The Student Room Group

Improving teacher training

Ok, so im in my 4th year doing primary education. and there is a lot of very important areas of teaching which we have had no/minimal lectures on. these include
- class management
- SEN paperwork (IEPs, Pivats, etc)
- bullying
- child protection
- working with teaching support staff
- inclusion of children in care/ young carers/ traveller/gypsy children etc

there is so much we havent covered, when we have had pointless modules on international schools and irrelevant policies and white papers.

so, does anyone have any ideas on what could be done to improve the training of teachers in the uk?
Reply 1
They need to be trained to grow some balls
Personally I think that an undergraduate degree in a curriculum subject and then a PGCE would be a better route, considering what you say your course is lacking. These are all very important factors that should be covered in depth. However I do wonder if your course expect these to be covered in school on placement? Hands on experience is invaluable and can be much more beneficial than lectures.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Taught that it's not a human right to earn 30k a year for six hours work a day.
Reply 4
Original post by Cattty
Ok, so im in my 4th year doing primary education. and there is a lot of very important areas of teaching which we have had no/minimal lectures on. these include
- class management
- SEN paperwork (IEPs, Pivats, etc)
- bullying
- child protection
- working with teaching support staff
- inclusion of children in care/ young carers/ traveller/gypsy children etc

there is so much we havent covered, when we have had pointless modules on international schools and irrelevant policies and white papers.

so, does anyone have any ideas on what could be done to improve the training of teachers in the uk?

Where are you studying? That does seen to be lacking a lot. I'm hoping to start a primary ed course next year. I know there are lots of books on that sort of thing so there's the option of looking into it yourself. I have child care qualifications that have covered those subjects though, so I should think that a degree would cover them too!
Reply 5
Original post by lascelles
Where are you studying? That does seen to be lacking a lot. I'm hoping to start a primary ed course next year. I know there are lots of books on that sort of thing so there's the option of looking into it yourself. I have child care qualifications that have covered those subjects though, so I should think that a degree would cover them too!

i have looked into them myself, so im ok. but what concerns me is there is a lot of people on my course who dont seem to have much knowledge on some of these subjects. i think we should be learning more things we can use in practice instead of having pointless large units on things such as international schools (which very few people will go into)
Original post by Cattty
i have looked into them myself, so im ok. but what concerns me is there is a lot of people on my course who dont seem to have much knowledge on some of these subjects. i think we should be learning more things we can use in practice instead of having pointless large units on things such as international schools (which very few people will go into)

At the end of the day, to achieve QTS you will need to show evidence against the standards. As long as you can do this you should be reasonable well prepared.

This was posted from The Student Roo
Reply 7
Original post by Snagprophet

So most teachers basic work hours are 7.30-3.30 on average. Thats 7 hours a day not including planning, parents evenings, marking, meetings ect. Also, the average wage is not 30k.
Original post by Snagprophet

I wish!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending