The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You also need to bare in mind that a Mercedes will not be a cheap car to keep. Some parts can easily cost 3 times what the same part would cost for a Ford or Vauxhall.

To top it off a 1.8 C class isn't actually a very special car, it's the very bottom rung of Mercedes ownership. I don't think they're even made in Germany. Around the time that car was made Merc were owned by Chrysler (not the last word in quality).

If you want a nice comfy car with a leather interior then look at the luxury versions of the mainstream cars. You will be able to get a newer, better specced car for your money.
Original post by KCLeblanc
You also need to bare in mind that a Mercedes will not be a cheap car to keep. Some parts can easily cost 3 times what the same part would cost for a Ford or Vauxhall.

To top it off a 1.8 C class isn't actually a very special car, it's the very bottom rung of Mercedes ownership. I don't think they're even made in Germany. Around the time that car was made Merc were owned by Chrysler (not the last word in quality).

If you want a nice comfy car with a leather interior then look at the luxury versions of the mainstream cars. You will be able to get a newer, better specced car for your money.

A Vectra Elite springs to mind. Plenty of kit for a first car. That's what I'd get for that sort of money. Cheap body parts. Decent mechanical prices, but get one with the flywheel done.
hi mate can u plz tell on which site or company is offering u 3000 excess.
So if your car gets robbed then that's car value - £3000, you might as well get TPO.
That is because 1.8litre Mercedes aren't designed for being driven by inexperienced drivers- you have had your licence five months, that is exactly what you are.

Buy something cheap to run- not only is there the insurance your fuel bill will be through the roof.
i would think of it this way. if, heaven forbid, you did have a crash and your car was written off, your insurer would make a payout of less than what your excess is. this would mean that you would owe them the difference between the book price of the car and your excess. this would leave you with no car, and you would be out of pocket.
Reply 26
I wouldn't even bother, you could have a slight nudge and it could be your fault and then you have to pay that stupid excess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 27
I wouldn't. Am in the middle of taking them to court if an accident is 50 50. U pay for both sides. Which reachers an excess of 5 grand upwards stay away from this company. ....
Reply 28
Just take out an excess protection policy you can get £2000 cover for about £80 leaving you with only a £1000 excess ..if you use the £2000 cover you can just pay another £80 and get another £2000 cover. I got mine from a broker called Academy insurance but I believe they are widely available including online, although i struggled to find cover for more than £1000 online.
hope this helps and enjoy the car !
Reply 29
Original post by MrWhosane
The excess is towards your own car. They pay the 3rd party no matter what. You pay the first 3k towards your own car repairs.

If you feel you can cover the costs for your car then go ahead. It's up to you really.

Sorry, this is nonsense. The excess is towards the cost of the claim. If you're at fault, you pay for the repair of your car and the other insurer will recover the cost of repair of the other car from your insurer.

If you do £100 worth of damage to your car and £5000 of damage to the Ferrari you bumped, you will loose your full £3000 excess as it cost your insurance £5100.
I doubt the OP is too concerned with peoples' opinions on this, given that he hopefully has 3 years of NCB by now...
Reply 31
Original post by kiai8
If you do have an accident you'll have to pay at least £3000.

Don't ever say that you'll never have an accident and that you'll be really careful etc, it's not only your mistakes that you have to watch out for, its other peoples', and they can be unpredictable.

Wait are you saying that if you get into an accident and you don’t even make a claim to get your car repaired, you still have to pay the 3k excess? How does that make sense when excess is only triggered when you claim for repair of your vehicle?
Original post by Djtcell
Wait are you saying that if you get into an accident and you don’t even make a claim to get your car repaired, you still have to pay the 3k excess? How does that make sense when excess is only triggered when you claim for repair of your vehicle?

You're responding to a thread that's 6 years old, Kiai hasn't been active here in almost 7 months, check dates next time.
Original post by nevershear
You're responding to a thread that's 6 years old, Kiai hasn't been active here in almost 7 months, check dates next time.

It could help other people in similar situations.
Original post by Boss987
It could help other people in similar situations.

If the question was actually asked correctly and made sense to answer yes, but it doesn't. The 3k policies are usually all sections, you hit someone, you pay 3k of it, you hit anything - you pay 3k of your own damages (which pretty much means unless you write your car off, all the scuffs, scrapes and dents are your responsibility to pay for); they hit you - you claim off their insurance; in short any claim against your policy you are liable for up to £3000 for. This is explained by every insurer offering this policy (which more or less usually always leads back to XS Direct). Djtcell didn't understand clearly that that excess applies only if you claim (so basically like pretty much every other insurance policy then).. There isn't really much value for discussion; I don't see how gravedigging a thread that has multiple duplicates not just on these boards but everywhere else could possibly be a good idea, the information is there, if it still doesn't help then you start fresh and ask, else it just becomes a mess.

Unless you've got £3000 disposable or you have a lot of driving experience and know you aren't going to claim on your own policy for the year; you never ever take out one of these policies.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending