The Student Room Group

C3 January 2013 25/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JWz
Doing C3 and D1 in jan. Only thing that really troubles me is trig but I have quite a bit of time to get it right. Need an A* for UCL so I better start working soon, anyone else going for an A*?

Yep, resitting as I wanted to get 90 UMS. Got 84 last summer, which was something like 3 raw marks off 90 :nothing: The trig identities caught me out. Will join in with the fun timez on this thread soon.
Original post by jqian
Nope, my year is the 'guinea pig' year as the Maths Department is doing C3,C4,S2,D1 in January of Year 13 for the first time!

Did C1,C2,M1 in Jan 12 and M2,FP1,S1 in Jun 12, will do FP2 and FP3 in Jun 13.

I've heard FP3 is awful!

I should only have two maths exams in January and four in June.
Reply 42
Original post by ezioaudi77
Did you do C4 as well?

Yes
Reply 43
Original post by kanojyoxx
I've heard FP3 is awful!

I should only have two maths exams in January and four in June.

The plan is to do well in S2 so I don't need to do amazing in FP3 but Challenge Accepted! xD

I wish you the very best with your exams. By the way what subject are you applying for at uni?
In January I'm sitting both C3 and S2 which we've already completed and begun our revision in it. I'm hoping to get atleast 90% in both if not higher and also our school has begun C4 too which we will sit in june and I've already completed like 5 out of the 6 chapters in it so I should have a great deal of time available to revise. I'm hoping to get A* in both Maths and Further Maths, is that abit ambitious?? :smile:
Original post by franzk
How long did it take you to complete it?

Not long at all. Or, well, it wouldn't have taken me long. Basically, I started right after my AS exams, working on it during my frees, and completed half the book in.. 3 or 4 days, maybe.

I was going to finish the book in summer, but just couldn't force myself to work! :P and I still hate myself for it, because when school started, I first focused on my UCAS, then my PAT (Oxford aptitude test), so would basically spend about about an hour a week on C3.

Mind, when I say 'self-taught', I don't just mean I read the stuff and did a couple of questions - I spent the majority of the time doing end-of-chapter questions.
Original post by MathsNerd1
In January I'm sitting both C3 and S2 which we've already completed and begun our revision in it. I'm hoping to get atleast 90% in both if not higher and also our school has begun C4 too which we will sit in june and I've already completed like 5 out of the 6 chapters in it so I should have a great deal of time available to revise. I'm hoping to get A* in both Maths and Further Maths, is that abit ambitious?? :smile:

Don't you need 95%+ in C3 and C4 to get an A* in Maths?

I'm not sure about Further Maths haha obviously it depends on how good you are. I'm doing FP2, FP3 and M4 and they're exciting, but tbh I'm not expecting an A*. Maybe if I drop my fourth subject in January, I'll have more time to revise and possibly could get an A*.
Reply 47
Original post by audacious-ant
Don't you need 95%+ in C3 and C4 to get an A* in Maths?

I'm not sure about Further Maths haha obviously it depends on how good you are. I'm doing FP2, FP3 and M4 and they're exciting, but tbh I'm not expecting an A*. Maybe if I drop my fourth subject in January, I'll have more time to revise and possibly could get an A*.

If the exam board is Edexcel, then you need to get 180/200 UMS in C3 and C4 and at least 480/600 for the entire A Level for the A*.

As for further maths, you need to get 270/300 in 3 of your best A2 modules not used up in the Maths A-level. S2 is considered to be the easiest Further maths module to get high UMS though, so A* in Further maths is very much achievable if you stick at it and practise! :smile:
I've been told that it was an average of 90% between the two (C3+C4) for Maths and for Further Maths we've been told its an average of 90% between 3 A2 Modules, so I'm doing FP2 as well and so far its abit challenging but I sure do enjoy a challenge! What's FP3 like as I don't have to do it as I took a Module a year early and still obtained 90% in Year 11 which I was pleased with. Also where do you plan to apply to for Maths? I assume that'll be the course you plan to take at university. :smile:
Original post by jqian
If the exam board is Edexcel, then you need to get 180/200 UMS in C3 and C4 and at least 480/600 for the entire A Level for the A*.

As for further maths, you need to get 270/300 in 3 of your best A2 modules not used up in the Maths A-level. S2 is considered to be the easiest Further maths module to get high UMS though, so A* in Further maths is very much achievable if you stick at it and practise! :smile:

I found D2 quite easy to understand and achieve high results in too, however unfortunately I only got a B for my S2 as I made some really silly mistakes with my formulas and my teachers didn't explain Hypothesis testing properly to us. Maybe next time I'll be closer to 100% :biggrin:.
Reply 50
I've been told that it was an average of 90% between the two (C3+C4) for Maths and for Further Maths we've been told its an average of 90% between 3 A2 Modules, so I'm doing FP2 as well and so far its abit challenging but I sure do enjoy a challenge! What's FP3 like as I don't have to do it as I took a Module a year early and still obtained 90% in Year 11 which I was pleased with. Also where do you plan to apply to for Maths? I assume that'll be the course you plan to take at university. :smile:

I haven't started FP2 or FP3 yet but if you want to see what it has, go here and have a look at FP3 solution bank. I'm applying for computer science with maths. I'm applying for Cambridge (just CompSci), Imperial (CompSci and Joint Maths and CompSci), Bristol (just CompSci) and Manchester (Joint Maths and CompSci).
Original post by otrivine
Range if you are asked to find the range for example in inverse in f-1(x) you look at the domain i imagine right guys? and if you are given a graph you find where the line stops , you look at the y axis

Original post by Paddy S
I got 100/100 in C3. (June '12)

If anyone needs any help send me a message or quote me on this thread.

so how would you do this question: the function g is defined by g:x-->x/x-2, x ℝ, x>2, state the range of g.
:s
Reply 52
Original post by goldenfish
so how would you do this question: the function g is defined by g:x-->x/x-2, x ℝ, x>2, state the range of g.
:s

will the answer be >0
Reply 53
Original post by MedMed12
edexcel

Ah same :smile: Usually need about 70ish marks for the A* on C3, hoping to get mid-90s UMS though to set me up well for C4. Easier said than done!

Original post by suncake
Yep, resitting as I wanted to get 90 UMS. Got 84 last summer, which was something like 3 raw marks off 90 :nothing: The trig identities caught me out. Will join in with the fun timez on this thread soon.

Ah, hate trig so much haha. I just know that I will slip up in the exam on trig! Any tips for me? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jqian
I haven't started FP2 or FP3 yet but if you want to see what it has, go here and have a look at FP3 solution bank. I'm applying for computer science with maths. I'm applying for Cambridge (just CompSci), Imperial (CompSci and Joint Maths and CompSci), Bristol (just CompSci) and Manchester (Joint Maths and CompSci).

Will you have enough time to complete them both if you haven't began studying already? My Sixth Form began 6 weeks before we broke up last year to give us a lead on everything, plus thats when we did the majority of our C3 work to familarise ourself with the content. Also that sounds like a good range of universities you're applying to. I was considering of applying to Cambridge myself, however my As results didn't help my cause and made me unable to apply to Cambridge. I want to do a MMath at Birmingham, Nottingham, Warrick or Manchester really.:smile:

Ah, no, it's Physics I've applied for, actually :smile: Oxford, Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol and Lancaster (already got offers from the last three)

Oh, is it 90+? That would be awesome, because I can do 90% and over but I doubt I could reach 95. Lol last year I only got over 95% in one Further Maths module - FP1. C1 and C2 were 90%.

I did S1 last year and swore to myself I would never do statistics again - which is silly of me, since I'm into quantum physics and that involves loads of probability! But yes, I'm focusing on mechanics modules. My Maths teacher doesn't like decision maths, so no one in my class is doing it this year.

Tbh we haven't started FP3 yet, since FP2 is taking a while and we were doing 4 modules at one time, anyway. I've had a look through the book, though, and basically, there's more integration and differentiation, really complex-looking trig and hyperbolic functions and matrices. Some people have told me it's hard; others don't think it's that bad. But I've been told by some older kids last year that FP3 is a really important module and "there's no point doing F. Maths if you don't do FP3". I'm sure it's not like that, but I guess it's one of those modules that really helps in the first year of uni :P
will the answer be >0

answer sheet says >1, but dont understand how they got it.
Reply 57
Original post by goldenfish
answer sheet says >1, but dont understand how they got it.

are you sure that is the correct answer i keep getting >0 ? which paper
Original post by Paddy S
I got 100/100 in C3. (June '12)

If anyone needs any help send me a message or quote me on this thread.

How did you obtain that?! Are you like a genious or did you just hack away at the course until you knew it off by heart and no question would ever be able to slip you up?

I myself am aiming towards the 100% as I want an A* in Maths and the more i get in C3 the better chance I have with C4, even though I find C3 abit harder than C4 right now as the integration and vectors seems quite simple and straight forward really as I'm self teaching it to get a better understanding.

What tips would you suggest to me to help me achieve the highest of grades in the course?
are you sure that is the correct answer i keep getting >0 ? which paper

its not a past paper, its a question in the edexcel exercise book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending