really doesn't interest me in the slightest just makes me wanna blow my brains out lol
I'm feeling like I'm wasting all my life studying and I just want to go out and live my life I want to forget about all the meaningless maths and science and do what i'm interested in and apply my knowledge to something that is practical.

I'm not like a lot of the people on here who have a passion for what they're applying to do like the sociologist in deep debates about controversial subjects and civil engineers talking about famous structures etc. I do however admire their passion and want to find a passion that I have whithin a course
The only things I'm interested in are:

birds (i'm NOT talking tweety birds btw)

motorbikes

bodybuilding

rugby

drinking

football

In terms of work I like:

problem solving

something that can be applied to real life and visualised e.g. PE talking about different types of training or sociologists debating about political issues or accountants discussing how to run a business unlike chemistry going on about things on a microscopic level or physicists going about nuclear sh*t which and things that actually have no understanding behind it and is just pure memory work like feynman diagrams and baryons and mesons

I'm not to sure about general practical work but I really hate scientific practicals with graphs and logs and errors :angry:

So i'm stuck I have no idea what to do. I'm currently doing maths, physics and chemistry and I want to do something that I feel will engage me but I have no idea which degree will push my buttons.

Are you kidding? You obviously haven't studied enough physics if you think that. Of all the subjects, physics is the one that this least applies to, infact the reason I was drawn to physics is precisely because it's not just an exercise in memorization & regurgitation. It's all about understanding, you just have to get the basics out of the way first. Eventually you find out where they come from, ie. the theory that predicts them, but at A-level you just have to accept a certain amount. I assure you everything you come across at A-level is deeply understood, it barely scratches the surface.

I do agree with you about the pointlessness of Feynman diagrams at A-level, but what you don't realise is those little lines and squiggles actually represent a hell of a lot. In short, they remove the need to bugger around with pages and pages of ugly mathematics. Each little line represents a massive equation, an equation that takes a lot of reasoning & understanding to derive. I'm a PhD student and I'm only just now starting to fully appreciate them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I'm a PhD student and I'm only just now starting to fully appreciate them.

Strange isn't it? Only after we go further and further in our education, then we gain more and more of an appreciation for these sort of things :sadnod:
Reply 19

No this is the first i've heard of it and can't seem to find it could you link me it ? thanks.

It seems UCAS doesn't offer it anymore :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending