The Student Room Group

AS Maths Self Teaching ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dan94adibi
Hmmm perhaps you are more confident with physics than I am in general.
And talking about stats you'll need a deep understanding of questions when you get to S3 but S2 is much easier than S1 if you know what you're doing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hmmm maybe?

Aah S3/4 maybe, safe to say I won't be touching them
Original post by Data
This is not a legitimate combination and would not get you an AS. If you really wanted to avoid applied Maths then you could do C1, C2 and C3 and get an AS in Pure Maths but C3 is significantly harder than S1, D1 or M1 and you'd be better off sticking with one of these. M1 is very easy if you do Physics but S1 would be more use for a medic.

(Saying that I am afraid that your chances of getting in to Med School with a C in GCSE maths are negligible.)

Please see attachment Capture1.PNG
Original post by shanej13
Hello , I want to be a doctor so i am trying to self study for AS maths next year but have no clue what exam board to pick and what units to choose. I can't to AS Maths at school because i only got a C in it.

I think that Davros and Matt San may have a point.

Some universities also consider your GCSE results when you apply to them and I'm sure a C in GCSE maths wouldn't really help your case, particular if you want to study a competitive course like medicine. Did you get a C because you weren't trying or because you genuinely struggled with the work? If you struggle with maths then I would say that trying to take it at A Level will never be a good idea. It will cause you stress and probably negatively impact your other subjects.

I know that lots of people want to be a doctor but have you thought about why you want to do it? Are you doing it because that seems to be the only option to consider or because of pressure from your parents, etc.? Remember that medicine isn't the only route to follow from science A Levels, and if you are struggling with GCSE maths than you will probably find yourself in the same situation with A Level and beyond.

I would recommend really thinking about your current position before you commit to self-teaching A Level maths. it will be a difficult thing to do and from what I can see it might not be the right choice for you.
how long would it take to self teach C1 and C2? Could I do it in 8 weekends along with 1 hours revision each night? Spending 7/8 hours on purely maths(with breaks).
Original post by polaritymolecule
how long would it take to self teach C1 and C2? Could I do it in 8 weekends along with 1 hours revision each night? Spending 7/8 hours on purely maths(with breaks).

Theoretically you could cover the content of C2 in one weekend and then practise loads over that week..

Same for C1 and M1.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Theoretically you could cover the content of C2 in one weekend and then practise loads over that week..

Same for C1 and M1.

I take it that would be the case if you are exceptionally intelligent? Something I am not :laugh:
Original post by polaritymolecule
I take it that would be the case if you are exceptionally intelligent? Something I am not :laugh:

Well if you did 7/8 hours on Saturday. And 7/8 hours on Sunday... It's possible:tongue:
Reply 47
Original post by whydoesithappen
I think that Davros and Matt San may have a point.

Some universities also consider your GCSE results when you apply to them and I'm sure a C in GCSE maths wouldn't really help your case, particular if you want to study a competitive course like medicine. Did you get a C because you weren't trying or because you genuinely struggled with the work? If you struggle with maths then I would say that trying to take it at A Level will never be a good idea. It will cause you stress and probably negatively impact your other subjects.

I know that lots of people want to be a doctor but have you thought about why you want to do it? Are you doing it because that seems to be the only option to consider or because of pressure from your parents, etc.? Remember that medicine isn't the only route to follow from science A Levels, and if you are struggling with GCSE maths than you will probably find yourself in the same situation with A Level and beyond.

I would recommend really thinking about your current position before you commit to self-teaching A Level maths. it will be a difficult thing to do and from what I can see it might not be the right choice for you.

I dont think he's asian so the pressure theory doesn't apply.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well if you did 7/8 hours on Saturday. And 7/8 hours on Sunday... It's possible:tongue:

Hmm, Interesting :P
Reply 49
Original post by reubenkinara
Please see attachment Capture1.PNG

I think we've both been wrong. YOu're right that this is a legitimate option with AQA, but gets you an AS in Pure Maths, not Further Pure as you originally said. However, if you do Edexcel then you have to do C1, C2 and C3 to get an AS in Pure Maths. Don't know about the other boards.
Reply 50
Original post by HenryD
Nope it's chemistry plus at least 1 other of physics, biology or maths I think :-) but obviously with it being so competitive you'll get a lot of people who do 3 or all 4 so maths is pretty common. Further maths is liked too but not a requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most med schools want A2 Chemistry and at least AS Biology. Physics and Maths are completely irrelevant unless you're applying to certain Cambridge colleges which require 3 of A2 Chem/Bio/Phys/Maths.
Reply 51
Original post by Ronove
Most med schools want A2 Chemistry and at least AS Biology. Physics and Maths are completely irrelevant unless you're applying to certain Cambridge colleges which require 3 of A2 Chem/Bio/Phys/Maths.

Oxford only ask for one of Bio, Phys or Maths too, I assumed that this was the norm but perhaps not then.

Quick Reply

Latest