The Student Room Group

C3 January 2013 25/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
You do seem to be extremely positive which is a great way to be and yeah you definitely have enough enthusiasm for your subject! And I'm always trying to be the best so I'm never truely happy until I am the best but I can always improve in some way, so you could say I have some enthusiasm :biggrin: And thanks, we're just as smart as eachother which is great cause we both clearly have some talent for our desired subject otherwise we wouldn't be getting as high of scores as we are! :tongue:

I thought it would be, so that means it was the one question worth 14 marks where if you didn't get the first bit then you couldn't do anymore to it really. It was the same in my school, I think it was just me and one other in my class that actually got through that question. It was a histogram question where you were asked to work out the Frequency Density, right? I would have gotten full marks if only I actually showed some working out for it and not just writing down the answer which I did, it frustrated me a bit.

Absolutely :smile: I love meeting people who are similar-minded to me and who have similar skills/abilities, as it's so much easier to get along that way and one can help the other. Of course, it's great to help others out if they're a little weaker and it's quiet helpful to have someone who is cleverer than you to ask for help, but I do rather enjoy working with people who are similar to me in mathematical abilities, for instance.

Yeah, I remember that question! I spent quite a while trying to figure it out but gave up haha I guess I'm a little less determined than you :P
Original post by audacious-ant
Absolutely :smile: I love meeting people who are similar-minded to me and who have similar skills/abilities, as it's so much easier to get along that way and one can help the other. Of course, it's great to help others out if they're a little weaker and it's quiet helpful to have someone who is cleverer than you to ask for help, but I do rather enjoy working with people who are similar to me in mathematical abilities, for instance.

Yeah, I remember that question! I spent quite a while trying to figure it out but gave up haha I guess I'm a little less determined than you :P

Thats the same as me really, like quite literally! And the question did take a lot but I wouldn't give up, I even risked all the marks for my other questions just to get that one right and when I actually cracked it I almost jumped up in the air like a good old nerd which wouldn't be good as I was under exam condititions as you do when you sit exams. Aha Nothing stops me from completing a question if I truely go at it, I've even spent a whole hour just on one question to get it right!

We should continue this some other time through PM maybe? But for now I have to go, got Sixth Form in the morning and I can't be tired for my Maths nor my Chemistry lessons! Aha :biggrin:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thats the same as me really, like quite literally! And the question did take a lot but I wouldn't give up, I even risked all the marks for my other questions just to get that one right and when I actually cracked it I almost jumped up in the air like a good old nerd which wouldn't be good as I was under exam condititions as you do when you sit exams. Aha Nothing stops me from completing a question if I truely go at it, I've even spent a whole hour just on one question to get it right!

We should continue this some other time through PM maybe? But for now I have to go, got Sixth Form in the morning and I can't be tired for my Maths nor my Chemistry lessons! Aha :biggrin:

Hahah I know that feeling, when you finally get a question! :biggrin:

And yeah, definitely, through PM is better haha not to annoy anyone, as it seems currently we're the only ones on this thread atm. :P And yeah I've got school tomorrow, too, so better get some sleep!
Original post by jqian
Preferably Maths with Computer Science but also applied for courses with just Computer Science in.

Haha, I remember every time I do a maths exam and flick through the formula sheet, the look of horror on my face when I see the FP3 formula sheets is almost priceless!

I think the tables for statistics where it's just loads of numbers scares people the most!
Reply 104
I've got c1 (retake for 100 ums), c3, c4, m1, phy1, chem2, chem 4 all in january. Self studying c3 and c4.
Reply 105
Original post by Aqib7
I've got c1 (retake for 100 ums), c3, c4, m1, phy1, chem2, chem 4 all in january. Self studying c3 and c4.

Wow, I wish you luck with that!
Reply 106
Original post by jqian
Wow, I wish you luck with that!

Thanks i'm actually finding c3 and c4 pretty easy even fp2.
If anyone goes looking for the C3 June 2012 Paper and MS, I have attached it here.
Also, does anyone know a good way of remembering the trig identities? I find them so hard to remember. =( (Further trig identities, not the first trig chapter).
Original post by Scienceisgood
If anyone goes looking for the C3 June 2012 Paper and MS, I have attached it here.
Also, does anyone know a good way of remembering the trig identities? I find them so hard to remember. =( (Further trig identities, not the first trig chapter).

Just remember how to derive them (don't remember the actual identities) and derive them at the start of your exam and write them down on your formula book so you'll always have them the in the exam.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 109
Does anybody know how good elmwood papers are??
Reply 110
My teacher said that chapter 7 isn't part of the spec anymore and when I checked the spec online I couldn't seem to find anything about it either, anyone else know about this?
Reply 111
Original post by sebi
My teacher said that chapter 7 isn't part of the spec anymore and when I checked the spec online I couldn't seem to find anything about it either, anyone else know about this?

Im 100% sure further trig is part of c3 still
Reply 112
wow audacious ant and maths nerd are really keeping the conversation going at this rate theyll be doing english literacy next
Reply 113
Original post by franzk
Im 100% sure further trig is part of c3 still

Wait, chapter 7 for me in tne book we use is "proof" , I probably should have mentioned I'm with edexcel...
Original post by Scienceisgood

The only thing you have the remember is the R formula... everything else is either in the formulae sheet or can be derived from what's given in the formulae sheet.
Reply 115
I love how this thread just died 3 weeks ago lool :P
Reply 116
Original post by franzk
Does anybody know how good elmwood papers are??

in my opinion elmwood are a bit easier than solomon so i would suggest you try the solomon papers first if you haven't yet and then do elmwood :smile:
Reply 117
Someone explain domains and ranges of functions to me please? Like, if you aren't given the range of a function, how do you know the domain of its inverse? For some reason I just can't get my head around this simple topic :lol:
Original post by sebi
Wait, chapter 7 for me in tne book we use is "proof" , I probably should have mentioned I'm with edexcel...

It's in my book too (I'm on OCR) but we haven't covered it at all in class so I'm assuming that it's not on the syllabus any more. Plus I haven't come across any past exam questions with it in.
Original post by suncake
Someone explain domains and ranges of functions to me please? Like, if you aren't given the range of a function, how do you know the domain of its inverse? For some reason I just can't get my head around this simple topic :lol:

You can work out the range of a function from its domain - the best method is to draw a graph and then work out the maximum and minimum points of the graph. For example, if you're given a quadratic just draw the graph and work out the vertex, then the range is everything greater than or equal to that point (if it's positive) or everything less than or equal to that point (if negative).

For the inverse function, the range of the original function is the domain of the inverse function.

I hate functions though. It's my least favourite topic of C3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending